What's new

What do you do with OLD/DRY tobacco?

Newbie question for you... Is there any way or rejuvenating old pipe tobacco?
I have a few different partial pouches that have been sitting around for various lengths of time (one I've had for two years still in the store pouch) that have been sitting in a drawer. I know that wasting tobacco is a crime, especially at the prices that we pay up here for it, so before I chuck these pouches in the trash I wanted to ask if there was any hope, or should I chalk it up to needing to smoke more frequently,finishing a pouch before starting a new one, and starting to store the tobacco in mason jars.
Thanks in advance.

Put the tobacco in a bowl and cover with a not-dripping, but wet paper towel. Check on it in an hour or so, but it can take a few or more hours. Jar it up when the moisture feels right.

Store your smoke in a sealed container, such as a Mason jar. If it starts getting dry, put a tiny slice of apple or potato in the jar.

There are quite a few good techniques but you probably won't find all of them in one thread. This is a time when a search will produce more thorough results.

The apple/potato idea reportedly may result in mold.

I've seen folks suggest lightly spritzing it with bourbon or similar. That one sounds good to me.

I just had this lazy idea, which I imagine has been tried before: Mix it with some fresh tobacco that's too wet. Let that sit in a mason jar and soon enough it should be good.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Before I started using the damp paper towel I used these . Soak one of 'em in water for about 30 minutes and put one in the mason jar with the 'baccy until you get the moisture level you want. I ordered 3 of them with a tobacco order one time and they work great. The paper towel is cheaper and simpler though.

Last edited:
I spread mine out on a piece of newspaper and spritz it with water. Let it sit like that for an hour or so and mix it around with your hands and see it you can make it clump. If it won't hit it with some more water until it does. When you are satisfied, keep it in an air tight container.

Last edited:
I've put dried tobacco in a zip lock bag or Tupperware with a damp paper towel that I folded to fit inside. I just had the paper towel off to the side, not actually touching the tobacco. Once you seal it up, the tobacco will suck the moisture out of the paper towel.

In small tins or jars, I bend a fluffy pipe cleaner or two into the shape of the container opening and wet the pipe cleaner(s) and leave them in the container.

Great! Thanks for the help. I'll pick up some mason jars first and then I'll give some of these tricks a shot.

I'll take a wet paper towel that has been soaked in water and microwaved for 30 seconds to kill off bacteria & mold spores and then I drape it over a bowl with the tobacco in it. I put the everything (towel, tobacco, & bowl) into a large plastic bag and seal up. I check on it every 2-3 hours. Then I smoke it!

When I'm too impatient for the above I blend it with some Carter Hall and smoke it.

Distilled water sprayed on a paper towel. Works every time. Learned it here, and found it to be the fastest way to rehydrate dry baccy.

Toss the tobacco into a strainer (fine enough to where the tobacco cannot fall out). Hold the strainer over boiling water. The tobacco will soak the steam right up. Mix the tobacco with your hands (make sure the steam comes in contact with most of the tobacco). Pull it away and feel the tobacco, if its still dry, bring it over the pot for a few more seconds.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Toss the tobacco into a strainer (fine enough to where the tobacco cannot fall out). Hold the strainer over boiling water. The tobacco will soak the steam right up. Mix the tobacco with your hands (make sure the steam comes in contact with most of the tobacco). Pull it away and feel the tobacco, if its still dry, bring it over the pot for a few more seconds.

+1 My wife has a large pot that uses a fitted flat mesh screen. I boil distilled water, take it off the burner, and snap on the screen. Once the tobacco is spread onto the screen, it rejuvenates in minutes. I think I +1 you in the too moist thread also.

Maybe we are related? :)

+1 My wife has a large pot that uses a fitted flat mesh screen. I boil distilled water, take it off the burner, and snap on the screen. Once the tobacco is spread onto the screen, it rejuvenates in minutes. I think I +1 you in the too moist thread also.

Maybe we are related? :)

You know, I've always thought that I had a missing brother. Glad I finally found him!

Before I started using the damp paper towel I used these . Soak one of 'em in water for about 30 minutes and put one in the mason jar with the 'baccy until you get the moisture level you want. I ordered 3 of them with a tobacco order one time and they work great. The paper towel is cheaper and simpler though.

I use the pouch humidifiers also for small amounts like you would have in a pouch :) For larger amount the paper towel method.

For the heck of it, I sprayed a totally and crispy dry half tin of black House with a spritz of distilled water, then closed the tin for a half hour. It worked beautifully! Much faster than the overnight paper towel I had done in the past.

Top Bottom