What's new

What do you think of this strop? (Hariyali London)

Any clean, smooth piece of leather will work. That looks like it would be ok to learn on/use.

Yes, that's what I thought. Here in The Netherlands we can only find the narrow Dovo ones. Even if i I want a 'professional' strop, I will have to buy from the US I think.

Yes, that's what I thought. Here in The Netherlands we can only find the narrow Dovo ones. Even if i I want a 'professional' strop, I will have to buy from the US I think.
If i can find the contact info there is a guy in Sweden i beleive that makes strops....they look really nice!!

Hi, I'm using two of these Haryali strops, one short and narrow, one wide XL one. I use the narrow one with pastes and wide one bare. They both have matte surfaces and have a medium high draw.

The narrow one came bent and I needed some work to make it smoother. Wide one was perfect on arrival. I find 7cm wide ones quite efficient on my razors.

Hi, I'm using two of these Haryali strops, one short and narrow, one wide XL one. I use the narrow one with pastes and wide one bare. They both have matte surfaces and have a medium high draw.

The narrow one came bent and I needed some work to make it smoother. Wide one was perfect on arrival. I find 7cm wide ones quite efficient on my razors.

NICE! Thanks for the reply! Will buy the XL version with confidence now.

Anyone who uses the term “cutthroat razor” and makes a statement like “Leather Strop is the safest way of honing carving straight razors blades” does not instil much confidence in me - certainly not enough confidence to open my wallet.

Considering that there are many other proven products out there whose manufacturers have been around for many years and who seem to know what they are talking about, I would give this one a miss.

B.

If i can find the contact info there is a guy in Sweden i beleive that makes strops....they look really nice!!

Dovo sells rebranded Herold strops, and Herold makes a 480mm x 80mm XL strop for around €60.

I am not familiar with any Swedish strops, my favourite strops are Norwegian Scrupleworks strops that I prefer even over my Kanoyama 70,000 strop, but these are certainly not selling for £14.44.

B.

These descriptions are probably not written by the company who makes these strops and thus not knowing how they should be used.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Look for "The X Bay" strops on Amazon or Ebay, either one. Get the wide one. He sells a 2" and a 2-1/2" one. It is the only super cheap strop I have ever found adequate for actual use. He also has a website but not sure if the link is allowed.

Top Bottom