What's new

What do you value most with a shave?

I value the result more than anything. It's very hard for me to enjoy the process itself since it almost never goes perfectly; any minor tugging, minor irritation, wanting it to be over, etc. My face is just too sensitive to really enjoy it while it's going on, but if I dot my all my i's and cross my t's, I feel like a million bucks by the time I walk out the door, and that's good enough, until I can make it better, if that's even possible.

I value...results!

barbasol gillette fine december 14 2018.jpg

Before I started with wet shaving, I shaved every day (one pass) without any problem, but to be honest I don't remember much of the total experience or result because this was something I just did to finish quickly.

Now that wet shaving has become a hobby, I memorize every detail of the complete shave, soaps, razor blade, razor, passes, and how long it should take between each shave to get the most comfortable shave.

For me it means a lot to get the optimal feeling of a perfect shave once or twice a week but to get to this I have to wait 3 days of growth, then I can enjoy 3-4 passes (BBS)

I can shave every day (2pass) with a gentle razor and ok result, but I think it's worth three days waiting for the perfect feeling.

What do you value most with a shave?

This is my feeling exactly. I too used to shave with a cart every day for work. While still working I found double edge razors and learned how to shave properly. Because of work I shaved every day but it wasn't always pretty because I was still learning. I feel that I've perfected my shave routine and technique but I am now no longer working. I'm hoping that will change. But I have found that waiting until the 3rd day gives me an incredible shave that lasts a day and a half if not two days. If I shave on back to back days, the second day's shave is never all that great, even with a more mild razor. Therefore, I agree. It's worth the wait.

I enjoy the exfoliating and hygiene aspect. After that, escalating the experience with sharper blades, more aggressive razors. For me, there is some element of embracing suffering driving the whole experience forward, to always be closer to the edge (as an ultra-endurance athlete these themes tend to permeate a lot of my activities :lol1:).

I too value the whole experience. That enjoyment is why I bother to bowl lather half the time, as someone said here before it's like a Japanese Tea Ceremony experience. And I'm a lucky man, I always, always get a bbs result and can go a month or more between weepers.

For me it's the relaxation and lack of irritation and ingrown hairs. It's why I started shaving with a DE in the first place. But I also enjoy handling a quality all-metal razor with a sharp blade in it. To feel the heft and class it oozes. That being said, I still shave my head with a cartridge razor, as the skin on my head is more resilient and can handle that type of shaving without any problems.
For my face, however, I will never return to a regular cartridge razor unless I have no choice.

Top Bottom