What's new

What do you use for a comb?

I had a little mishap this morning….
3A475F29-F73D-4DB0-ABC7-7311A81B6B0F.jpeg

C4E5631B-FCEF-41B0-BAC8-50A568C481E2.jpeg

I’ve had this ox horn comb for about 2 weeks. Today it slipped out of my fingers and fell on tile floor. It’s the first decent comb I’ve had and I really enjoyed using it compared to super cheap plastic combs I’ve had in the past. The material looks great in person and has a nice hand feel. It’s gentle on the scalp and generally pleasant to use. It is unfortunately not very durable, as I found out, therefore impractical for daily use or travel.

What do you enjoy using? Or what would you would recommend for a man with short, straight, average thickness hair? Acetate? Wood? Carbon fibre? Or something else like a boar brush?

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I have five combs. Not one broke.

First is by ‘goody’. It’s about ten inches long, and has wide and narrow teeth.

Name on next one is ‘Dupont’. It is a big one and is unbreakable. It’s for long hair, and is preferred by women.

These combs are cheap. I have one that was given out by Tommy wanting to become the Sheriff of Scott County. Put it in your pocket. It is unbreakable.

I will let the others help you out.

Kent combs are very, very comfortable to use. I have 2 and apart from cleaning every month or so they've never let me down in several years.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
My arsenal includes:
  • Goody detangling comb
  • Conair open styling brush
  • Conair barber's comb
  • Mason & Pearson brush
When out and about I mostly use my fingers, though I do carry a cheap Conair pocket comb.

If you’re looking for something a little extra nice or durable check out Chicago Combs. Their carbon fiber combs are durable and comfortable to use. The leather sheaths are a nice bonus if it’s in the budget. You can also personalize them if you want.

If you’re looking for something a little extra nice or durable check out Chicago Combs. Their carbon fiber combs are durable and comfortable to use. The leather sheaths are a nice bonus if it’s in the budget. You can also personalize them if you want.
Thanks for your input. I actually came across Chicago carbon combs after posting this and I’ll be getting one for when I’m on the go. I know Kent are popular but I’d prefer something besides plastic. Chicago combs are similarly priced and seem nicer, to me at least. I’ll probably get another horn comb to keep at home as well since I liked the last one so much. I’ll just have to be more careful with it

Thanks for your input. I actually came across Chicago carbon combs after posting this and I’ll be getting one for when I’m on the go. I know Kent are popular but I’d prefer something besides plastic. Chicago combs are similarly priced and seem nicer, to me at least. I’ll probably get another horn comb to keep at home as well since I liked the last one so much. I’ll just have to be more careful with it
Most carbon fiber combs are made of a type of plastic reinforced with carbon fiber. I like them since they're comfortable to use, very durable and don't generate any static electricity. Mine has a set of coarse teeth which is good for combing out tangles. Made in Italy, I think.

The comb in my back pocket is a Hercules Sagemann, 600.5, 602.5
Hard rubber, made in Germany, more expensive than it looks.

The combs in the house are "Unbreakable" nylon.

My hair is about 3 or 4 inches long at the longest.

Oh good grief! A plastic pocket comb by Ace. Cheap, fairly unbreakable, common as dirt, so if I lose it, I can just go to Walmart or other store and buy another. Don't make your life so complicated! Combs aren't rocket surgery!

Robot or human? - https://www.walmart.com/ip/ACE-Hair-Comb-5-Inch-Fine-Tooth-Pocket-Comb-Black/143580676?athcpid=143580676&athpgid=AthenaItempage&athcgid=null&athznid=si&athieid=v0&athstid=CS004&athguid=s8RFnD_zn571AY91tEXSIJrF5e-rwLE7rJyd&athancid=null&athena=true
The same could be said of razors, brushes, soaps… anything really. But that’s not why we have B&B. It’s about the finer things.

Oh good grief! A plastic pocket comb by Ace. Cheap, fairly unbreakable, common as dirt, so if I lose it, I can just go to Walmart or other store and buy another. Don't make your life so complicated! Combs aren't rocket surgery!

Robot or human? - https://www.walmart.com/ip/ACE-Hair-Comb-5-Inch-Fine-Tooth-Pocket-Comb-Black/143580676?athcpid=143580676&athpgid=AthenaItempage&athcgid=null&athznid=si&athieid=v0&athstid=CS004&athguid=s8RFnD_zn571AY91tEXSIJrF5e-rwLE7rJyd&athancid=null&athena=true
Been carrying a plastic ACE comb with me forever. When I lose it, easy and cheap to replace.

Although the barber uses a comb when he cuts my hair, I have not carried a comb in many years. Combs tend to irritate my scalp. Sometimes my wife is not satisfied with the way my hair looks and pulls out her bristle brush....ouch!

About the only thing I can use that does not irritate my scalp is this Velvet Touch paddle brush by Conair. Unfortunately, it does not fit in my pocket and I do not carry a man purse.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I use a brush but once I went camping and forgot my brush. I used a line of mails for a pneumatic nail gun I found in a guys truck. Worked fine.

Top Bottom