What's new

What do you splurge on? and skimp on?

Splurge
- Razors: I have collected a number of vintage Gillettes as well as straights. I have no issue paying for quality on these.
- Blades: Even the best blades are only $.40-.60 per blade. Cheep is .10, live a little, spend the quarter.
- Soaps: Nice soaps are nice, lots of good budget options, but SV et al. are good.
- Creams: Castle Forbes is worth it. I love Palmolive, but there is nothing like CF Lavender.

Skimp
- Brushes: I have a Rooney Best that was the first brush I bought. I have tried others, but gave up and stayed with this one.
- Aftershave: I use 444 + Figaro. I only switched from 444 + Blue Floid because of the great Blue Floid Rapture. I like menthol + alcohol + a mild barber shop scent + big glass bottle. The 444 adds a shot of glycerin.
- Pre-Shave: I am looking into the cube instead of proraso. $30 every 4-6 months vs. $6.

I don't splurge on anything. I am a volume over substance person and I look for bargains, which for me, is part of the excitement.

All but two of my razors are vintage Gillette the most expensive being a 61 Fatboy at $27 shipped. I have 5 Gillette Slims and the most expensive of those was $12 shipped ... etc.

Soaps are my thing though, the most expensive one I have cost $14, but I have a crap-ton that cost less than $10 (I have over 30). I only buy when there is a good sale going on (ie. RazoRock's deal of the day) and I participate in a group buy with our 'focus group'. :001_tongu

Still, I would like to try some higher end soaps like Tabac, MdC and Pre de Provence No. 63. Just waiting for the price to be right. :biggrin1:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I'll buy quality razors but sometimes have to talk myself into it. I looked at the Blackland Sabre for three years; I bought a Focus Slim Al within a week of learning about them. Both of them I consider ideal examples of what a razor should be.

I'll happily experiment with inexpensive soaps, and even shave with non-shave soaps just for the heck of it. I also make my own soap because I like strong cedar scent and lots of slickness and I can't find a commercial soap that's all that for me.

I like good brushes, but a good brush to me is a boar brush. Automatic savings.

My blades are Astra SP for slants and shavettes, Personna Stainless PTFE coated for Gems, and Kai Captain Titan Mild Pink for the one AC razor I actually like to use, the RazoRock Hawk V3SB.

My biggest splurge is setting aside a full hour three times a week to spend in the Shave Cave. Then Mrs. Hippie runs her warm gentle hands over my head and tells me how nice my shave feels.

O.H.

curious how other Members outfit their "dens".

What tools of the trade do you really spend for? and which are you more budget-conscious?

Razor, blades, brush, soap/cream, aftershave/balm, cologne/fragrance, other accessories (bowls, stands, etc)

I'm sure some Members don't "skimp" on anything: Wolfman razor, custom artisan made brush, the best triple-milled soaps, etc.
Other might not "splurge" on anything: Vintage Gillette Tech, simple boar brush, arko stick, etc.

I bet most are somewhere inbetween....

Me?
I think the only items I keep that would be considered "premium" are Soaps/Creams. and with a recent purchase, perhaps Razors...

Razors
Up until now, I'd say I'm somewhat budget-conscious? Pre-War Tech Fathandle, Fatip Lo Storto Original, Merkur Progress (got for a great sale price). But I'm slipping, and just ordered a Karve Christopher brass with a OC and SB plate yesterday.

Blades
Blades are relatively cheap all around, but I use some of the more expensive ones? (Balzano, Gillette Silver Blue) along with average-priced Astras and Personnas.

Brushes
I am totally satisfied with relatively inexpensive Omega and Semogue boars, but also have a few mid-tier Simpson Best (Berkeley, Commodore)

Soaps/Creams
I have a MdC (totally worth it!), and a DR Harris in wooden bowl on the way. and a few Officina Artigiana.
I also use plenty of lower-priced creams like Proraso, Cella, Speick, Mogno, etc. And like Fine soaps which are pretty reasonably priced.

Aftershaves/Balms
I like to match set with the soaps/creams I keep. These all seem to be priced about the same ($10-$16) except for the DR Harris which I'm still choking on the price a bit (~$40) and have not purchased (yet!)

Cologne/Fragrance
I don't use cologne/fragrance.

Accessories
I use cheap stuff. No fancy things here, except for a home-made storage rack.
I splurge on blades and soaps, I skimp on aftershaves and brushes. Im still yet to see how an artisan aftershave is any better than P&G Old Spice or where a $150 silvertip brush is better than an Omega boar.

Splurge: Soaps, brushes, razors, post shave, fragrance

skimp: razor stands, brush stands, bowls, scuttles (I own none)

Splurge: Brushes, Razors, Soaps, Creams, Stones, Strops, Bowls, Blades

Skip: Aftershave and Balm (Thayers and Nivea is all that I need)

Before joining the forum, I used to use my fathers razor (without guard), foam (Gillette) and Wilkinson or Astor (BiC company) blade. The shaving was a necessity and very boring.

Thanks to this forum, shaving has become a big pleasure.

I splurge:

Razors: I started with Merkur Progress, R41, iKon Tech, about 5 slants and some Yaqi (I was used to aggressive shaving). My Progress was my most expensive but after a year (and much research) I bought a Blackland Blackbird OC, which has become (almost) my daily razor. I do not need more.

Brushes: I own about 5 Omega and Semogue boar brushes, 2-3 badger Yaqi, but my Shavemac and Simpsons (from pure badger to Manchurian) are on top of the list. I do not need more.

Blades: After using many samples for a long time, my best (for me) are Crystal+, BiC and Nacet. I do not mind using a Feather sometime. I do not need more.

Soaps: I want to try more and more and more... although MdC and MWF are on top of my list, I like using different soaps, including Arko, Cella, and very many in between.

I skimp:

Cologne, aftershaves, balms, razor stands, bowls, scuttles (Thayers and alum is all I need).

As a participant in this year's purchasing sabbatical I'm not splurging on anything 🙂

Prior to that however, I have spent a few bob on razors - not outrageous sums but enough. As far as soaps and creams go I'm lucky in that my favourites are Proraso Green and TOBS Sandalwood. All others don't quite do it for me. Much the same applies to brushes. I love my Omega boars and my AP Shave Co synthetics. The 2 times I did splurge on a fancy badger I was left unimpressed. Blades are by definition pretty damn cheap so splurging would be difficult.

I guess this makes me a relatively frugal shaver, although I'm sure my wife would disagree.... 😉

I don't really splurge or skimp when making shaving related purchases, but I don't really make a lot of them.
I have around 300 blades, no real need to buy more soon, there was just 11.11 sale and got 2 Yaqi brushes for 10€ each, that will hold a few years. Not an aftershave guy, 1 bottle of Old Spice Bearglove is enough.

My razor purchases could also be called skimpy. I have Rockwell 6S as my main (and most expensive) razor, I knew after 3 shaves that this is my destination razor. Occasionally I buy a razor I find interesting, I keep it under 50€, for example FOCS.

One could say that I splurge on soaps. I have modest rotation of 9 soaps, most expensive beeing Stirling, so not a big spender in that area too.

I used to spend on everything, razors, soaps and creams, pre and post shaves, aftershaves and colognes, blades, brushes, etc. But I haven’t bought a brush in a year or so. I still have ten I’ve never used, maybe half that amount that I’ve used once or twice. Now, I just use the same old Semogue badger every day. I’ve got maybe thirty tubs of creams and soaps, but now I use mostly sticks and tubes. Blades? Thousands, varying brands, like everyone else, but now I pretty much just use Feathers and the German made Wilkinson Swords. I no longer use any type of post or pre-shave, with the exception of aftershave and the occasional alum block. What I do still spend on are vintage Gillette razors. There’s a few I’ll never be able to afford, barring tripping over one in the wild. But I still manage to occasionally find an affordable razor that I don’t have. And sometimes I’ll buy a razor just because it or the case is in mint condition, to replace a razor or case that I already have, that is less than collector grade.

Frankly, I don't splurge on anything any more.

Razors
Hawk v3-SB Stainless Steel Single Edge (SE) razor has been my (almost) exclusive daily driver for months now.

Blades
Feather PB20, PS20 for Hawk and Feather Yellow for my AS-D2

Brush
Proraso Pro boar by Omega

Soaps/Creams
My learning curve started with the "usual suspects" in the soap dept. - Proraso, Tabac, TOBS, DRH, etc...

Nowadays, I only use two brands - SV and A&E (have a few others in my den, haven't used them in a while).

Aftershaves/Balms
Almost exclusively SV, with Desert Vetiver, Opuntia and Cubebe being favorites so far. I prefer the unique gel-like texture of SV A/S to both splash and balm. Sometimes I follow up with Nivea Protect & Care moisturizing cream (not A/S balm).

Accessories
Alum block for my fingers, as I always stretch my skin. Never use it on my face though, no need.

So, I'm a happy camper, basically a 1 razor / 1 brush guy, who managed to find a perfect set-up.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
No splurging here. I simply don't see the value of the items with higher price tags, nor have any desire for bathroom bling. I'm not buying anything at the moment, as I have all I require, but my nominal price cut off points are as follows:

Razor £35
Brush £20
Blades £10/100
Post Shave £5-ish

I would need a very good reason to aim higher than those price tags.

On soaps and creams, I'll aim low for most things, but have spent a little more for others. I haven't yet paid £20+ for anything though, and need some coaxing to go above £10. I tend to think more in terms of cost per shave though, and when some products like Haslinger can give 200+ great shaves for £6, and Mitchell's can give 500 great shaves for not much more, I still feel some reluctance when considering a Wickhams or Phoenix and Beau soap, even though I really enjoy those shaves.

Razors - I've spent a lot of money on Wolfman Razors.

Brushes - Again higher end stuff is pricey. Black Eagle, Varlet, Mozingo ZT and Declaration Grooming.

Blades - Feather blades for the most part. There are cheaper blades but these aren't expensive though as I can use each blade for 20 plus shaves and not notice a decrease in performance. All blades are cheap if you compare them to carts.

Soaps - I've likely spent the most money on soaps in a quest to find the best stuff on the planet. After buying and trying just about everything out there, I started making my own soap as a hobby. I now use soap that I make myself as I've found nothing better. I've taken a spare no expense stance on making my own soap so yeah, that's expensive as well. If I'm not using my own soap then I'm likely using Ethos.

Creams - generally don't use creams.

Aftershaves - Again I'm using stuff I make myself. Sometimes Maol, Ethos or Tallow & Steel aftershaves. These can be a bit pricey but there are some more expensive ones out there.

Cologne - Niche or higher end stuff mostly. Not so much of the stuff that you find in a department store as I don't want to smell like everyone else. So it's a bit more costly but I haven't gotten as carried away here. I do have some cheaper knock offs of higher end stuff (like Creed Aventus clones) that I'll wear to work as well.

Bowls - I have a couple Captain's Choice bowls that I use every so often. Not a daily thing.

Accessories - An alum block. Was about six bucks. Yeah, finally something cheap.

On a positive note I have all of the razors, and brushes that I want and don't need anything else. I haven't bought any hardware in a very long time and have not intention of doing so in the near future. It took forever but I'm completely satisfied with what I have. I haven't found anything better so far despite my efforts so I'm not chasing the latest greatest new thing out anymore. While this stuff was expensive it'll likely last me the rest of my life.

The biggest expense I've found is all of the stuff I've bought and sold or given away in searching for the very best shave. The stuff you buy and don't use is the most costly. Even if you end up with some very expensive items, the stuff you keep and use isn't nearly expensive in comparison.

I haven't spent a penny on shaving in about a year and a half. In fact, I am making money shaving, because I have brought in more money selling my old gear than I have spent on shaving stuff.

So I guess at this point I skimp on everything!

I will also add that cheap synthetic brushes are better brushes than expensive badgers, in my opinion.

I am more skimp than splurge overall, for sure. From 2009-12 I spent a lot and was very acquisitive. But really this was just to find what I liked and what worked for me. Since then I have sold or gifted a lot of stuff.

I now have a 10 year old Edwin Jagger and a 60(?) year old English Tech and I won’t buy another DE ever most likely. I use a Broman (was £35 GBP) or a Gillette Guard (very cheap for cartridges) most days. I have 200 Permasharp half DEs that cost about £10 and 100 Astra SP that cost £8.50.

I only buy soaps/creams I consider to be great value for money. Cella, Proraso, MWF, Erasmic, and a Lea stick are all I have. Total cost around £30. I have two synthetic brushes (a Yaqi and a random travel synth travel brush).

I only really ‘splurge’ on Nivea Sensitive Intensive Moisturiser. About £7 per 50 ml. It is a new-ish product in the UK and it is fantastic - comes in a glass jar so can be kept cold in the fridge very well!

For me, Ive skimped and splurged on everything - on what is really a matter of dates ... like treason I suppose ...

Anyway, when I started just over a decade ago my focus was blades. It was the cheapest thing to splurge on, IMO had the most impact of any single element in the shaving process, and seemed to be the items that were most prone to obsolescence.

I caught the bug pretty big again in Feb of last year and really splurged everything save blades. I was missing out a bit, especially with the advances in razors (GC, Karve, etc) as well as using AS regularly for the first time. All in all, in that short time probably went from 5 to 15 razors, 10 to 40 soaps, 3 to 20 AS, and 5 to 15 brushes.

What a hobby.

I splurge as my whims drive me. I think I started with DEs...then got the vintage DE bug. Next thing it’s soap and creams of all kinds...then it’s brushes...then it’s Vintage SE...then it’s AS...then it’s brushes again...then it’s straights...etc.
Im a journeyman shaver and pretty good at shaving with just about anything...but not any kind of expert in any one field. I use everything that I own, but don’t think I’ve ever used the same combination twice in my life.

I've splurged on brushes, vintage razors and vintages blades in 2020. I ended up with about 12 high-end Simpsons brushes, about 40 gillette razors and many vintage Wilkinson Blades. The razors im trying and rationalise and simplify further, most are New, New Improved and Old Types but different condition or variations/finishes/sets.

I had generally skimped on soaps, content mostly with TOBS soap and cream, and the loads of Simpsons shaving cream compliments of all those brushes. In December 2020 I acquired 8 new soaps which put me into the splurge camp for those.

I skimp on post, pre shaving treatments and cologne. Colognes seem to last me for years and fade in quality before I can finish them.

Top Bottom