What's new

What do you guys think of these

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I'm thinking about buying one of them need to know if any are worth the dollar at a glance

Each appears to be in good condition. Are pins tight? Does blade center in the scales? What does the other side look like? If you get all good answers, you are looking at 5 pedestrian razors. OK for a beginner, but nothing exciting here.

They are all shave ready the solingen doesn't have much info on it except that but the rest are centered and snug with no play in the pins... or so they say and the prices range from $22-$36 1stThe solingen is marked at $22 2nd Shefdield at $33 3rd Jones mfg $36 4th Shumate at $28 5th Krusius at $32
hope that info helps you help me.

Those prices seem fair. Since all are shave ready and none is a collectors' piece, I would suggest #1, which, because of its round point, would probably be easiest for you to learn and get confident with.

They all look to be good razors and the price sounds fair to me. Lets put that another way. You will be unlikely to find a modern razor that has a blade of the same quality for double the price. You will probably need to get the edges sharpened but it would cost you the same even if you purchased a modern razor. The modern equivalent, shaving sharp will cost about $100.

The Sheffield should be the smoothest and both the Jones and Krusius look to have a bow spine and a smiling edge. That usually makes for a good sharp razor edge. Gimps on the bottom help when stropping and gimps on the top can help the blade from slipping in wet hands. You are lucky to have so much choice.

Each appears to be in good condition. Are pins tight? Does blade center in the scales? What does the other side look like? If you get all good answers, you are looking at 5 pedestrian razors. OK for a beginner, but nothing exciting here.

Eh? I love the understatedness of these razors. I don't see how fancy scales and/or engraving has anything to do with the experience of the posited user. As long as you get a good edge and it feels comfortable, that's the point isn't it? I'm a bit suspicious of a lot of the fancy straights I see out there.

Top Bottom