What's new

What do you think of....

So many possibilities for that headline. I think "sock garters" is a letdown, and that they are best reserved for black socks while wearing bermuda shorts and sandals. Or up high on a ladyfriend.

So many possibilities for that headline. I think "sock garters" is a letdown, and that they are best reserved for black socks while wearing bermuda shorts and sandals. Or up high on a ladyfriend.

This coming from a guy who likely has a searsucker suit...note, I can say that because I went to UA :)

They worked great for my great-grandfather :thumbup1:

I am preparing for the fair share of crap I will get for posting this:thumbup:

However, I find that my socks are around my ankles by about 9am...and it is silly looking in my suits...so I am just looking for a solution.

I am preparing for the fair share of crap I will get for posting this:thumbup:

However, I find that my socks are around my ankles by about 9am...and it is silly looking in my suits...so I am just looking for a solution.

Sluggo, buy better socks. :laugh:

Any suggestions oh wise Andrew?:thumbup1:

If you want socks that stay in place with a suit, buy over the calf dress socks. They stay in place even when you sit down and cross your legs. I usually buy mine at Macys or Nordstroms. Buy several pairs in black, blue and tan.

Maybe I should take better care of them when I wash them...because I buy long socks and they usually shrink!!

I find the Goldtoe socks tend to stay in their place. Their opening is a little tighter, so this is probably why. They come in all sorts of colors, sizes, and designs. Check them out.

X2 on over the calf dress socks. Good ones never fall down on my. I've had best luck with the socks at Brooks Bros.

Garters? Er, no.

Garters tend to break when you crank start your Model T in the morning.

Over-the-calf socks, my friend.

This coming from a guy who likely has a searsucker suit...note, I can say that because I went to UA :)

Luckily, I have resisted the Seersucker urge. Maybe it's because I have the good sense from having been born a Cheesehead (Two Rivers, baby!) that I can see the folly in a suit that looks better on Dick Van Dyke than anyone else.

The Gold Toe over-the-calf socks are darn cheap at Target, and a heck of a lot less work than sock garters. Macy's, as noted, also carries some good selection in different weights.

Being a military man who has a tendency to wear the uniform regularly, I'll tell you that this is a hotly debated topic amongst military folk I tend to hang around (at least in the AF). There are two camps...the garter-wearer swearers and the haters.

The former camp believes you have to wear them to maintain a crisp, military appearance...the latter loathes them with a passion and refuses to wear them ever...even in the face of criticism from peers.

Oh wait..there is a third group...those who wear two instead of four in a vain attempt at finding some "middle ground" between the *** pain of wearing them and the benefit to the socks up-shirt tucked in look.

And then...there is that one guy who looks ready to go postal any minute anyway who takes a single garter and wraps it front to back for no apparent reason...:lol:

"Edit" After just re-reading this entire post I've come to the realization you might not be talking about shirt-sock garters but those funky things that just hold your socks up that haven't been worn since the days of Ward Cleaver.

I'm officially a boob.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Over-the-calf socks are needed here. Cheap ones slide down and expensive ones stay up. If you buy a few pair of Pantherella OTC socks you will not regret it. They are expensive but worth it.

Maybe I should take better care of them when I wash them...because I buy long socks and they usually shrink!!

"hang to dry"

I like them on women, but wouldn't wear one personally. I hate it when my socks fall after a long day, but I think my gold toes stay on for most of the day.

Top Bottom