What's new

What do you think of those Castro/army caps?

You know, the ones that look like the type Castro wears. They've become popular with young people lately. I think they look cool but don't think I have the fashion sense to wear one without making it look like I'm purposely trying to stand out. What do you guys think?

What colour? I think they might look OK in black or a dark brown, but the green would not be to my taste. Certainly it is an alternative to ball caps.

They look like or are what our military called the "Ridgeway Cap" named after Gen. Matthew Ridgeway (replaced MacArthur, Korean Conflict). AF Mobile Comm personnel during the Vietnam Conflict wore them along with a royal blue ascot in place of khakis.

Know a "twenty-something" who wears one all the time. Wanted to tell him it looked silly but decided not too.

Just another fad that comes and goes some sooner some later.

They look like or are what our military called the "Ridgeway Cap" named after Gen. Matthew Ridgeway (replaced MacArthur, Korean Conflict). AF Mobile Comm personnel during the Vietnam Conflict wore them along with a royal blue ascot in place of khakis.

If I confused anyone with the way I composed the above statement; this cap along with the blue ascot was worn with fatigues (green jeans) as a substitute for khakis and blues not singularly--couldn't have GIs wearing only a cap & ascot it would look assinine. It looks like a abbreviated Kepi and most of those who wore them didn't like them; uncomfortable and not very useful, we preferred hats when authorized.

G

gone down south

They've gone pretty mainstream, people's moms are wearing them now, which means that we're about ready for the fashion forward to ditch the trend altogether. I give it less than a year.

Know a "twenty-something" who wears one all the time. Wanted to tell him it looked silly but decided not too.

Just another fad that comes and goes some sooner some later.

If you need someone to step in to break the news to them, I know a perfectly willing internet stranger. :biggrin:

Silly indeed. They are probably and hopefully on their way out, although I've recently seen more of the Maoist style hats. I guess the Zapatista sombrero will be next.

If you need someone to step in to break the news to them, I know a perfectly willing internet stranger. :biggrin:

Silly indeed. They are probably and hopefully on their way out, although I've recently seen more of the Maoist style hats. I guess the Zapatista sombrero will be next.

Maoist style hat?

Like this?

proxy.php

Saw the first part of the Che Guevara movie this weekend, so I know exactly what kind of cap this is about...

Those caps are quite bland, they look really utilitarian. Nothing to write Mom about.

If you want one, you might as well go all the way for the "Viva la Revolution" look, grow a beard and start smoking those exquisite Cuban cigars...:lol:

Or buy one of those "Afghani" beret things or one of those huge wool stocking caps that sit like a t*rd at the back of the head, then you KNOW everyone thinks you look a doofus :redface:

Or buy one of those "Afghani" beret things...

Those hats are named Pakouls or Pakols, are made of wool felt mainly and have centuries of evolution in an harsh environment where they protect the heads of their owners...that said they are, in their league, state of the art and in that region of the globe if you wear one you will see why they are so widespread, warm and cozy...In this global world i've seen them in downtown Paris in winter and even in Tierra del Fuego.

The bad thing using one, in developed countries, is everybody thinks you're making some political statement or you're some kind of sympathisant de la cause.Sometimes a hat is just a hat!!For head protection without no more politics...Am i a sympathisant of the Basque country or ETA if i wear a beret basque!?!:confused1

Top Bottom