What's new

What do you consider your # Sandalwood frag?

While they are not my favorite sandalwoods, Le Labo's Santal 33 and Diptyque's Tam Dao are good options for someone looking for a kinda inexpensive sandalwood fragrance.

My personal favorite is Ormonde Jayne Black Gold. Also worth checking out:

Diptyque Tam Dao
By Kilian Sacred Wood
Chanel Egoiste
Chanel Bois des Iles
GFT Sandalwood

Very popular for sure but I dislike both.
I enjoy Molecule 04 and Geo f Trumper sandalwood
Everything listed so far (including my two recommendations) contain lots of synthetics and/or lesser quality oils, with only a nod to quality sandalwood. If the OP wants a true sandalwood fragrance, I would be hard pressed to think of something more exceptional than Ensar Oud's Santal Royale. This is the real stuff!

I won’t blame you for thinking you’re smelling a musk tincture. Or an ambergris concoction. The fragrance is so ALIVE it sends any other scent you’ve got on you to the back seat. For sandalwood oil, that’s an impossibility!

Yet that’s exactly what you’ve got here, and why Santal Royale opens the door to a whole new love affair.

Even pure oud gets a go. Dab your favorite Borneo on your other wrist, and see what I mean. And it’s a soulful multifaceted woodiness that’s so stupidly addictive it might just ruin any and all other sandalwood oils for you. It sure has for me.

So how did this whole thing start?

You know the linearity of nearly all sandalwood oils you’ve tried to date? From the richest and creamiest and brightest of them, to the most common oils you still find on the market? One thing they all share is the unitone, linear fade phenomenon, with almost no development on the skin; zero horizontal complexity; no layeredness. Just a slow fade of one and the same note that just gets softer and softer as if fades away.

Santal Royale changes all that. It epitomizes nu-perfumery in sandalwood distillation every bit as much as the Sultan Series did in Oud. That means you’re getting a vibrant, dancing Sandal Perfume composed of a single ingredient. But unlike the Sultan Series, Santal Royale is not a co-distillation. It’s not a combination of different santalum species combined to create something complex and multifaceted. The single ingredient used: 30-40 year-old red Mysore heartwood of the highest caliber.

Give anybody whose nose you respect a swipe, and I bet you they won’t identify SR as single-source, straight-up Mysore sandalwood oil. “C’mon, there must be musk, or cypress, or something in here!”

The scent is so vibrant it almost verges on animalics; but unlike with oud, there’s zero barn, or indol, or ‘pastoral’ elements. What you get instead is a musky Heavenliness that will cajole and soothe your soul to the serenest space, and send you nodding off to a realm of Zen. I personally can’t sleep without it.

What it does to stop racing thoughts and quieten the mind is miraculous. Something no oud oil can ever pull off. Where oud mystifies and bedazzles, Santal pacifies and beautifies. The two are the opposing Sublime and Beautiful, as defined by Immanuel Kant long ago and far away. (I know it is not in good taste to be literate in our day and age; so I apologize in advance for that bit.)

Our distillery has run several rare Mysore distillations during our oud-centric career, and we’ve gotten our hands on top notch vintage Mysores along the way: purebred buttery, creamy ghee santals in all their glory. But Santal Royale takes what sandalwood oil can be to a whole new level.

If you got some of our 70’s Mysore granules, or a 70’s Mysore Bangle, you’ve smelled it. A striking, deep spicy redness that hits you when you smell the granules straight. Or in the vapor when you gently heat them.

An incense-note Oud oil is a distiller’s dream come true, and makes for the most fulfilling oud experience. But have you ever smelled it in sandalwood oil? Amidst the butter and the cream, have you ever caught whiff of that red musky santalol vapor of high quality heated Mysore? Chances are, No. Or only in a vague I-wish-I-could-get-more-of-that kind of way.

Santal Royale not only captures the scent of gently heated Mysore chips, but for the first time you actually experience the Mysore creaminess complete with its aboriginal Redness. The effulgence of buttery red Mysore incredibleness is so replete, I almost feel like adding a disclaimer: beware the funk!

You might have actually heard seasoned sandalwood aficios lament that one oil they smelled just once, many years back. A santal that packed an ‘almost animalic’ dimension that was out of this world, the likes of which they never smelled again. Santal Royale is that oil, and that oil’s grandfather, brought back to life.

I’ve been infatuated with Mysore Sandalwood for as long as I’ve been with Chinese Agarwood, and Santal Royale is where these two worlds meet. If you ever dreamt of smelling the Mysore Sandal equivalent of Oud Royale, your dream has just been granted.

Last edited:
Creed Bois du Santal
This is probably the best one ever to me. Discontinued, however.

Currently, my favorite is MPG Santal Noble. I doubt if it has any real Mysore sandalwood in it, though. The vintage version sure smelled like it did.

Molecule 03 is nice, too. Pure Javanol, a synthetic. The knock offs made of Javanol are pretty good in my experience, too.

Bought some off Etsy once from a small soap maker that was awesome. Think she called it Indian Sandalwood

This is probably the best one ever to me. Discontinued, however.

Currently, my favorite is MPG Santal Noble. I doubt if it has any real Mysore sandalwood in it, though. The vintage version sure smelled like it did.

Molecule 03 is nice, too. Pure Javanol, a synthetic. The knock offs made of Javanol are pretty good in my experience, too.

It's Molecule 04 you're thinking of. Very nice scent

It's Molecule 04 you're thinking of.

Yes, my bad. Molecule 03 is something of a vetiver. I like Molecule 03, too, but I do not think it has been as popular Molecule 04. All of the Molecule line is purely synthetic and proud to be that, which has its own charm to me. Javanol is not going to smell exactly like a true sandalwood, whether Mysore or other.

The current AOS Sandalwood and Cypress Intense Cologne is rather underrated or at least under talked about to my nose. The previous Sandalwood version was really nice, although not a Mysore.

Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood. This scent is the most comforting of sandalwoods. Citrus, soft floral and a tail end of rich, creamy mysore sandalwood. Been around for decades. Also fond of Caswell Massey Tricorn, a warm spicy and powdery sandalwood. If you want to smell like no one else, try these two.

we are gifted with many great sandalwood colognes!
here are my favorites...

sandalwood colognes.jpg

Top Bottom