What's new

What Do You Dislike Most About SR Shaving?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Most gentleman enjoy SR shaving but there is probably something that you do not like as much. What is it for you?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Dislikes about SR shaving? Are you in the right forum?!? Maybe just having a bad day @rbscebu? It's ok. That happens...

My only "dislike" is that I cannot try every single SR ever made. Not enough days. Not enough dollars.
It was probably a poor choice of words. Instead of "dislike most" how about "like the least"?

It was probably a poor choice of words. Instead of "dislike most" how about "like the least"?
The learning curve. I used my Mappin & Webb near wedge today for the first time (excluding one test on a cheek when I first got it, which it failed). Yesterday I stropped it on chromium oxide, then on clean linen, then on leather. Today before the shave, another turn on the leather, and I had to pause and laugh about how smoothly it moved down my cheek. What a different the "chrox" made. First pass was great. Places I thought I might cut myself (under the nose, corners of mouth, bottom lip) went well.

I went across the grain on my neck (S to N) with no problems. I got bold and tried XTG on my face. Yeah, I definitely need more practice. My hand kept raising the razor to too sharp an angle. I didn't even try ATG since this was my first time with this razor and my second shave with a straight razor. So my answer is definitely the learning curve. The shave was great. I was surprised at how good the near wedge felt. The hollow ground I bought didn't feel this comfortable, but I will try it again of course, and over time it might not matter to me which I use.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
What like the least about SR shaving is waiting for stuff to arrive!

Currently waiting on two new SR's, a strop and a bottle of bay rum (my first). To day I received a bottle of Dickinson's Witch Hazel that I will try for the first time after tomorrow morning's shave.

What like the least about SR shaving is waiting for stuff to arrive!

Currently waiting on two new SR's, a strop and a bottle of bay rum (my first). To day I received a bottle of Dickinson's Witch Hazel that I will try for the first time after tomorrow morning's shave.
How many SRs do you have now? Is there a particular thing you prefer, like grind or brand or width or point, etc.?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
How many SRs do you have now? Is there a particular thing you prefer, like grind or brand or width or point, etc.?
After giving my Japanese matching seven-day set to my little brother, I am down to 36 SR's and two DE's (just to keep my hand in). My preferred grind is half to full hollow. No preference for brand although my favoured SR's are the Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 and the Titan ACRO T.H.70. That may soon change as I'm expecting to receive a Revisor 6-0035 within a few days. For blade size my preference is for 6/8 to 7/8. Most of my SR's are round points although I also enjoy the challenge and enjoyment of shaving with a Gold Dollar W59 that has a very pronounced Spanish point (not for the faint of heart) that I keep very pointed.

All my SR's have timber scales except for some of my cheaper Gold Dollars and a couple of my shavettes.

For brushes, I have about half a dozen of mainly badger but my preferred brush for the past year has been a cheap (USD 2) Chinese synthetic. My soaps are rather limited with only four choices. Here my preference is for the Arko stick face lathered with a close second being an old Palmolive shave stick.

Last edited:
That the best manufacturers are no longer producing razors.
This!

Also, I hate when you have a square point razor that is ultra good to go and while stropping the point gives your strop a little scratch or two. I'm not talking about a cut or anything of the sort. I'm talking about a scratch on the patina from a little too much pressure on the toe. Granted this is my fault, but it is what it is. My strops have character now! In 20 years, you won't notice it anyway.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I’ve been fortunate ordering some “barn finds” with some hidden treasures. More have come in unfixable by my abilities, though not due to any lack of effort and persistence. I’d love to be able to see, handle and touch more vintage razors, instead of just photos before taking on a project and investing money. I guess it’s the disappointment when I decide there’s no point in going further with something I was hoping to restore.

My least favorite aspect of sr shaving is finding time for upkeep and storage. I have over 30 of them and just haven't the time to hone some of my vintage ones. My favorite size straights are in the 7/8 range, although my smoothest and best is an 11/8. I have all the way down to a 4/8, a near mint Boker that I actually managed to shave with, but my beard is so coarse, I do much better with larger blades. I'd love to have a few days all to myself when I could mess with all my razors and get them to shave ready.

If I had to pick one thing that was a negative for ME …I’d have to say the addiction.
I used to hate to shave .I would shave maybe twice a week.It was a chore..Since I’ve started SR shaving I shave everyday.I am always looking for deals on used razors,hones,strops.I am even hooked on the sound (as well as the feel)Of the shave..So while I really enjoy it.It is definitely addicting.

The honing can be frustrating. Actually not the honing itself, but making the time to hone. Yes, I know this can be mitigated by stropping on the 0.1u diamond, but I still prefer to touch up every now and then.

The only thing I don't like is having the time to use them other then the weekend....mornings need to be quick for me to go running with the 2 dogs, get 3 kids ready for school, and then go to work.

Larry

The thing I hate is the bid snipers on eBay. For those of you that are not familiar with the term, it's people that use a software program to beat the best bid, at the last moment, so that you don't have time to up your bid.

I have been beaten several times by out of the blue, last second bids.

Honest bidding, in my book is to show interest in a razor, well in advance, by placing a bid early on. Other interested parties then have time to consider and raise if interested.

Seems like not all Straight Razor shavers are gentlemen after all.

The thing I hate is the bid snipers on eBay. For those of you that are not familiar with the term, it's people that use a software program to beat the best bid, at the last moment, so that you don't have time to up your bid.

I have been beaten several times by out of the blue, last second bids.

Honest bidding, in my book is to show interest in a razor, well in advance, by placing a bid early on. Other interested parties then have time to consider and raise if interested.

Seems like not all Straight Razor shavers are gentlemen after all.

I almost never bid on a straight razor at auction UNLESS there is no interest and no bidding on a straight razor that I want and its down to the last 10 min. and I need to make a decision...I usually go for the "buy it now" (if the price is good) or go for the "make an offer" (sometimes you can cover the cost of the shipping or save 10 to 15 U.S. dollars, or whatever the currency is by you) 95% of the time.

Larry

Top Bottom