What's new

What do you think about cholesterol meds?

My doctor told me he wants me to take cholesterol medicine. From everything I've read about cholesterol meds is that they have a lot of side effects, some very bad and that the drugs do not work. Yes they will bring down that number they talk about, 200 or less is the goal but just because it brings down that number does not mean it is preventing a heart-attach.

How do you feel about cholesterol meds?

My doctor told me he wants me to take cholesterol medicine. From everything I've read about cholesterol meds is that they have a lot of side effects, some very bad and that the drugs do not work. Yes they will bring down that number they talk about, 200 or less is the goal but just because it brings down that number does not mean it is preventing a heart-attach.

How do you feel about cholesterol meds?
I take Simvastin, no side effects and it works for me.
I also take blood pressure meds, blood thinner meds.
I had a blockage that required a stint, since taking these meds I feel pretty good.
Remember the meds will not work if you don't watch your diet the doctor will give you.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

My wife takes them. She did quite a bit of research and couldn't determine how well they actually work. The final decision was to follow the doctor's advice and stay on them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

There has been substantial research on the effectiveness of statins in decreasing the likelihood of heart attacks. One combo drug was virtually killed because of this research, as the combination was no more effective than the statin by itself. Statins "made the cut" and have demonstrated their effectiveness.

Are there side effects? Of course there are for some people. Most people tolerate them quite nicely. I take a high dose of a statin with no ill effects whatsoever.

I take Atorvastatin. No side effects. The way I look at it, too much cholesterol is not a good thing. Some of us can metabolize cholesterol and fats just fine. Others of us can't. We need help. A lower cholesterol number is only one aspect though. You also need to track your LDL, HDL and triglycerides numbers. Try it. If you see side effects, tell the doctor and try a different one.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
does not mean it is preventing a heart-attach.

I guess it depends what your heart is trying to attach itself to. Or to whom.

Seriously though, I would see what some good research on the internet about the ketogenic diet and intermittent fasting could lead you toward a healthier lifestyle that doesn't need medication. Maybe you still end up needing meds, but ... if you can avoid them ...

And nothing wrong with taking the meds, assuming no negative reactions, until you take sufficient measures to justify going off the meds.

I know practically all meds have some side effects, some worst than others. I also realize that there are other ways to improve ones health such as diet and exercise. It's just that when I do research online most of what I read is negative about the meds. Everything from bad side effects to the meds don't really work.

I know practically all meds have some side effects, some worst than others. I also realize that there are other ways to improve ones health such as diet and exercise. It's just that when I do research online most of what I read is negative about the meds. Everything from bad side effects to the meds don't really work.

Atorvastatin works for me. Brought my cholesterol down from one 180 to 123. Considering both my grandfathers died of massive heart attacks, I'll take the meds until I can get off my sorry butt and actually do some exercise. That is obviously the best option of all.

Personally, I don't like/trust any meds. Even pain killers I will try handle as much pain as I can before I resort to pills. I know for some, changing their diet is not enough, but that is the route I would explore first. Keto was mentioned above, and that is one of many types of diets that helps. Also, I recently began drinking Apple Cider Vinegar which has a lot of health benefits:

Atorvastatin works for me. Brought my cholesterol down from one 180 to 123. Considering both my grandfathers died of massive heart attacks, I'll take the meds until I can get off my sorry butt and actually do some exercise. That is obviously the best option of all.

I've read that the fact that it brought your number down from 180 to 123 does not mean it will prevent a heart attack. The condition is still the same.

I've read that the fact that it brought your number down from 180 to 123 does not mean it will prevent a heart attack. The condition is still the same.

I need to go for a calcium score to really determine if I have any plaque build up issues. If I don't, then I'd say the lack of plaque is due to the meds. I don't think anyone can base their decision on something they've read somewhere. Every person is different and what works for one may not for another, and vice versa.

My cholesterol number is 175, HDL is 45, LDL is 116. Nothing real bad here but my doctor said because I have diabetes I have a 36% chance of having a heart attach in the next 10 years.
Not sure what to do. I leaning toward trying diet and exercise.

Personally if you’re committed to lowering your cholesterol i’d work out 4-5 times a week and eat very healthy. Do it for 3 months and if the numbers don’t start dropping go on the meds. As others have said, sometimes it’s just genetic and you need to use medication to help regulate it. Very often though it’s lifestyle based and changing your diet and exercise will be sufficient. Either way, i’d try diet and exercise first as i view any medication as a last resort. Unless of course there’s some underlying condition that prevents you from doing so.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
My cholesterol number is 175, HDL is 45, LDL is 116. Nothing real bad here but my doctor said because I have diabetes I have a 36% chance of having a heart attach in the next 10 years.
Not sure what to do. I leaning toward trying diet and exercise.

Personally I would try the diet and exercise (I have) regime. Easier said than done but personally I avoid all meds like the plague. If you don't see meaningful benefit from the new regime then consider the meds, but first give it an honest try.

Edit: Yeah, what @Macduff said^^^

Personally if you’re committed to lowering your cholesterol i’d work out 4-5 times a week and eat very healthy. Do it for 3 months and if the numbers don’t start dropping go on the meds. As others have said, sometimes it’s just genetic and you need to use medication to help regulate it. Very often though it’s lifestyle based and changing your diet and exercise will be sufficient. Either way, i’d try diet and exercise first as i view any medication as a last resort. Unless of course there’s some underlying condition that prevents you from doing so.
Personally I would try the diet and exercise (I have) regime. Easier said than done but personally I avoid all meds like the plague. If you don't see meaningful benefit from the new regime then consider the meds, but first give it an honest try.

Edit: Yeah, what @Macduff said^^^

+1000 to both of these. But here's the thing. People often say they are going to make lifestyle changes when hearing this kind of news and then do nothing. For those people the meds make the most sense. But I agree. Diet and exercise should always be the first option. But working out once a week isn't going to cut it. Good luck.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
+1000 to both of these. But here's the thing. People often say they are going to make lifestyle changes when hearing this kind of news and then do nothing. For those people the meds make the most sense. But I agree. Diet and exercise should always be the first option. But working out once a week isn't going to cut it. Good luck.

Yep. Again, easier said than done. But diet and exercise has shown great results in helping both diabetes and high cholesterol (arthritis, etc etc...). We all know what to do, doing it is the hard part.

I’m on atorvastatin and a blood thinner due to atherosclerosis. I haven’t had significant side effects but I also take a CoQ10 supplement. Statins can lower the levels of CoQ10 within the body and taking a supplement can help with side effects.

Yep. Again, easier said than done. But diet and exercise has shown great results in helping both diabetes and high cholesterol (arthritis, etc etc...). We all know what to do, doing it is the hard part.

That's for sure. I've been trying to exercise regularly most of my life but it doesn't last long usually.

Top Bottom