What's new

What Do You Use After a Bad Shave?

Either one of the two below which are the only two I own (with extras), and use them regardless of the outcome.

• Nivea Men Sensitive Skin After Shave Balm
  • Proraso After Shave Balm, Green Line, with Eucalyptus Oil and Menthol

The first step is for me to dip a washcloth in cold water and apply it to my face and neck. I then take some Thayers WH and pat it on my face followed by an aftershave balm that contains some moisturizer Currently I am using DR Harris Arlington Aftershave Milk or Neutrogena Triple Protect. However, at night, before retiring, I apply some CeraVe moisturizing cream to help the healing process.

I have a friend who has extremely sensitive skin. He used a product called Tend Skin for years and swore by it. It is a bit pricey so he now mixes his own product. His mixture consists of witch hazel, some Bayers aspirin (because it dissolves so fast) some aloe gel, liquid glycerin, and distilled water. He then puts it in an empty whiskey bottle and shakes it up. He then transfers it as needed to small bottles and shakes it up before use.

Tames razor burn from hell

proxy.php

If I have a rough shave for any reason, the products that get called to action are cold water, alum block, and Nivea Sensitive balm. That's the only time I tend to use them. I sometimes need them on a fresh blade, or when using a DE razor I've not used for a while, or when using straight/shavette.

+1

Aloe gel for sun burns....has lidocaine and other stuff. And no shaving for 3days (this fixes everything).

I think if you always use the same stuff (razor/blade/soap) combinations, you will probably reach a point of NO bad shaves. BUT if you keep changing all the variables (I do that), you will eventually get a bad experience.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I wouldn't know. Not had a bad shave in years 😁
Bad shaves are not allowed.

I actually never had bad shaves for years. Then I signed up to B&B and started experimenting with other stuff. This came with a fresh learning curve.

If I stick to my DE razors, favourite blades, and Mitchell's Wool Fat, I shouldn't get a bad shave. Also, my shaves have started improving again, since I've started settling back down with my old kit. Over the last few weeks, probably 2/3 of my shaves haven't had any post shave at all, and those that have, were just a quick splash of aftershave or squirt of EdT.

I'll still keep an alum block and balm to hand though, as I will occasionally use a shavette or straight, and that "safety net" is still required for those razors. I can get great shaves with them, but I can get rough shaves too.

I'll start with Thayers Witch Hazel, applied very liberally. I'll let that just soak in on my face for 3 - 5 minutes, then apply Nivea Post Shave Balm for Sensitive Skin. I'll use 7 - 8 drops on my hand, rub it in my hand & apply to my face. The amount I use on a bad shave is about double what is normally used. That's OK in my book, because its a bad shave & your face is burning. After 15 minutes or so, I'll apply more Nivea to my face.

I'm far from the first in this thread to mention it, but Nivea Sensitive. Honestly, I've never had such a dramatic and eye-opening experience with a shave product as the first time I used Nivea Sensitive ASB. (Admittedly, it was also the first AS I'd ever used, so take that with a few tons of salt...my dad doesn't use aftershave, so I'd never used it myself until I found B&B.) Before then, I never realized how big of a difference aftershave can make, and few aftershaves have topped it since. It's still one of my favorites, and has a permanent spot in the small selection of products I keep permanently by the sink (as opposed to the embarrassingly large selection of products I rotate out). It's really good, it's cheap (so it's easy to recommend to people!), and it's available in just about any drugstore you go to. What's there not to love?

One thing to note, though -- be sure to get the name brand. I got the CVS brand knock-off once, and it did not agree with my face. YMMV, of course, but it's really cheap anyway, so there's really no reason not to get the real thing.

An aftershave that has allantoin listed in the ingredients list. Would be my choice.

The Real Shaving Co. post shave balm
Stirling Soap post shave balm
LEA ASB for sensitive skin

Last edited:
I use Thayer's Medicated Witch Hazel, followed by a little rose water and a scent free balm like Soap Commander's Integrity. I will also wait an extra day to shave and start again with a very mild razor Such as a 50s Gillette Tech and super smooth blade (as opposed to a sharp blade). It honestly doesn't happen much unless a new soap or blade turns out to be terrible quality. Even mediocre products produce a fine shave for me most of the time. Good question to start a thread.

I cannot remember the last time I had a bad shave. I use high-quality soaps with excellent slickness, cushion and post-shave conditioning. I rarely get more than minimal irritation, even though I do a four-pass shave and my skin is sensitive. My normal aftershave is generic witch hazel. However, when the temperature is extremely cold (below 10 degrees F), I might use an aftershave balm for added moisturizing.

Top Bottom