What's new

What Do You Use After a Bad Shave?

I've tried a good amount of aftershaves over the course of my time at B&B and when I start DE shaving with a badger hair brush and soaps/creams. Some of the more common ones being Proraso, Captain's Choice, B&M, Maol Grooming, Chantillon Lux, Stirling, Floid, etc. Lately I've been really enjoying the post-shave feel and scents from Chantillon Lux (YRP) and Maol Grooming (Marlogue Woods). After having a few rough shaves with a fresh Feather blade and trying to get BBS skin, I felt that both Maol Grooming and CL did a great job with healing after the shave. Granted, I typically reach for a balm after I use an AS in the colder months, so take that for what it's worth.

Are there specific aftershaves you use when the shave goes south?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
If I have a rough shave for any reason, the products that get called to action are cold water, alum block, and Nivea Sensitive balm. That's the only time I tend to use them. I sometimes need them on a fresh blade, or when using a DE razor I've not used for a while, or when using straight/shavette.

I will name three, in my order of preference. Clinique Post Shave Healer, Aramis Lab Series, and Nivea Sensitive. For me, the Clinique is best. It absorbs quickly and leaves my skin feeling better than anything else in my arsenal of about three dozen aftershave products. The Aramis is a new one for me and it is good, but not quite Clinique. I picked it up at a store closing sale last summer. Don't know if I will rebuy it, because of how sold I am on Clinique. I used Nivea for the rough shaves until stumbling onto Clinique at Dillards maybe four years back. I now use it when I want to wear a fragrance which doesn't pair up with any of my scented aftershaves and the shave was OK. I went through a few bottles of Nivea over maybe a decade, and would likely still use it as my "go to" if it wasn't for finding Clinique.

If I have a rough shave for any reason, the products that get called to action are cold water, alum block, and Nivea Sensitive balm. That's the only time I tend to use them. I sometimes need them on a fresh blade, or when using a DE razor I've not used for a while, or when using straight/shavette.

+1
Nivea sensitive skin balm is always my go-to when my skin needs relaxing and repairing.

Depending on the time of year and how rugged the shave was, I either go for Gable's Bay Rum (cold weather) or Skin Bracer (warm weather). I suppose anything with a good shot of menthol would work as well in warm weather, however.

A/S Splash - it has to be Speick:
speick-as-1.jpg

Balms:
Proraso White
Pre de Provence
Weleda
pw-1.jpg
pdp-balm-1.jpg
weleda-balm-1.jpg

A generous wet-coat of Osage rub - get past the burn and let it get nice and icy then rinse it off with cold water, towel pat-dry and rub in a nice generous wet coat of Witch Hazel. When the Witch Hazel starts to dry, I rub in CeraVe - agan, a genrous amount - say an almond's worth. The Osage numbs it, the Witch Hazel tones it, and the CeraVe Moisturizes it. Note - this is not a "Freddy Kruger" bad shave, just a bit raw in places. If by bad you mean "hacked up" then start with an alum block and stypic the ones that the alum doesn't close - then wait 5 or 10 minutes to make sure things are clotted and numb it with something gentle with menthol. Skin Bracer works well. Then moisturize. But if you're getting hacked up, something's amiss. Bad shaves should be fairly rare.

I have a 50/50 mix of Osage Rub & Skin Bracer that is a wonderful aftershave if the shave is not bad but maybe a little on the rough side. The smell is fantastic too - the sweet Barbershop Skin Bracer scent gains a bit of mint from the Osage rub and then later the musk drydown of the Osage Rub sits nicely underneath the Skin Bracer Barbershop scent. It's a wonderful olds-school skin scent that my wife loves and the chill-factor is a perfect level for taking the edge off a shave that's a little rough around the edges.

Depending on the time of year and how rugged the shave was, I either go for Gable's Bay Rum (cold weather) or Skin Bracer (warm weather). I suppose anything with a good shot of menthol would work as well in warm weather, however.
Gabel's Bay Rum - nice! That's a very under-rated aftershave. Nose-opening clove blast drying down to a nice crisp herbal bay scent that's just barely there - just perfect, IMHO. There are so many different interpretations of Bay Rum and there are some good ones. The PAA guy is a Bay Rum fanatic and does a nice job - Captains is wonderful too - but there are some atrocious ones. I had one years ago that smelled like meatloaf. It wasn't a novelty either - it just straight up smelled like meatloaf. Lol.

I don't do bad shaves. I do use use either Neutrogena Post Shave Balm, or a blend of Dermasil, menthol dissolved in vodka plus a splash of Gillette Cool Wave.

I will name three, in my order of preference. Clinique Post Shave Healer, Aramis Lab Series, and Nivea Sensitive. For me, the Clinique is best.
+1 Clinique is very good after a bad shave.
Also if I used a good soap (I mean a soap that provide good post shave) I use the rest of lather to gently clean my hurting face, then rince with very cold water several times, then Clinique Post Shave.

Lucky Tiger is very soothing, with zero alcohol and many skin friendly ingredients. A fleeting orange scent that's gone in a flash won't interfere with any further products used.

Top Bottom