What's new

What do you call those Slim Straight Razors?

W&B Trimmer.PNG
I've come across a few razors like my 3/8ths W&B (pic attached). It sharpened up great and gives a surprisingly good shave on its own. However, I've frequently referred to these sized straights as mustache trimmers, assuming that there is some class of straight razor that is just meant for cleaning up beards and mustaches.

I'm interested in whether there is any reality to this assumption. Did these tiny trimmers come as a compliment to a full size straight or meant to compliment one? When I put it between a couple 1" W&Bs, it's hard to believe that it's as large as 3/8ths. Any information would be appreciated.

The wisdom promulgated long ago on the forums was that they were for trimming the hairs on the neck. Barber's use mainly.

Take it with a grain of salt. If you like the shave from it, then use it that way.

Many roads to Rome.

Chris

On some European forums I’ve heard that some barbers used to use razors to actually cut hair and smaller razors were preferred.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I call them sports cars. I love small blades and I believe I only have two 6/8 blades. The fellow I buy from now refers to them as “Steve Razors”. I have many.

View attachment 1055211I've come across a few razors like my 3/8ths W&B (pic attached). It sharpened up great and gives a surprisingly good shave on its own. However, I've frequently referred to these sized straights as mustache trimmers, assuming that there is some class of straight razor that is just meant for cleaning up beards and mustaches.

I'm interested in whether there is any reality to this assumption. Did these tiny trimmers come as a compliment to a full size straight or meant to compliment one? When I put it between a couple 1" W&Bs, it's hard to believe that it's as large as 3/8ths. Any information would be appreciated.

In the few Barber razor drawers I have seen, I have never seen the 3/8 in any of them.
Most shaved patrons with 5/8 - 6/8 razors. I have seen a few 7/8 but mostly the mid size range.

My neighbor being a now retired Barber used to give me all the razors patrons and patron's wives gave to him and only one of them was a 3/8, most all others were 5/8.

I've always known them as just straight razors. Like everything people have different preferences. I've found them great for shaving under the nose.

Top Bottom