What's new

What do you think is the best safety razor for under $50?

Fatip Grande/Piccolo. Anything made with zamak is trash.
Zamak may be inexpensive, but it is not trash. If the screw post deteriorates on a well-designed EJ or Muhle, $50 will replace a $15 top cap 3 times. Dry it off after each use, and it may never have to be replaced at all.

For someone new to DE shaving, I can recommend the Van Der Hagen/Weishi 9306 (I like the VDH branding). You can probably get it for around $15 USD. It is a nice mild razor that is a very good clone of the 1960s Gillette Super Speed. (Or a real Super Speed: You can probably find one for less than $20 at an antique store. A vintage item like that would make a nice gift.)

Zamak may be inexpensive, but it is not trash. If the screw post deteriorates on a well-designed EJ or Muhle, $50 will replace a $15 top cap 3 times. Dry it off after each use, and it may never have to be replaced at all.
Many people have had zamak razors break in a short period of time. I don't care if they're cheap to replace... and what happens if the razor becomes unavailable? Buy 50 of them so you always have one? I'd rather buy a razor once and use it for decades.

By the way, I agree with your recommendation of Fatip. Not only is brass a more lasting material, it really wins on beautiful Italian style!

Top Bottom