What's new

What do you like in a Handle? What floats your boat?

S

Sam

I saw Joel's review of the XXL shavemac. I agree. His horn handle looks great, compared to the white, faux-ivory one I have. However, the design of it is not all that bad. I thought at first it was too bulky, but it works. Really, I think it is a better handle for me to grip than the SMF1 design. Nothing looks as good as the SMF1 handle (that wood should get anyone's attention). But sometimes I find that I grip the SMF1 by the top near the ring under the bristle base, and sometimes I grip it mid-brush.

Anyway, we talk about bristles but not the handle much.

Sam

There are a few things I look for:

Material. I get tired of faux ivory. If I can find something else, like black resin, wood, etc. I am very happy.

Flare at bottom. I like a handle that flares out so I can grip the brush down there, providing a better lever arm for lathering.

Not too many small depressions. Crud always ends up in there, and it is a pain to get out.

Some people get hung up on ergonomics, but come on, you are only using this thing for a few minutes. Aesthetics are key.

Sam,

My favorite handle is anything that is Persian Jar Style. I love the shape. I do love the SMF brushes, with their large, bulbous bottoms. But the easiest handle I have to use belongs to a Shavemac, but not one of the SMF brushes. It's the one that has been made fun of. Maybe a "NUT" handle is the appropriate name. I really don't know what to call it, but it's a handle you can grab anywhere, bottom, top or middle, and still have a handle you can hang on to. At first glance, yeah, maybe it is ugly. But the beauty of this 26mm knot brush is the handle itself.

Randy

I've yet to use a brush with a handle with which I noticeably disagree. My two favorites are Simpson's PJ3 and my Shavemac custom (same handle shape as Joel's horn handled).

BTW, Randy, I've always liked the handle on your brush and had a hard time picking between it and the model I ended up with. I may still end up with one.

I never really thought about it but as long as I can grip the handle easily without it slipping I'm good. Long handles are nice as they allow more control, easier control.

Chris

Another vote for the PJ3's handle--just long enough to grasp firmly, not too much wasted length.

I just got 2-20 mm silver tip brush heads from Blankity-Blanks (they were out of the 24 mm silvers) and a 24 inch blank of Bolivain Rosewood from the local Woodcraft supply. This is my 1st go at a handle.

Sam said:
I saw Joel's review of the XXL shavemac. I agree. His horn handle looks great, compared to the white, faux-ivory one I have. However, the design of it is not all that bad. I thought at first it was too bulky, but it works. Really, I think it is a better handle for me to grip than the SMF1 design. Nothing looks as good as the SMF1 handle (that wood should get anyone's attention). But sometimes I find that I grip the SMF1 by the top near the ring under the bristle base, and sometimes I grip it mid-brush.

Anyway, we talk about bristles but not the handle much.

Sam

I also am quite fond of the horn handle design. There is something to be said for the classic faux ivory polished to a nice luster though.
Cheers,
Jeff

Here's the latest pic of my brush, I've now wrapped the head with tape and epoxied the head to handle. Tommorrow I'll post the finished produce.

The handle now that the waste is cut off is 3 inches tall and the brush is 2 1/4 so 5 1/5 total. It's actually kinda of danity. The epoxy needs to cure for several days before I can try it out.

cooncatbob said:
The handle now that the waste is cut off is 3 inches tall and the brush is 2 1/4 so 5 1/5 total. It's actually kinda of danity. The epoxy needs to cure for several days before I can try it out.

That's worse than waiting on Christmas!

Randy

Here's a pic of the finished product. The left over epoxy on the mixing board is hard as a rock, so I'm going to try this baby out. I'm going to use the Tom's of Maine cream but I'm not going to soak the brush in the hot water, just a quick dip.

Looks like a broom - don't sweep the floor with it..:wink: .. Seriously, though - nice work. make sure you let us know how it works.

Top Bottom