What's new

What Do You Reach for After a TERRIBLE Shave

For irritation and razor burn, my go to is Proraso Pre-Post shave cream. The cooling effects calm almost any level of irritation for me. Always feels great, haven't had to use it in quite awhile though.

I actually used Proraso green pre-shave as a post shave cream for the first time. It has so much menthol in it, it's almost like lidocaine :). When you use it post shave, do you rinse it off after a few minutes or just leave it on?

I actually used Proraso green pre-shave as a post shave cream for the first time. It has so much menthol in it, it's almost like lidocaine :). When you use it post shave, do you rinse it off after a few minutes or just leave it on?
I typically use a little with a fair bit of water and leave it on. The nice thing is that I can sort of reactivate it with a little water later as well.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I've seen witch hazel come up a few times now. I have some on-hand and I never thought about aloe Vera gel, but I have a big plant in the house.
These are the products i like to use, the Aloe Vera I have used well over 25 years for my hair moisturizer, sunburns and just skin dry skin care & a dollop for pre-shave on beard area and the Witch Hazel I have used over 2 years and did some research. It is really good for folks who have skin issues of redness and other problems. Thayers makes a good product & I like their medicated one with cloves for skin blemishes or other issues. I like Dickinson's witch hazel for after the shave to clean residual soap of my face and it is a astringent also for minor abrasions you can not see(contains 14% alcohol also-you don't need a lot) also it's cheap and both products I can buy at our local Walmart.
Shaving goodness (2).jpg
These are two excellent products I use for my shave routine.
Have some great shaves!

This does the trick for me. Apply 2-3 times/day until your next shave. Does a great job rehydrating the skin.
proxy.php

Envoyé de mon SM-N950W en utilisant Tapatalk

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
I’ve not had a properly bad shave in ages, but when I’ve done something stupid like nicked myself or gone over irritated areas too much, a cold towel usually provides immediate relief.

When I didn't know to stop, load a fresh blade in a smoother razor, or to rinse the face & build new lather, I would get bad shaves. A few trips to the Nivea Balm every 20 minutes or so would help calm it down.

Now, however, if I've had a rough shave after trying a new razor, my remedy is the next day to reach for either my original gold standard, a Pre-War Fat Handle Tech, or my current gold standard, a President.

A simple pharmaceutical-grade moisturiser. The same stuff prescribed for eczema, dermatitis etc.

Really effective. No scents, no unnecessary extras. Cheap.

I rarely get truly bad shaves these days, these would happen with carts when I would unwisely try to wring a few more shaves out of one. With my AC SS and Razorock Hawk bad razor burn is largely a thing of the past I'm glad to say.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
For razor burn after a bad shave, I use copious amounts of cold water, alum block and an ice pack from the freezer. For bleeding, alum block, Styptic Pencil and if still bleeding a gauze pack from the first aid kit.

Something alcohol free makes sense, like Thayers Witch Hazel. Maybe follow up with a soothing balm (alcohol free), Nivea Sensitive probably is a good choice.

Depending on how bad it was skip the next day.

Words of Wisdom: don't have bad shaves :p

If there is a really terrible shave (the last one was with a vintage razor that had a crooked head which I didn't notice), I use the same as ever: the Nivea Men Sensitive After Shave Balsam.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
If I'm having a bad shave--which is blessedly rare--it's usually because I'm trying to wring out one last shave from a blade that ought to be binned (or banned). So I just load another razor and finish the job. No point in muscling through with a tool that's not working.

For post, I endure the lessons of the alum block, then quiet everything down with a few dabs of CeraVe moisturizer.

I can honestly say I've never really had any sort of lasting razor burn, even during my R41 days--and I'm a daily shaver. Maybe I'm just too dumb to notice.

Top Bottom