What's new

What do you lather your Pre De Provence in?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Okay. The puck was designed to work well by itself too. I don’t use a bowl.
I guess I came across as "my way is the only right way"... that wasn't my intention... sorry about that. There are always lots of ways to do things. As long as it works, that's the bottom line....achieving the same goal. I'll try to state things more clearly in the future.

Me personally, I don't like loading hard pucks from a tin or container or mug. I either use the shave soap as a shave stick, rub it on the face or I hold the soap in one hand and load with the brush in the other hand. I get really good results using these two methods. People can load however they want and what they feel the most comfortable with. I believe the tin PDP comes in is for mainly storage purposes meaning you take the soap out of the tin and load it that way and than air dry it and than put it back in the tin for storage until you use it again, but if someone likes loading inside a tin, by all means, keep doing it.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
That’s me, load from the tin, same as I do all my soaps regardless of size. There are certainly smaller containers than PdP…Cella and Arko come to mind. I like to invert the tin and load heavily over the sink, can be a bit messy sometimes, works for me though.

well, Canada Shaving soap is extremely hard.. I use the same little spoon to shave some flakes off the top into my shaving bowl... add a little water... and still smear it thin.... works like a charm.
I use the same method to make lather with all of my soaps. Scrape some soap from the top of the puck with a spoon and press it into the bottom of my Captains Choice lather bowl. I thoroughly wet my brush and give the brush just one good shake before swirling the brush on the bottom of the lather bowl. With practice you get the hang of how much soap and water you need with different soaps. Works great for PDP 63.

Me personally, I don't like loading hard pucks from a tin or container or mug. I either use the shave soap as a shave stick, rub it on the face or I hold the soap in one hand and load with the brush in the other hand. I get really good results using these two methods. People can load however they want and what they feel the most comfortable with. I believe the tin PDP comes in is for mainly storage purposes meaning you take the soap out of the tin and load it that way and than air dry it and than put it back in the tin for storage until you use it again, but if someone likes loading inside a tin, by all means, keep doing it.
This ^^^^^

For me this method is the only way to use PdP or any other little pucks. I started out holding the puck in my left hand and lathered the brush from that. Then I switched to using it like a shave stick. This felt like this was the most efficient use of the soap. Not that I really care about being efficient with soap, I mean it's just soap. Oh yeah, another thing I do is always load from the bottom of the puck so it looks like it has never been used when it's placed back into the tin, bottom side down. It just gets shorter.

I used their No. 63 shave soap for the first time today. I lathered it like I do all my soaps. Soaked my brush in warm water then loaded it straight from the tin it came in. Transfered the brush into my scuttle. 30 seconds or so later...nice , creamy lather.

I used their No. 63 shave soap for the first time today. I lathered it like I do all my soaps. Soaked my brush in warm water then loaded it straight from the tin it came in. Transfered the brush into my scuttle. 30 seconds or so later...nice , creamy lather.
I too load my brush in the tin, then work up the lather in my bowl. It's great soap, and lasts a very long time. :thumbsup:

I too load my brush in the tin, then work up the lather in my bowl. It's great soap, and lasts a very long time. :thumbsup:

Out of curiosity, how long do you load your brush? I usually load for about 10-15 seconds and have no trouble making good lather regardless of the soap im using.

Out of curiosity, how long do you load your brush? I usually load for about 10-15 seconds and have no trouble making good lather regardless of the soap im using.
Actually I go by the amount of soap in the brush, not necessarily any set time. When the strands of hair start clumping together I know that I'm nearly there. After you've used it a time or two, you'll know. Enjoy!

Actually I go by the amount of soap in the brush, not necessarily any set time. When the strands of hair start clumping together I know that I'm nearly there. After you've used it a time or two, you'll know. Enjoy!

I've been wet shaving for a long time. I know what works for me, I was just curious about your technique.

I do the same with all my hard soaps:
  • Wet face
  • Puck in hand
  • Load with moist brush
  • Rub puck on cheeks and chin to remove residual moisture
  • Replace Puck in container - proceed to face lather

I'm sorry if I offended you. I certainly didn't mean to. I guess I wrongly assumed that you were a first time user of PdP. My bad!

Not at all. Re-reading my comment it did seem kind of snarky. Did not mean it that way at all. I was just curious as to a fellow bowl latherers brush loading time.

Happy shaves!

I turn everything into a shave stick and it works well, especially for a hard soap like PdP #63. Grating a puck into a used Speick deodorant container is a good size. BTW I forgot my shave stick in the shower yesterday and used my PdP Agrumes bath bar with a Semogue boar brush and it lathered like a champ and provided a great shave! The grapefruit scent of the Agrumes bar is great too. The spiced rum bar is next. I wonder how grating some with MWF would be?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I always smoosh a dollop of soap or cream into my lathering bowl.... or scrape some in if the soap is one of those very hard ones. Same routine every time.... as people suggest, lathering time is soap dependent.

I have had to vary the lather consistency lately... because the Grooming Department pre-shave causes the lather to thicken up significantly... so I use a wetter lather to compensate.

Top Bottom