What's new

What Do You Use After a Bad Shave?

Good responses. When I say "bad shave" I'm not talking about a hack job. Usually it will be mild irritation under the jaw line or neck when trying to clean the last bit of stubble, and found that a fresh Feather blade is more unforgiving in those areas if not careful. Nivea AS balm was one of my first products when I picked this hobby up, and looks like I may need to revisit sometime soon.

Good responses. When I say "bad shave" I'm not talking about a hack job. Usually it will be mild irritation under the jaw line or neck when trying to clean the last bit of stubble, and found that a fresh Feather blade is more unforgiving in those areas if not careful. Nivea AS balm was one of my first products when I picked this hobby up, and looks like I may need to revisit sometime soon.
I don’t have many but when I do I don’t do anything special of different. I just reassess my life and why I’m here.

I really like Woody's aftershave tonic. It's extremely soothing and is a little oily in appearance, so I put it on slightly damp skin and it absorbs very well. And it is pretty affordable as well.

Today's shave was a particularly close one. After taking a shot of morphine, I was ready to take on the day.

proxy.php

I've tried a good amount of aftershaves over the course of my time at B&B and when I start DE shaving with a badger hair brush and soaps/creams. Some of the more common ones being Proraso, Captain's Choice, B&M, Maol Grooming, Chantillon Lux, Stirling, Floid, etc. Lately I've been really enjoying the post-shave feel and scents from Chantillon Lux (YRP) and Maol Grooming (Marlogue Woods). After having a few rough shaves with a fresh Feather blade and trying to get BBS skin, I felt that both Maol Grooming and CL did a great job with healing after the shave. Granted, I typically reach for a balm after I use an AS in the colder months, so take that for what it's worth.

Are there specific aftershaves you use when the shave goes south?

I used to use balms when I had a shave with irritation. Now, I use your two favorites--Maol Grooming and Chatillon Lux, which are also my two favorites (out of 100+ different alcohol splashes, including all of the ones you mentioned). Maol and CL feel like balms on my face, add moisture, are very soothing, and yet are clearly alcohol-based.

I recently pulled out an old bottle of L&L Grooming (now Declaration Grooming), which I now include as another to keep company with Maol and CL. If you haven't tried Declaration's aftershave, I heartily encourage you to do so.

I generally use cold water, alum block to stop the weepers, lucky tiger to soothe and then last use Prorasso sensitive balm.

Larry

I don't have many bad shaves, as I'm pretty steady with my equipment. If I do a pass too many, I usually go with a balm. Nivea (when I have it) or Pierre Cardin PM. As for splashes, I'd go with Nivea Deep Comforting or Gillette Cool Wave. They have more healing goodies than most of the others I have (ie, I wouldn't use an Avon after a bad shave).

All after shaves i currently have in stock work great after a bad shave plus alum block. but my favorite is the creed aftershave balm. Absorbs quick smells great and feels like i didnt even shave. Bad shave meaning a few niks n weepers here n there

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I simply hang my head in shame and take a day off. I reckon I should invest in an alum block. But the need is infrequent.

Usually just roll with my normal post shave routine of Witch Hazel and aftershave of choice. If it's really bad, I'll put some balm on too.

Alum bar followed by an aftershave balm. About 10 minutes later if my skin is still screaming I apply Gold Bond Healing lotion and repeat applications as needed.

Let me add Pre de Provence ASB on that list.

Just got a tube of PdP Bergamot & Thyme (I'd had one years ago, back when it was the only PdP scent, but somehow it'd gotten misplaced over the years), and I used it in a somewhat rough shave (about a week's growth) tonight. Just...wow...I'd remembered this stuff was good, but if I'd remembered it was this good I probably would've gotten a new tube years ago. Very soothing, amazing scent, it's got everything. It probably won't replace Nivea as my go-to balm for bad shaves (since Nivea's so cheap I can slather it on with no guilt), but PdP is definitely up there, both for soothing balms and great scents.

Top Bottom