What's new

What do you do with all the soaps?

Sure I have an acquiring addiction. This also applies to Guitars and basses, mixing consoles, tube amps, PA speakers, guns, trucks and several other things that are generally way more expensive.

I have done very little trading and it was higher end stuff that I traded for other higher end stuff I wanted more. As a general rule, when I dislike a soap or I just find myself not using it, I give it away.

Another consideration is how long it takes to finish up soap, even a small stick or soft soap (croap) ... or, even a 75mg cream like Speick. So even those with "just a few" soaps and creams I may have multiple years worth of shaves on hand. I have "only" 4 soaps and 3 creams. But, I have 8 Arko sticks and 3 Palmolive sticks. My puck of Tabac has many months of use left. On the cream side, only 1 of each but one of those is a large KMF bottle. Even though there are a few things I'd like to try I'm not going to until my stash is at least less than a year's supply.

I remember the old days of replacing a can of SC when it had a week or 2 left...

Shaving is one of the few things left I can afford to do. It doesn't require me having a car to go places and I can do it every day.
In past I bought guns and ammo but now I can't get to a range. $400 that'd buy a gun buys a lot of soaps.

Use your soaps up, one at a time. When you get to a number you can live with, buy another. This allows you to try more soaps quickly, without overstocking. Believe me, having less can be liberating. :001_cool:

Use your soaps up, one at a time. When you get to a number you can live with, buy another. This allows you to try more soaps quickly, without overstocking. Believe me, having less can be liberating. :001_cool:
Good advice. In the past I have used a soap until it was finished and it was nice to really get to know the soap and its capabilities. What you say is so true.

When I hit one or two soaps, I pick a vendor I like and buy two more. By buying them in pairs, it saves a little on shipping. I went nuts when Queen Charlotte Soaps had their going out of business sale, and bought four from them. Then a gentleman PIFed a puck of Williams and a tube of Godrej cream, so I have seven in stock. Most I've had in years. I'm set for this year, and perhaps beyond. :crazy:

currently have around 35-40 soaps/creams. I buy everything that seems to be put up. with the cost of soap vs cars (my old hobby) I can do this for numerous lifetimes. pif is a great way to help our hobby and give people joy. I recently found a cream that dazzles me, now that was fun. release the hounds.... I am off

In my opinion, there are definitely people on this and other shaving forums that really do have a "problem" in terms of soap acquisition/collecting/hoarding. There are guys who could shave every day until they die, and not even get to half of their soap collection. However, it's a "problem" to them only if they don't want to do it, or regret doing it, or literally can't control themselves and wish they could. Or if they don't have enough money for food/clothing/shelter/medications because they are spending too much on soap. Other than that, have at it if it floats your boat.

I have between 3 and 6 soaps at any one time, usually 4 or 5. This gives me variety. When I use a soap up, I buy another, so the stash always stays small. When it gets larger than 5, it's because people buy soaps for me for my birthday or for Christmas. I don't think I've ever purchased beyond 4 soaps.

Don't talk to me about razors, though.:001_rolle

When I hit one or two soaps, I pick a vendor I like and buy two more. By buying them in pairs, it saves a little on shipping. I went nuts when Queen Charlotte Soaps had their going out of business sale, and bought four from them. Then a gentleman PIFed a puck of Williams and a tube of Godrej cream, so I have seven in stock. Most I've had in years. I'm set for this year, and perhaps beyond. :crazy:

My reduction project was recently set back (by five pucks, close to a year's worth?) when I saw Queen Charlotte's going out of business sale...Back to the drawing board.

--Lee

Good advice. In the past I have used a soap until it was finished and it was nice to really get to know the soap and its capabilities. What you say is so true.
I can't do that. It'd be like eating pizza every day for months Striaght. I'd probably just quit shaving. I don't have to shave. Lived 27 years without shaving. I'm in it for the variety and experience. It's fun deciding what soap to use each day. Some get neglected but I do a week every so often for just them.

In my opinion, there are definitely people on this and other shaving forums that really do have a "problem" in terms of soap acquisition/collecting/hoarding. There are guys who could shave every day until they die, and not even get to half of their soap collection. However, it's a "problem" to them only if they don't want to do it, or regret doing it, or literally can't control themselves and wish they could. Or if they don't have enough money for food/clothing/shelter/medications because they are spending too much on soap. Other than that, have at it if it floats your boat.

I have between 3 and 6 soaps at any one time, usually 4 or 5. This gives me variety. When I use a soap up, I buy another, so the stash always stays small. When it gets larger than 5, it's because people buy soaps for me for my birthday or for Christmas. I don't think I've ever purchased beyond 4 soaps.

Don't talk to me about razors, though.:001_rolle

People that I'd say may have a problem are the ones with 50-100 different soaps but also have like 20 of each of those soaps stocked up. Mean at that point they basically have a store inventory.
I don't have any duplicates.

Here's an interesting question what's worse a guy with 30 different soaps, or a guy with 30 of the same soap?
Anyways I see guys with hundreds of soaps/creams maybe even some with thousands , I don't feel bad about my 30ish. I enjoy them all. I use some more then others but I use them all. Means my mdc rose or soapy bathman just banana, will last longer. Both are discontinued scents.

Of course we have an addiction!!! We are on a site meant for shaving! As for the extra soaps, just load em like you hate em!!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1) No on the SAD, but maybe on the BAD. I enjoy re-knotting vintage brushes.
2) I PIF or trade what I don't like or tired of. Only have 5 to 10 soaps and get rid of a soap prior
3) Probably an affluent society disorder.

Top Bottom