What's new

What do you do with soaps not likely to be used?

I am doing a clear out of some old soaps and came across one from the Belfast Beard Company, fantastic scent but the lather is dismal!

No matter what brush I use (synthetic/badger/boar/horse) or what method (Marco/wet brush/dry brush) the result is the same, lather is thin, airy and gives no cushion to the blade. It’s a pity because I really like the scent. Even Williams mug soap lathers Miles better!

It does however come in a nice metal tin which would be perfect for travel, but am wondering what to do with the actual soap itself? Bath soap, hand soap? Grate it down and mix with other left overs??

Any ideas are appreciated as always!

I found letting soaps sit open, one sometimes helps with scents I didn't like and two allowing them to dry out makes them work a little better as bath soap.

They make very nice hand soap.same with creams, just take a small bit of cream and rub your hands to lather.

If it smells strong and bad, gives irritation or gives you bad memory vibes, bin it or give it to someone who appreciates it.

Good lather no scent, nice base for frankensoap

Most frankensoap surprise by very good combinations of everything.

Nice scent bad lather either frankensoap it with previous soap or use it as an air freshener, bath soap etc.

And tip using paa cube unscented pre shave soap as an undercoat lifts many bad lather good scent soaps to glory again.

Attachments

• E806ABD0-1BDF-4762-99EE-51954AE6EF72.jpeg
    E806ABD0-1BDF-4762-99EE-51954AE6EF72.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I take those little left-over Arko ends and mix them with other soaps I won’t use. The frankensoaps sometimes turn out really well. I grate everything and mix it in a bowl, then press the resultant mixture into a tub. I also take old Col Conk soaps and add them for slickness. I find grating the Conk soaps works better than melting them in the microwave. The glycerin content helps with the lather quality and slickness. The results can be fun. One time I mixed Conk lime with a Williams puck and some left over Arko. The results were really fun, and better than tossing them.

But when I do have tubs of high quality soaps I just don’t like, I give them away. Right now I have a ton of soaps that I’ve used a few times, and will most likely never use again. I’ll need to figure out something to do with them. I am having a hard time putting used soaps on the BST.

Save it and grate it together with some other shaving soap remnants. Sometimes mediocre soaps improve when mixed with better soaps so they will lather better. Use in the shower as a last resort.

I take those little left-over Arko ends and mix them with other soaps I won’t use. The frankensoaps sometimes turn out really well. I grate everything and mix it in a bowl, then press the resultant mixture into a tub. I also take old Col Conk soaps and add them for slickness. I find grating the Conk soaps works better than melting them in the microwave. The glycerin content helps with the lather quality and slickness. The results can be fun. One time I mixed Conk lime with a Williams puck and some left over Arko. The results were really fun, and better than tossing them.

But when I do have tubs of high quality soaps I just don’t like, I give them away. Right now I have a ton of soaps that I’ve used a few times, and will most likely never use again. I’ll need to figure out something to do with them. I am having a hard time putting used soaps on the BST.
Simply pif them if they are willing to spend the shipping then they do not mind it is used. And the same applies if you do bst

lasta

Blade Biter
I used some as face wash.

I like silk shiny lather as much as the next guy. But my conclusion is that all soaps perform equal.

Thick, thin, dense, airy, shiny, dull, canned foam, no difference. If you like the scent, use it.

depends …usually I’ll shower soap it …hand wash with it…shave stick it (idk why but some soaps for me work as a shave stick but I can’t lather them for crap ) or put it away and try again at a later date …

Still not sure preshave works for me ?
But soaps I do not like performance I use on my face as a pre shave then rinse off before I use what I like theory being this is supposed to soften my beard ?

of course if they irritate etc... they are in a box to give away once I start selling razors if they want

I give them to my brother who uses a DE.
Sometimes I will blend it with another soap for my wife, she likes lavender soap, and the shaving soap gives it a huge boost of goodness.

Buy a few new boar brushes and use up the soap doing the break-in. That's what I'm doing with a tub of Tabac. Good soap but can't abide the scent.

Buy a few new boar brushes and use up the soap doing the break-in. That's what I'm doing with a tub of Tabac. Good soap but can't abide the scent.
I know I smell that stuff every time I go to my local shaving shop and I just think old aunt or old grandma or 60s-70s- dude in tab collar psychedelic shirt and white bell bottoms with platform shoes and the long nice hippie haircut :) hahahahahahah

Top Bottom