What's new

What do you think about cholesterol meds?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I request the vanilla/orange flavor. I’m far to refined to accept the humdrum orange astronaut powder they give the commoners.
I used to taste the stuff I gave to my patients (meds) to see why they might refuse them. (Lots of them had dementia)

Some (okay, all, lol) left lots to be desired.

It was a way to try to understand my patients, and it helped me be more compassionate.

Doctors mostly follow the government dietary guidelines, which are inherently unhealthy and bad for you. Low fat means high carbohydrates. There is no way around it. There are only three major macronutrients; fat, carbs, and protein. If you follow your doctor's advice, you'll increase your carbs and yield the results; eventual insulin resistance, visceral fat aka truncal fat. And if you are thin, look up TOFI - oatmeal like fat all around your organs.

Exercise to lose weight? Does not work. Exercise is always good for your health, but if / when your Doc says to move more and eat less, he does not understand how metabolism really works.

Doctors treat symptoms. If they were in anyway aware of the cause and how to treat it, why wouldn't they tell type II diabetes patients to adjust their diet and cut carbs and stop eating 9 times a day? Why is the standard of care drugs - then insulin - then chop off limbs - then say your prayers? My wife has type II diabetes and she cut carbs and her A1C dropped below the type II threshold. The diet class is / was a joke. Sugar is everywhere. Carbs out the ying yang.

So who started the obesity / type II diabetes epidemic worldwide? It starts here: Dietary Guidelines 1977. The world followed the low fat lead and we see the result everywhere.

Ever notice when you watch older movies how people are thin and very rarely do you see a plump person? And you don't see morbidly obese at all. Kids? Thin. This is all before the low fat food pyramid high carb diet that's so healthy and good for you and bred into your mind from school lunches which are controlled by the guidelines.

Nowadays it's a different story. Kids taking insulin for type II diabetes. Crazy.

Not very long ago, if you went to the doctor and kidney problems were diagnosed, they'd invariably ask if you drank a lot of alcohol. Then people started telling their doc no, I don't touch the stuff, and the docs called them liars. Then, they created a new term, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease - from eating too much sugar / carbs. By cutting carbs for a few days, your body will fix this p.d.q.

Fatty Liver Disease and Ketogenic Diets

Lack of Saturated Fat Consumption: At least two studies, one from Duke University, and one from Cambridge University have shown that reducing carbohydrate consumption and increasing saturated fat intake helps the liver shed excess fat in as little as three days.

Last edited:
As a therapist I am confronted with the side effects. Never forgot my dad on simvastatine who was sure he had his dog just 1 year when it was 7. And more of those memory thingies. A couple of weeks of simvastatin and his memory was back to normal. Since a lot of older people get statins almost standard memory problems can go unnoticed. Keep in mind that a 60 yo is not old 80-90 is.

The most seen statin side effects are usually caused by magnesium deficiency problems like tremors, cramps, fatigue. Sometimes supplementation helps but coordinate with md is a bit more complicated.

problem overhere they prescribe statins according to protocol Which takes age or surgery risk not actual statin values Test into account.
And we had some scandals that statins are prescribe without real need for a lot of people.

again as a therapist (even an alternative one) I do think that there is a need and they must be prescribed in high risk cases. But we need a much higher education on prevention. And md needs to take side effects more serious and take time to find the right statins for each person.

If you go alternative route it is best to make sure your md is open to it and you communicate completely since combined treatment can influence positive and negative!

Last edited:
The drug companies fund (and perform) the vast majority of studies on statins. So, they cherry pick which studies they publish / release, and invariably they are all pro-statin medication. They have yet to release the full report on side effects. They are buried and will likely never see the light of day.

^ This is true for many drugs.

Sometimes it is what it is and you need to take something to help you along. Education, diet and exercise are your best friends. Take in as much HDL and you can, moderate intake of bad cholesterols and don’t use tobacco. Remember, the side effects of all medication is always a long list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Amen. PLEASE ask me how I'm doing, as I need an accountability partner in this, and I just volunteered YOU! lol

I would but I've been... deregulated? Disrespected? Dis....disc? Whats the word they used....discredited!

14450472_f496.jpg

FarmerTan

Lol'd! I'm actually doing pretty good today on eating right.

Ok, just kinda pretty good...

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Lol'd! I'm actually doing pretty good today on eating right.

Ok, just kinda pretty good...

Give it time. Once I dedicated myself to a change in diet and lifestyle, I lost 30lbs in 6 months. Four years later that weight has stayed off.

The hardest part wasnt finding or eating the right foods, but eating often enough. I like to eat smaller amounts 4-6 times a day. Thats difficult to do when I've lived almost my entire life eating a very light breakfast or lunch and then a big meal for supper. Thats a bad habit to be in and slows your metabolism down which leads to all sorts of problems.

FarmerTan

Give it time. Once I dedicated myself to a change in diet and lifestyle, I lost 30lbs in 6 months. Four years later that weight has stayed off.

The hardest part wasnt finding or eating the right foods, but eating often enough. I like to eat smaller amounts 4-6 times a day. Thats difficult to do when I've lived almost my entire life eating a very light breakfast or lunch and then a big meal for supper. Thats a bad habit to be in and slows your metabolism down which leads to all sorts of problems.
Until probably 15 years ago I was a "grazer" meaning I ate small amounts, all day long.

Today, especially, I have worked at doing that.

I need to shrink my stomach, and quit eating like every meal is my last, THEN I'll be on the right track.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Until probably 15 years ago I was a "grazer" meaning I ate small amounts, all day long.

Today, especially, I have worked at doing that.

I need to shrink my stomach, and quit eating like every meal is my last, THEN I'll be on the right track.

I ate like a wolf too. Old habits...

Top Bottom