What's new

What Do You Reach for After a TERRIBLE Shave

For any sort of bleeding or bad irritation (thankfully rare) i use distilled witch hazel and then Nivia sensitive after shave balm. I do have an alum block, but it hasn't seen much action in several years.

I have always used a trick my father told me from his army days - run a full basin of the coldest water you can and then hold your breath and hold your face down in the water as long as you can - it does actually work very well for quickly settling down weepers and irritation.

I would be another to go for Lucky Tiger.

Is full of wonderful ingredients, no alcohol, great juice for the face, I use it regularly even if I have no bad shaves.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Weepers: Speick balm.

Irritation: Alum.

Actual cut: Styptic pencil.

Arterial slice: First-aid kit.

AA

1. Ice cold water, as cold as I can get it, not just splashed on but a facecloth soaked and placed on my face for a few minutes.
2. Thayers cucumber toner, really cooling.
3. Next, and this is the dangerous part, I butcher a leaf from the wifes large aloe plant on the balcony,nothing like a good massage with fresh aloe for healing and cooling, but if she catches me in the act I'm for it.
4. Not shaving for next three days.
Job's a good 'un.

If it happens I go with cold water -> alum -> cold water -> Saponificio Varesino Pro Victis.
Then I skip to shave the day after.

After a terrible shave, i would usually, in the first instance, note that it is only certain areas of my face that are afflicted and just look at myself in the mirror and say "SLOW DOWN".

Prevention is always better than a cure and normally involves me getting into the right mental state for a shave - otherwise the Gillette Fusion comes out (yes i do still possess a multi-blade cartridge and i do pickup a small stock of carts whenever the supermarket has an offer on)

I have several battery powered travel electrics distributed around car / office too, for when a mid-afternoon mow is absolutely required.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
My shaves are usually great but if I have a sunburn or have to shave twice in one day (happens occasionally) and my face is feeling raw my go to is Speick splash followed by a good moisturizer. For me that works as well as anything I've tried.

Top Bottom