What's new

What do you want/expect from your barber?

1. Don’t make too much small talk. I can’t stand a barber who does nothing but talk. I had one guy who used to talk for 20 minutes straight after I sat in the chair - had to remind him I was on my lunch break, and could he start the haircut, please. Great barber, but a little too much of a “character.”
2. Cut my hair the way I ask, even if you think it won’t work for me. I’ll figure that out myself. Example: went for a buzz cut once. The barber, who knew me well, asked, “Really?” He did the buzz cut just the way I wanted, and he was right, the buzz did not work for me, but I needed to see it for myself. The customer is always right, even when they are obviously wrong.
3. If you use a DE or shavette for the neckline, use a new blade. One barber I tried a few times used to just dip the razor and blade in Barbasol after each customer. No. Not cool, for way obvious reasons. Use a new blade.

Good luck.
You mean't Barbicide I think. After a ten minute soak everything's dead. My barber did the same thing, clipper heads got soaked too in between customers.

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

I'm happy if they're attentive and think of trimming my bushy eyebrows without being asked. A scalp massage is good, but only by a woman. There are places where they offer you a cup of coffee - also good.

[Snip]

That is what a man wants in a barber. Unless she is female and hot-then nothing else matters.

I have wasted so much money over the years on services due to hot women that I could probably dream of a better retirement one day. I've had enough looks from Mrs. Rookie after parting with my cash to a beautiful woman in tight yoga pants and tank top. It's something I had to learn for myself I suppose. Barber/stylist, bartender, travel agent, whatever, yes being a hot woman will certainly get me in the door once. But if I am unhappy with the quality of service, I won't darken the doorway again. Doesn't matter how hot or how much [body part] is spilling out the [item of clothing], if you can't give me a good haircut or if you screw up my Manhattan, then how hot you are or aren't doesn't make one slight bit of difference.

I have wasted so much money over the years on services due to hot women that I could probably dream of a better retirement one day. I've had enough looks from Mrs. Rookie after parting with my cash to a beautiful woman in tight yoga pants and tank top. It's something I had to learn for myself I suppose. Barber/stylist, bartender, travel agent, whatever, yes being a hot woman will certainly get me in the door once. But if I am unhappy with the quality of service, I won't darken the doorway again. Doesn't matter how hot or how much [body part] is spilling out the [item of clothing], if you can't give me a good haircut or if you screw up my Manhattan, then how hot you are or aren't doesn't make one slight bit of difference.

I believe you......

really, I do!

I want to thank everyone for their responses. What Im getting is that some people want their barber to connect with them on a personal level and some want their barber to just shut up and cut their hair.
What Im also getting is that I need to have the attitude that Im excited to be there and make every customer feel like Im excited to cut THEIR hair and that in the moment when theyre in my chair, they are the most important person in the world to me.
Im also getting that you want your barber to be professional and to value your time.
It kind of reminds me what my barber once told me when I asked her what advice she would have for someone trying to break into the business. She told me something like, "you can train anyone to cut hair but the personal touch is what separates a great barber from an ordinary barber."

I have to say that technique and skill matter too. We have a few barbers in our family and they are very successful. Onecused to cut the hair of some of the local TV celebrities and was charging them five times what a regular hair cut cost at the time. The ones who are really good are true artist and take immense pride in their work, and the haircut you get from one of them looks like it.

I remember not too long ago our young 20 something organist at our parish, who never looked particularly well groomed came in with his hair cut and beard trimmed perfectly. The ladies were all ohhing and awing over him, and asked him where he got his hair cut and beard trimmed. He pulled out a card and said that he finally found a barber (Italian) that knew what he was doing and it cost 80 bucks but was worth every penny. Well, he was right. The ladies said so.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I want to thank everyone for their responses. What Im getting is that some people want their barber to connect with them on a personal level and some want their barber to just shut up and cut their hair.
What Im also getting is that I need to have the attitude that Im excited to be there and make every customer feel like Im excited to cut THEIR hair and that in the moment when theyre in my chair, they are the most important person in the world to me.
Im also getting that you want your barber to be professional and to value your time.
It kind of reminds me what my barber once told me when I asked her what advice she would have for someone trying to break into the business. She told me something like, "you can train anyone to cut hair but the personal touch is what separates a great barber from an ordinary barber."

You pretty much summed it up. Another way to sum it up is my slogan: "Do your job, and don't be a [jerk." (obviously, I use a different word, but that one is a no-no around here (which is fine with me.))

Before I get into more of an answer, let me bring up something that rarely comes up. Be aware that many have an allergy or sensitivity to fragrances. I have an actual allergy to an ingredient that is in a lot of fragrances. If you put Clubman powder on me, I'll start sneezing and wheezing and itching, and I'll be a mess until I get home and shower (and even a while after that). Ask your customer if they have the same issue, and have a hypoallergenic option available.

To respond more specifically to your initial question, I expect a barber to be good at cutting hair above all. Anything else is nice or good to have and might very well be a tie breaker when I choose between barbers. However, all that other stuff doesn't mean a thing if the haircut isn't good. As for the shave, massage, mudpack, or shampoo, I expect a barber to offer it and be at least competent at it. Otherwise, you're like a mechanic that can't do a brake job.

By the same token, though, I expect you to charge for your time and expertise. If the full treatment takes as much of your time as it takes you to do 3 haircuts, charge accordingly. Make your prices and services clear and obvious.

If you own the store and set the prices, let folks know (if it's not obvious), and don't accept tips unless your customer insists. Likewise, don't expect someone to tip you if you are the owner. Many of us have understood for a long time that it is not proper.

I have no problem at all with barbers that take appointments. I like that, actually. I often have to plan my day a bit, and I like to know that I can walk in without worrying whether there are 3 guys waiting. Certainly take walk-ins, but keep your appointments.

With regard to the other things folks have mentioned, it's good to be personally sensitive to your customer. I don't mean to bend over backwards, but just be situationally aware of who's in the chair and anyone who may be waiting. If you try to start a conversation, and it doesn't take, don't force it. If someone just wants to vent, let them. If both of you want to converse, walk and talk so that you can keep your next appointment or promptly take care of anyone waiting. And, then, there's that

I've noticed barbers keeping notes about new customers. It sounds like a good idea to jot down a few so you can get to know what sort of service(s) your customer likes. What sort of cut? What sort of powder, rub, etc? Massage or no?

You pretty much summed it up. Another way to sum it up is my slogan: "Do your job, and don't be a [jerk." (obviously, I use a different word, but that one is a no-no around here (which is fine with me.))

Before I get into more of an answer, let me bring up something that rarely comes up. Be aware that many have an allergy or sensitivity to fragrances. I have an actual allergy to an ingredient that is in a lot of fragrances. If you put Clubman powder on me, I'll start sneezing and wheezing and itching, and I'll be a mess until I get home and shower (and even a while after that). Ask your customer if they have the same issue, and have a hypoallergenic option available.

To respond more specifically to your initial question, I expect a barber to be good at cutting hair above all. Anything else is nice or good to have and might very well be a tie breaker when I choose between barbers. However, all that other stuff doesn't mean a thing if the haircut isn't good. As for the shave, massage, mudpack, or shampoo, I expect a barber to offer it and be at least competent at it. Otherwise, you're like a mechanic that can't do a brake job.

By the same token, though, I expect you to charge for your time and expertise. If the full treatment takes as much of your time as it takes you to do 3 haircuts, charge accordingly. Make your prices and services clear and obvious.

If you own the store and set the prices, let folks know (if it's not obvious), and don't accept tips unless your customer insists. Likewise, don't expect someone to tip you if you are the owner. Many of us have understood for a long time that it is not proper.

I have no problem at all with barbers that take appointments. I like that, actually. I often have to plan my day a bit, and I like to know that I can walk in without worrying whether there are 3 guys waiting. Certainly take walk-ins, but keep your appointments.

With regard to the other things folks have mentioned, it's good to be personally sensitive to your customer. I don't mean to bend over backwards, but just be situationally aware of who's in the chair and anyone who may be waiting. If you try to start a conversation, and it doesn't take, don't force it. If someone just wants to vent, let them. If both of you want to converse, walk and talk so that you can keep your next appointment or promptly take care of anyone waiting. And, then, there's that

I've noticed barbers keeping notes about new customers. It sounds like a good idea to jot down a few so you can get to know what sort of service(s) your customer likes. What sort of cut? What sort of powder, rub, etc? Massage or no?
Thats some great advice. Thank you. I didnt even think about asking people if they are alergic to an aftershave. The vast majority of barbers Ive been to typically dont even off it and those that do have never asked me if I like a particular aftershave.

Top Bottom