Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Trimmer and scissors

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Barber

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
I use both a trimmer and scissors. I like to keep the chin longer than my trimmers go, so I scissor cut the chin. During the winter months it's mostly scissors, but I occasionally thin the stache out with a trimmer. During the summer I keep the sides shorter and use a trimmer to fade the beard into my shaved head.

I use this WAHL trimmer. Works great. I use it with and without the attachments.

Wahl.JPG

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I use the Andis Fade for trimming and a dedicated moustache scissors for the tips.

Before I cut my beard (too much gray), I always used a trimmer except when I was just cutting back the mustache a tad (that was sometimes done with scissors). I would pay the barber to do it if I hadn't trimmed in a bit and I was getting a haircut anyway (no hair to clean up off the bathroom sink and floor). For the shaping of my beard I used everything from the clippers with no guard, to an electric (especially when I did a goatee instead of a full beard and had a larger area to cut), to various cartridge razors. It is too bad I didn't try DE razors sooner as they would have been perfect for beard shaping.

Thanks for the replies so far guys, lets keep them coming. :thumbup1:

Nothing wrong with some gray (or in my case white). You could always grow a goatee or mustace back.

Well, being a redhead mine is more white than gray as well. Since I'm still single, and want to someday be a father (so I typically date women from 10-15 years younger than me, I'm 46), I found the gray to sometimes be a problem. With the gray beard my students and co-workers thought I looked like I am in my late 40's (not far off) or 50's, clean shaven they think I look like I'm in my 30's. I may grow back the goatee eventually (probably after I'm married or engaged), but probably not the beard (I'm enjoying shaving with the DE razors too much, I actually wish I could shave more often). I did do a mustache only for a little while (about a week) since there is nearly no gray in the mustache, but I don't really see myself as a mustache kind of guy (though if my facial shape was a little different I'd love to grow a handlebar mustache, and still might eventually even though the shape of my face isn't really right for it).

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I use this one from Wahl. I only use it on my lower neck and the #1 or 2 attachment for the mustache. I don't trim any other parts of my beard.

1723980.jpeg

I don't usually trim my beard or stasche anymore. I have mishandled it three times now, never again. Twice it lead to a complete debearding and decrease in manliness. Once I tried trimming my handlebar and I had to take it way to short due to it always beeing uneven. I don't mind paying the barber 30 bucks for it to be honest. It's not that often anyway.

I'd like to know what you recommend for a nice pair of mustache scissors, I am in the military so I have very strict guidelines I have to adhere to and I am about a week into a mustache that will soon need trimming, I can shape with my straight now but soon it will need something more.

~J. Babcock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like to know what you recommend for a nice pair of mustache scissors, I am in the military so I have very strict guidelines I have to adhere to and I am about a week into a mustache that will soon need trimming, I can shape with my straight now but soon it will need something more.

~J. Babcock

Good question. I would also be interested in a nice pair of scissors. I use a pair of Wahl that came free with a hair clipper. They work well enough, but look and feel a little cheap.

I have thought about using my Dr. Slick fly tying scissors, they appear to be close to the right size and they seem to be of an adequate quality. I'm almost to the trimming phase, I think I may just give these a whirl.

~J. Babcock
Redirect Notice

strop

Now half as wise
Those would probably work just fine.

Anything with a point will work. I have some that are too long, but since I rarely if ever need them anymore, I haven't bothered to replace them. If I did, i would get something like these.
Tweezerman Moustache Scissors

Top Bottom