What's new

What do you wish your first straight was?

20 years ago I picked up a dovo Bismarck special and something vintage from somebody on eBay. I never ended up sticking with it, but still have the dovo (which I will get re-honed by a pro at some point).

Fast forward to now, I've been DE shaving for a few years, and bought way too much gear, and I'm looking at snagging a couple straights because I have a spending problem.

So in hind sight how do you wish you would have started? Gold dollar? Custom? Vintage? Spend more? Spend less?

Was happy with the Gold Dollar as a starter but wouldn’t have purchased any additional full hollows consider I don’t prefer the grind.

Filarmonica 14. Answering for *myself* per the Q.

I accept that it's probably a terrible recommendation on nearly every other front (pricing, availability, etc.). But it was So Much Easier to use (for me) than smaller blades, heavier grinds, etc. that I would have had a more fun, more relaxed entry to the practice.

I started with a 5/8 near wedge (boo), a 5/8 full hollow (hiss) and finally experienced enjoyment with a 6/8 thumbnotch shoulderless Aust. As soon as I tried a 7/8 (Revisor) I wished I'd started with that. As soon as I located a 14 I wished I'd started with *that* :)

My first razor was a smiling 7/8, 1/4 hollow with a square point. The only thing I regret is not getting it honed properly when I got it.
More then 10 years later still find this razor to be easier to use then one of my 5/8 razors.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
My first SR was a Dorko 6/8, hollow grind, round toe, upper and lower jumps. That was 30+ years ago, still using it regularly today. I’m lucky I didn’t destroy that blade way back then due to neglect and inexperience. Thankfully I put it aside until I was ready to learn how to maintain it. The razor was good, it was me who had issues.

My first was a Wostenholm and Sons 5/8 1/2 hollow with round point. I found it a bit tough to use and ended up getting several more in the 5/8 and 6/8 size. Seems awkward using them, although I managed. I finally ended up with a 7/8 Friodur 17 and that opened a whole new world for me. My beard is rather coarse and the 7/8 was so easy and comfortable. I've realized as I got several larger blades, that size does matter for me. So, I wish I would have started with a larger blade than messing around with little ones.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I almost got my wish as a first SR. It was a Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60. I say "almost" as I should have had it professionally honed. Unfortunately there were no honemeisters that I knew of in the Philippines so I had to teach myself. Thankfully I found the Method on B&B.

The T.H.60 was a great beginner's SR for me. It was not expensive at about US$20 including shipping, and readily available. With a proper edge, it is very comfortable to shave with and with the more obtuse bevel angle, very forgiving for a n00bie.

If not the Titan, I would wish for a Gold Dollar (a bit cheaper). The reason I prefer the Titan is because it has timber scales, better steel, quality of finish and better balanced than the plastic scales of the GD. I'm a timber sort of bloke.

I started out with a Dovo 5/8 full-hollow square point. Bought it from Jarrod at TSS who wrote that it probably wasn't the first choice for beginners. So, of course I had to have it.

By way of coincidence, I shaved with the same model razor today. A really nice shave.

Would I change anything in hindsight? It was what it was, and I don't really regret anything there. Perhaps a half-hollow would have been a bit more forgiving and allowed more variance as to the shaving angle.

So, started with a new,5/8ths Bowdin Blue hollow grind, my barber ordered for me. Shaved with it for 10 years.

Then one day walked into an Antique Store, furniture shopping with my bride, in the early 80’s. There were display cases of NOS boxed razor wrapped in original tissue, of all flavors $5-10, unboxed used, $2-5 and all sizes, colors and shapes of stones.

I bought a few razors, but wish I knew then... Lord knows what I passed up.

My first razor was a Geneva, 5/8 full hollow with a round point. In retrospect it was actually pretty forgiving and had a decent edge when I started. It also had belonged to my grandfather, my folks gave it to me as a conversation piece as much as anything.

I think it was a nice starting point and while I like a lot of different sizes and grinds some of my favorites are very similar to that razor both in size, style, and look (thinking of a handful of Heljestrands and a Söderén). So I wouldn't change a thing, honestly.

I have since given it to my nephew as *his* first straight razor, and he's successfully navigated head and face shaving with it and even taught himself to hone, with some direction me. So I think it's served him well as a first straight too.

As I think about it, since it was stamped Geneva Cutlery Inc, it would have made between 1928 and 1934, so it's very possible it was my grandpa's first straight razor too. He would have been 18 in 1928.

First and only razor for years was the dreaded Dovo Best Quality 5/8 round point. Epitome of "Your first razor should be this!"

Mailed it to Lynn Abrams for sharpening straight away because reports they aren't factory sharp, and I was happy as **** with it for a great long time.

I don't know that I would change anything because I can't imagine how it would have impacted my learning which was quite enjoyable. I wanted a full hollow early, a 6/8-7/8 full hollow really is a favorite for me, but would I put that in my hands learning? Dunno, could have been a bad idea for sure..

Knowing what I know now, my first razor would have been a Fili14, or a Koraat 14.2.

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that, it took me time and a lot of money to learn what I really like. So many choices, with so many recommendations.

My first razors were a pair of Famous Es-ex razors bought on eBay for around £25. They were no way near shave ready, so it took me a while to learn how to hone them properly. I still have them and still use them, very nice razors. Unfortunately my learning-to-hone experience left them with more spine wear than they should have.

Come to think about it, maybe it's all for the best, that spine wear is better on a cheap vintage than on a Fili or Koraat!

I started with a Boker Red Injun that I found in an antique store. Tried to hone it myself and bombed so I sent it off to Lynn Abrams for a proper honing. Wouldn’t change a thing!

My first razor was a Dovo Carre 6/8 full hollow from Jared at TSS. Wouldn't change a thing!

Legion

Staff member
I started with a shave ready vintage straight (the name of which I can't remember, and it has since been passed on to another newbie), which I got off a member here. Shortly after I started restoring vintage straights off ebay, and used the first one as my honing benchmark, which worked out pretty well.

First and only razor for years was the dreaded Dovo Best Quality 5/8 round point. Epitome of "Your first razor should be this!"
I'm not even a SR neophyte yet. Have been doing a fair bit of research trying to make my mind up whether I want to put my toe in the water. I have read suggestions for "friendly" straights to ease the transition into the game. And yes, that Dovo gets mentioned. Before I make any decisions, can you elaborate on the dreaded part? I enjoy the opinions of seasoned shavers and what they might do differently if they could. I have an ignorant opinion that my personal preference will be toward a 7/8 and at the very least a 6/8. Can I just skip past the Dovo 5/8 even as a newbie?

Top Bottom