What's new

What Do You Use To Wipe The Blade Of Your SR?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
After each SR shave I use to wipe the blade with one of my face towels to clean it before pasted balsa stropping. Then I decided to switch to facial tissue to wipe it clean.

Yesterday I was talking with an optometrist friend and she said that facial tissue was rather abrasive and that is why it should not be used on lenses. This got me thinking that maybe clean moist chamois may be better.

My main concern here is to protect the balde's edge. Your thoughts please.

Basic wipedown with microfiber cloth not touching the edge after which I lay the cloth on my hand and strop on the fabric to clean edge, then hit leather...

Sorry guess I’m kinda old school, after shaving I rinse blade clean then wipe dry with the same small hand that I use during the shave then a few quick laps on linen and leather then put away and I store my blades openly

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Sorry, I don't think I explained myself well enough.

My procedure is; wipe blade, strop blade on clean leather, shave, rinse blade with running water, wipe blade, strop blade on 0.1u pasted balsa strop, oil blade and then put it away. It's the "wipe blade" parts that this topic is referring to.

After shaving, I use an alcohol spray (hand sanitizer in a little spray bottle) and 3m microfibre cloth to clear all the water and soap Residue on the bade and in the pivot. Then I strop briefly to clean the edge, only 10 or so passes. I leave it in the open to dry completely for about 24hrs.

at that point, if I know it will be out of use for a while, it gets a light oil coating with one of those nifty Japanese applicators before being put away. I also store razors in relative open air, not a closed drawer.

Sorry, I don't think I explained myself well enough.

My procedure is; wipe blade, strop blade on clean leather, shave, rinse blade with running water, wipe blade, strop blade on 0.1u pasted balsa strop, oil blade and then put it away. It's the "wipe blade" parts that this topic is referring to.

have I understood - you strop on pasted balsa every use of the blade?

A quick hot water rinse to clean and heat the blade and then a few swipes on a silk handkerchief. The heat from the water will help the blade to dry quickly, the hotter the better. An Egyptian cotton towel would probably work equally well in a pinch. After that, a few dozen spine leading strops on linen.

The key is to use hot water. Don’t use anything more abrasive than you would use on your own skin. Keep the chamois leather in the garage for the car. It will not get the razor dry enough and could contaminate it with dirt from the road.

Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
While shaving, nothing. Lather should rinse off under the faucet if it‘s properly hydrated for SR shaving. if it sticks to the blade, it needs more water. If this happens, I just use my fingers under a stream of water. Do not move fingers TOWARD the blade, lol.

Honing or post shave, not paper Unless I’ve tested them to not scratch.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Toilet paper, avoiding the edge of the edge, including within the scales and around the pin.

Followed by stropping like this, in this order.
  1. linen, six round trips.
  2. horse shell, six round trips.
  3. denim, six round trips.
  4. horse shell, 12 to 20 round trips.
Happy shaves,

Jim

I just give my SRs a quick wipe with toilet paper and go very gently over the cutting edge. I follow that with 10 passes in the linen and another 10 passes on the horsehide. Back into the drawer it goes until the next use. Never had an issue.

After each SR shave I use to wipe the blade with one of my face towels to clean it before pasted balsa stropping. Then I decided to switch to facial tissue to wipe it clean.

Yesterday I was talking with an optometrist friend and she said that facial tissue was rather abrasive and that is why it should not be used on lenses. This got me thinking that maybe clean moist chamois may be better.

The same kind of microfiber cloth an optician would use to clean glasses. It has zero abrasives.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

Dry washcloth

If your glasses have uncoated glass lenses, using tissue paper, towel paper, etc. would be fine. However, these days, most lenses are made with high-refractive index polycarbonate which then get thin coatings to improve light transmission, provide UV protection, reduce reflections, etc. Thus, using anything abrasive on these newer lenses is likely to scratch the coating.

Top Bottom