What's new

What do you like about synthetic brushes?

I am asking this question because I got one, and I just don't see the appeal. I want to learn how to appreciate this brush, but it's hard when:

It doesn't want to splay. I have to paint the lather on.

It won't make lather with the tips, when I try the Italian Barber process, which has become my go-to lathering process.

It splatters lather on my mirror.

The brush is a Simpson Duke 3 with Platinum bristles. It should be a good synthetic brush, but I'm having trouble figuring out what's good about it.
Hi! Cleans really well with fresh water..
Smells great. No shedding. No critters harmed. My Edwin Jagger Synthetic is so nice and the lather is illegal! Have fun in our amazing hobby. Best, Ron Eastman

I like my Simpson T2, but it took time to learn how it wants to be used. Face lathering is out of the question, as are hard soaps. It whips up a great lather in a bowl. I don't try to make it splay because it doesnt want to. Just scrub with the tips and paint lather on.

I think I'm going to try a brush from PAA based on people's comments here.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I like my Simpson T2, but it took time to learn how it wants to be used. Face lathering is out of the question, as are hard soaps. It whips up a great lather in a bowl. I don't try to make it splay because it doesnt want to. Just scrub with the tips and paint lather on.

I think I'm going to try a brush from PAA based on people's comments here.

Interesting...

I face lather with my Simpson T2, as bowl lathering incorporates far too much air, and ruins the lather. There is a knack to splaying, start to paint, then swirl while the bristles are leaning over. It works great (for me) on everything from hard soaps to creams.

Reactions: Anu
Interesting...

I face lather with my Simpson T2, as bowl lathering incorporates far too much air, and ruins the lather. There is a knack to splaying, start to paint, then swirl while the bristles are leaning over. It works great (for me) on everything from hard soaps to creams.
Thanks for the tip! I want to take that brush on a trip soon (as folks have said synthetics travel well) but I'm not dragging lather bowl along. I will try this technique.

I have a couple of synths, a Simpsons Chubby 2 and a Wolf Whiskers Black Wolf. I also got rid of a bunch while I was searching for one that I liked. For me, they just aren't as enjoyable to use as badger, and I only use them to bowl lather, while I usually face lather with badger brushes. Some say you need less soap and water. I'd agree on the water part of that (not the soap part, though), and it seems like I can create the lather a bit quicker most of the time. They do dry quickly.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Plisson La Maison du Barbier Synthetic is, 'The One.' :)

oFBENe8.jpeg

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I am asking this question because I got one, and I just don't see the appeal. I want to learn how to appreciate this brush, but it's hard when:

It doesn't want to splay. I have to paint the lather on.

It won't make lather with the tips, when I try the Italian Barber process, which has become my go-to lathering process.

It splatters lather on my mirror.

The brush is a Simpson Duke 3 with Platinum bristles. It should be a good synthetic brush, but I'm having trouble figuring out what's good about it.
Nothing I can think of.

I use synthetic brushes myself exclusively, you don't have to be a vegan to use it.
There's no animal odor at all, no need soaking the brush, less product to work, dries faster, way softer than boars.
Synthetic fiber shaving brush is also called artificial badger.

Low cost. Long life. Doesn’t shed (typically). Easy to lather. Doesnt eat lather like natural brushes. Uses less cream/soap to lather. Consistent brush to brush characteristics. Animal friendly. Doesn’t require soaking before lathering. Quick drying. Doesn’t require breaking in. No funky animal smell.

I use synthetics primarily because of ease of use. It has nothing to do for me with the vegan approach. It produces, for me, lather fairly quickly with very minimal effort consistently. Whether it’s bowl or face lathering it’s consistently effortless. It dries fast.. and the maintainable for it is minimal. I’ve tried boar, and between the breakage, and the 5 minutes plus trying to make a lather and failing miserably, I ended up ditching it. It’s not to say I won’t go back and try boar or badger again, I just realize I need more time and practice with them. In the meantime I’ll stick with the tried and true synthetic approach I’ve been using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom