What's new

What do you think of this scuttle - pics

I have found a local potter who has made this. I have been using it for the past week and like it. The other scuttle that I have is a DB but this is smaller all 'round and to my eye more refined. It measures 5" wide and 3" high with an interior depth of 1 1/2". The Gillette Slim is there for scale.

I have found this past week that it keeps the lather plenty warm for three passes. Retail on it is around $50.00. I was thinking of having it made in three colors - black, deep red and perhaps a rich green. First though, I wanted to see what any prospective customers have to say about it.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Too pricey. I like the size but would like more/ deeper grooves. A plug for the hole or a narrower hole is nice to keep warmer longer.
I want one with a brush rest. A little groove notched out that I could lean my brush into so it didn't fall into the bowl. Just the bristles b

Too pricey. I like the size but would like more/ deeper grooves. A plug for the hole or a narrower hole is nice to keep warmer longer.
I want one with a brush rest. A little groove notched out that I could lean my brush into so it didn't fall into the bowl. Just the bristles b
Deeper as the DB has the same issue and would like a better alternative for longer brush handles.
Interesting idea on the brush rest.
I would like that as well.

I like the shape and metallic color but as mentioned the entry fee is steep...Nice piece of artistry though; will check in for updates.

For $50 or more, I would expect something exquisitely designed and executed. I don't see either the design or the glaze getting it up into competition with, for example, Georgetown Pottery or Schwarz Weiss Keramik. It might do well against Dirty Bird, but even there, the design seems to be better to me.

Are you in the Chicago area? That looks just like a scuttle from a local potter here. She does GREAT work, if it's her (Kristi).

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I love that look! Two thoughts ...

I just got a Robert Becker, I like that, too. I have a DB and I had a SRD which I used for a year and sold, so I'm pretty schooled on scuttles. The Becker, I believe, is made in a mold, while yours is hand made. I kind of agree with pricing, you're too high.

DBs now go for about $55
The SRD goes for $45
The Robert Backer goes for $30
I don't have one, but Georgetown Pottery scuttles are $45

You figure it out, but I would suggest $40-45 is your price range for that, based on available comparables.

My second thought is about the plug. DBs and SRDs do not have them. The Robert Becker and the Georgetown have plugs. I cannot for the life of me figure out what they are good for, I tossed the Becker plug in a drawer. If anyone thinks they help with heat retention, they never took high school physics, they will do absolutely nothing in that regard, not a YMMV or opinion, but a scientific fact. You don't need any plug on a scuttle.

Heat exchange will be across the entire surface area of the scuttle, and heat retention will be due to the mass of the water and clay in the scuttle. True, evaporative cooling through the small hole could cause somehwhat more rapid cooling, but during the normal course of a shave this difference will be totally immaterial. If you set this up as a scientific experiment with thermometers and timers, you won't see any difference in ten minutes worth noting. It's a gimmick.

That is a very nice scuttle! I love it! Good luck.

I love that look! Two thoughts ...

I just got a Robert Becker, I like that, too. I have a DB and I had a SRD which I used for a year and sold, so I'm pretty schooled on scuttles. The Becker, I believe, is made in a mold, while yours is hand made. I kind of agree with pricing, you're too high.

DBs now go for about $55
The SRD goes for $45
The Robert Backer goes for $30
I don't have one, but Georgetown Pottery scuttles are $45

You figure it out, but I would suggest $40-45 is your price range for that, based on available comparables.

My second thought is about the plug. DBs and SRDs do not have them. The Robert Becker and the Georgetown have plugs. I cannot for the life of me figure out what they are good for, I tossed the Becker plug in a drawer. If anyone thinks they help with heat retention, they never took high school physics, they will do absolutely nothing in that regard, not a YMMV or opinion, but a scientific fact. You don't need any plug on a scuttle.

Heat exchange will be across the entire surface area of the scuttle, and heat retention will be due to the mass of the water and clay in the scuttle. True, evaporative cooling through the small hole could cause somehwhat more rapid cooling, but during the normal course of a shave this difference will be totally immaterial. If you set this up as a scientific experiment with thermometers and timers, you won't see any difference in ten minutes worth noting. It's a gimmick.

That is a very nice scuttle! I love it! Good luck.
Great write up.
Never use a plug as well.

Looks good!
I don't like the look of plugs and I would imagine that the amount of heat lost, via the scupper, during the shaving process, would be minimal.
It would be great if the bowl were large enough to leave a normal size soap puck in all the time. I get lazy and always leave my puck in the scuttle.

Last edited:

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I suggest you revisit that physics class

I don't think I need to, but I'm willing to be schooled. Care to enlighten us? That was kind of cryptic. Given the thermal mass of a full scuttle versus the size of the hole, I still contend that stoppe won't do a darn thing during the course of a normal shave.

Thanks guys for the feedback, it helps us when we can ascertain interest ahead of time. Your input helps more than you would imagine.

Keep your eyes peeled for a related announcement soon...

Last edited:
The scuttle looks nice for sure. I'm not sure if you've experimented with additions to help lather. Example: the dirty bird scuttles have grooves inside the bowl. I actually prefer half spheres around the bottom of the scuttle. These protrusions help get between the bristles of the brush and I find they REALLY help speed up lathering!

Top Bottom