What's new

What Do You Reach for After a TERRIBLE Shave

Asking for a friend :). Other than a drink, what do you reach for after a terrible shave? A shave that was so bad that after the second stroke you could feel the razor burn. Like a shave where maybe your lather was a little thin, you decided to do a diagonal ATG on your neck for the first time and the blade? The blade probably should have been changed two shaves ago.

What do you pull out of your den for such an occasion?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Asking for a friend :). Other than a drink, what do you reach for after a terrible shave? A shave that was so bad that after the second stroke you could feel the razor burn. Like a shave where maybe your lather was a little thin, you decided to do a diagonal ATG on your neck for the first time and the blade? The blade probably should have been changed two shaves ago.

Great question! I had bad shaves early in my journey, but I didn’t know enough to realize the difference between a bad shave and a less bad shave. My shaves today are either great or sublime, depending upon the combination of goods I choose. But if I did have a bad shave today, tomorrow I would pull out my Gillette Pre-war Tech, an Astra SP blade and Tabac.

I do get bad shaves some times for a variety of reasons, mostly new gear. If it burns a lot, I use Aloe sun burn gel that contains lidocaine.... the most I applied was x3 after butchering my scalp w an electric razor (first and last time).
That stuff I think is the best!

Nivea cooling balm. I hardly touch the stuff since first learning to shave with a safety razor. Through experience I've learned to identify a dull blade or a lacking lather.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

I don’t do terrible shaves. Solves the problem entirely.

Been a long, long time since I had a really bad shave, but thinking back the shave balms work pretty well for that. They also are good for a bad case of windburn in the winter.

For irritation and razor burn, my go to is Proraso Pre-Post shave cream. The cooling effects calm almost any level of irritation for me. Always feels great, haven't had to use it in quite awhile though.

Quench the fires from hell razor burn with this.

proxy.php

If that does not work, there's always this.

proxy.php

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I like to use witch hazel regular and not the toner type because it has a little alcohol to clean and it does have other nutrients followed by clear aloe Vera gel and just leave it alone until next day or longer. For blemish (pimples) or possible ingrown hairs I take a alcohol swap and wipe only the affected area. I had a ingrown a while back which I rarely get and what a miserable ordeal to get it out out because of a very small target. Actually a person who gets ingrown hairs should more than likely shave with the Grain and avoid multi blade razors and just use single edge blade on the skin like a DE or SE razor or grow a beard.

I like to use witch hazel regular and not the toner type because it has a little alcohol to clean and it does have other nutrients followed by clear aloe Vera gel and just leave it alone until next day or longer. For blemish (pimples) or possible ingrown hairs I take a alcohol swap and wipe only the affected area. I had a ingrown a while back which I rarely get and what a miserable ordeal to get it out out because of a very small target. Actually a person who gets ingrown hairs should more than likely shave with the Grain and avoid multi blade razors and just use single edge blade on the skin like a DE or SE razor or grow a beard.

I've seen witch hazel come up a few times now. I have some on-hand and I never thought about aloe Vera gel, but I have a big plant in the house.

Top Bottom