What's new

What do you think of the new US Army Sig XM5 6.8x51

What do you all think of the US Army adopting the Sig Sauer XM5 6.8x51? I am of two minds about it. For one thing, it will give soldiers the ability to defeat modern body armor and longer ranges. It will give soldiers the ability to engage targets at very long range, especially with the new sight.

On the other hand, it is almost going backwards (not quite) to a heavier weapon with heavier ammunition. It might have been okay if they had gone with the plastic cased ammunition, but they didn't. They stuck with heavy brass and steel. Soldiers already carry heavy combat loads. The other thing I think is that the new weapon will be a problem for most shooters because of the recoil, even in semi-automatic mode. In full automatic I think it will be uncontrollable. I think that, but not having shot it I can't say for certain.

Still, the new rifle gives soldiers the ability to engage across mountain ridges and will shoot through obstructions. I wonder, though, if a shorter and lighter cartridge could not be found, or developed, that achieved the same goals.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
What do you all think of the US Army adopting the Sig Sauer XM5 6.8x51? I am of two minds about it. For one thing, it will give soldiers the ability to defeat modern body armor and longer ranges. It will give soldiers the ability to engage targets at very long range, especially with the new sight.

On the other hand, it is almost going backwards (not quite) to a heavier weapon with heavier ammunition. It might have been okay if they had gone with the plastic cased ammunition, but they didn't. They stuck with heavy brass and steel. Soldiers already carry heavy combat loads. The other thing I think is that the new weapon will be a problem for most shooters because of the recoil, even in semi-automatic mode. In full automatic I think it will be uncontrollable. I think that, but not having shot it I can't say for certain.

Still, the new rifle gives soldiers the ability to engage across mountain ridges and will shoot through obstructions. I wonder, though, if a shorter and lighter cartridge could not be found, or developed, that achieved the same goals.

The 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel are the only alternatives I can think of?

Toopid. You aren't saving any significant weight by having a 0.82" smaller diameter projectile, unless you're packing mini-gun quantities. Very marginal change in ballistics that could not be achieved with different powder. 7.62x51- no retooling, no revamping, no new uber-cool "platform"...oh, wait, that's why they're doing it!

I'm a middle-weight guy, but a pre-86 F/A HK91 is more than do-able, moreso, with a decent comp/FH combo (e.g., Smith comp, PWS).

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Toopid. You aren't saving any significant weight by having a 0.82" smaller diameter projectile, unless you're packing mini-gun quantities. Very marginal change in ballistics that could not be achieved with different powder. 7.62x51- no retooling, no revamping, no new uber-cool "platform"...oh, wait, that's why they're doing it!

I'm a middle-weight guy, but a pre-86 F/A HK91 is more than do-able, moreso, with a decent comp/FH combo (e.g., Smith comp, PWS).

I’d take an HK91! :)

duke762

Rose to the occasion
Hk 91 was my first center fire rifle ala reading too much Mel Tappan back in the day. I still have the receipt for $524.00. I traded it back too the dealer for an M1A loaded and a SIG P220. I find the M1A much easier to shoot well. The military cartridge change is silly but may result in an influx of surplus ammo.Wasn't it Ike that said "Beware of a runaway military industrial complex". Perhaps they make their own weather....

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
No problem with the military having it, but soon Meal Team 6 and the Gravy Seals will be toting them, too.

Top Bottom