What's new

What do you use to cut plugs.

IMG_3227.JPG

Pretty much used this to cut anything and everything for the last three decades. Would still easily cut through that legal pad.

I don't smoke much rope because I find it tends to be too strong for my tastes, and it can be hard to find sometimes. But I went to the hardware store and bought a pair of pruners that make short work of a rope. Nice clean cut, and I don't have to find a suitable surface to cut on.

Alright, now that's what I call good suggestion! Thank you!

I just use whatever sharp knife is close. My preferred is a blade from my rendezvous buckskinning days. It is just a Green Mountain hunting knife blank that my dad and I put walnut scales on when I was teenager as a Boy Scout craft. If that isn't handy my Spyderco Delica 4 gets the job.

It depends on how thin you cut your plugs. If you like them chunky any knife will work, but if you want it thin, a thinner knife might be better.

I have a custom built fixed knife/board for mine.

Wow, nice!!

If it's made from a leaf spring, it's most likely 5160 spring steel. [emoji1360]

Just use my pocket knife, a small Case trapper and cut the plug like I'm peeling a spud. Collect the cuttings into the palm of my hand as I go then rub it out and pack.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I went ahead and purchased the small cleaver. It’s the perfect size for a travel plug cutter. The pic is its size compared to Wessex Curly block. The sharpness left something to be desired so I touched up the edge with a Lansky sharpening system. The edge was better but still required some effort to get it to slice through the plug. I’ll break out my stones one day soon and really work on the edge. I have a feeling with proper sharpening this little cleaver is going to work great.
563CB9D1-2362-424E-A35F-9446716FA438.jpeg

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I went ahead and purchased the small cleaver. It’s the perfect size for a travel plug cutter. The pic is its size compared to Wessex Curly block. The sharpness left something to be desired so I touched up the edge with a Lansky sharpening system. The edge was better but still required some effort to get it to slice through the plug. I’ll break out my stones one day soon and really work on the edge. I have a feeling with proper sharpening this little cleaver is going to work great.
View attachment 1345682

There is even a little hole you can use as a pivot point…

View attachment 1345682
It may need some thinning behind the edge or a bit of a concave grind to it. It looks beefy behind the edge for bushcraft/survival purposes. Shouldn't take much.

Top Bottom