What's new

What do you think of Kia or Hyundai cars compared to Yota, Honda,etc?

I've owned both a Hyundai and Kia and would have no qualms about purchasing another of either. The Hyundai was a 2006 Sonata LX that I used for 10 years and put on about 160K miles. Other than normal wear and tear items (battery, tires, and brakes (replaced at 103k mines) the only other problem was a faulty switch on the power seat at about 140K. My Kia is an 2012 Optima EX with 60K miles. The only things replaced have been tires and a battery.

Maybe I am the unlucky guy here...

Had a 2007 Kia Ceed turbo-diesel which I actually liked well while it lasted. Nothing special but reasonable and good economy.

It broke down after 11 years and only 110K km. Engine and transmission were still fine but the whole front axle/front suspension and steering were completely worn out. The cost to repair this would have been far beyond the value of the car... AC compressor was also worn out...

Car was maintained according to schedule by authorized Kia dealer.

Probably won't surprise you if I say I switched brands after this experience,
br,
tom

I never found the name "Sportage" very appealing, or the first generation of these vehicles. The name sounds like the product manager sat in a conference room with a burnt cup of coffee trying to name it. After rejecting the name SUV-ish but wanting to appeal to the Jeep lifestyle focus group decided to name it Sportage before heading out to lunch. :lol:

I would consider a Korean made vehicle even though my first choices are to look for a USA or Japanese made vehicle.

It broke down after 11 years and only 110K km.

I'm no mechanic, but I have owned cars for 50+ years and found that age+low mileage kills a car faster than the same age+high mileage.

We got rid of my wife's 2005 Ody with only 100,000m last year. The engine & trans were still good and the body was in good shape, but the AC was going, a 2nd row passenger seat wouldn't move (not good for anyone in the 3rd row in an emergnecy), a sliding rear door wouldn't open, it had water leaks in 3 areas, and needed brakes & a battery. It would have cost more to fix the car than it was worth. My 2004 Accord with only 50K has yearly battery/start issues, frozen calipers, rusted rotors, rotted or leaking seals in the front end and tire pressure leaking from the rims.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Time flies when you get older. I didn’t even realize how long those brands have been in the US.

Top Bottom