What's new

What Do You Dislike Most About SR Shaving?

How many passes do you do?
1 pass, touch-ups if required. After the 3rd shave, I dropped my time from 90m to 1h and tried a couple more times, then stopped - this was 2013-2015. If there weren't any safety razors, I would use a SR but as-is, I see no need for straights.

Removing devil's spit is what I like least about straight-razor shaving.

I have my shaving time down to around 35 minutes for a two-pass plus touch-ups shave with a straight razor. I have mostly shaved with a DE shaving for the past six months. Initially, I thought it would make for a quicker shaving session, but I have found that it's pretty much the same, with air-blowing the DE blade and the parts of the razor taking as much time as stropping. Not as close and smooth though, and more prone to weepers.

30 minutes is a long shave for me. That's when I lather and use a hot towel on the face then do three passes with my Gillette Super Speed and end with a warm then cold rinse and apply witch hazel followed by aftershave.

With the straight razor (only three shaves so far), I have used Proraso preshave while I load the brush with soap and then lather up and do one or two passes with touch up. It takes about 20 minutes.

Honing and stropping. I don’t like the time it takes for these additional steps. So all my many nice straights are in storage now but soon it will be in a display case(s?) because they’re so pretty. For when I want a straight razor shave experience -I’ll use one if my many nice AC bladed razors. And I don’t care what anyone says, an AC blade (Feather/Schick) will always be sharper/smoother than a honed straight.

Last edited:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I use barber razors, both half-DE and AC. I'm pretty early in the journey. The biggest thing for me right now is time. I know I'm retired and Every Day is Saturday, but darnit some Saturdays get a little busy, y'know? I don't actually begrudge the time, I just notice that when I use a barber razor more of it goes by while I'm happily shaving. For a full-on barber razor head shave I generally budget an hour and a half from the time the brush goes in to soak until the cap goes back on the aftershave.

My minor peeve is that I have the habit from "safety" razor shaving to work in small areas at a time, which allows me to use a dry bare hand to stretch skin. I've been forcibly reminded about three times so far that a "dry bare hand" in the vicinity of a moving razor blade is Not A Good Idea. What gets me most is that I always have a damp washcloth handy for wiping up soap. All I need to do is remember to use it to put a wad of cloth between me and the razor.

O.H.

Honing/Refreshing/Stropping - I don't dislike the activities, it is just painful to do anything involving repeated motions due to a shoulder/arm/neck issue.

I like the prep, hot shower rubbing the beard, choosing a soap, the stropping ritual, building a great lather, the feel of the Badger brush like fine springy turf, the hot water and misty mirror, the sense of tradition, the smooth as silk shaves, 4 great passes, improving technique every day, the razor keeps on giving, the hot rinse, the cold rinse, the stinging opal-esque alum, choosing the aftershave, the cologne, feeling my chin all day, all the fun of honing and sharpening on different abrasives, learning to custom create an edge that’s perfect for your very own face, honing on rocks like a caveman on stones that formed long before terrestrial life appeared on earth, Oh wait… wrong thread!
What don’t I like?
Tricky…
Well there’s the buyers guilt.
There are so many beautiful razors and products out there.
Some of the customs you lads have are breathtaking.
I have a young family and that’s where my money goes, so I feel guilty if I buy myself anything even when I can afford to.
I’d love a nice custom or five, a great strop or two, some jnats to try, but even when business is good I can never seem to allow myself to spend anything on my hobby without guilt.

Soaps last too long.
Yes I know you can’t please some people but I never sling them until they’re empty and I’m always happy to see the bottom of the tub.

I like the prep, hot shower rubbing the beard, choosing a soap, the stropping ritual, building a great lather, the feel of the Badger brush like fine springy turf, the hot water and misty mirror, the sense of tradition, the smooth as silk shaves, 4 great passes,...
Four passes? All directions? I find it difficult (and I am still extremely new at SR shaving) to go sideways (east-west) with a straight razor.

You sound like a responsible man, taking care of family and needs rather than buying when you really shouldn't. No need to feel guilty if family and financial situations allow for buying a new...whatever.

Four passes? All directions? I find it difficult (and I am still extremely new at SR shaving) to go sideways (east-west) with a straight razor.

You sound like a responsible man, taking care of family and needs rather than buying when you really shouldn't. No need to feel guilty if family and financial situations allow for buying a new...whatever.
Yes, three standard passes, down, across, up, then a targeting pass where I single out all the little areas that don’t quite get hit by the three pass approach.
Across the grain from west to east (in the mirror) done with the right hand and east to west with the left is maybe my favourite pass and I could definitely stop there with a very clean shave but my fingers would know different. For a glass finish I need the full four passes.

I find it a bit hard to shave my chin and moustache area. My whiskers in those areas seem more dense and coarse and the blade just bounces off and I have to be really careful not to cut myself if I press the razor and cleaning those areas super closely is very hard for me.

The other thing that I don't like is that I will have to eventually learn how to hone my straights. The problem is that the chances of ruining my razors is very high, but that's the only way to learn how to do it and i'm kinda afraid to try it.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Curious about this 7-day Japanese set, how about some details?
Not what you may think. The details are covered here:

Not what you may think. The details are covered here:

Yeah, definitely not what I thought...

Top Bottom