What's new

what do the number on Derby blades mead?

Hi,

On my Derby blades there number on both sides of the blade near the corners. 1, 2, 3 and 4. What do these mean?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi,

On my Derby blades there number on boht sides of the blade near the corners. 1, 2, 3 and 4. What do these mean?

Thanks.

Maybe it's like a fortune cookie and you should bet those numbers in your local lottery?

Actually, that question has been asked here before but I don't remember a convincing answer. (Mine above might actually be the best!) Perhaps bringing this up now will bring it to the attention of someone who really knows.

Or maybe there was a good answer I just missed and someone can repeat it here.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
You're supposed to mark off a number with a Sharpie marker every time you shave. After marking off all the numbers, throw the marker away and get a fountain pen. I think that's how it goes. :lol:

*cough* Link *cough*

I guess that (along with your "theory") is the most convincing answer but I note that "part of the manufacturing process" doesn't really say much. I mean, the whole blade is part of the manufacturing process. The real question becomes what part? Your theory sounds reasonable but not authoritative.

I guess that (along with your "theory") is the most convincing answer but I note that "part of the manufacturing process" doesn't really say much. I mean, the whole blade is part of the manufacturing process. The real question becomes what part? Your theory sounds reasonable but not authoritative.

Of course it's not an authorative theory, I don't work for Derby. :tongue:

Edit: Just to get pedantic for a moment, the blade is actually the result of the manufacturing process. To flesh out my theory for you, it's very easy to say "there was an issue with point #1 on that last batch" rather than saying "the top left corner". The thing is, I'm just a guy on the Internet so any expertise I may have is effectively nullified here.

Last edited:
Of course it's not an authorative theory, I don't work for Derby. :tongue:

Edit: Just to get pedantic for a moment, the blade is actually the result of the manufacturing process. To flesh out my theory for you, it's very easy to say "there was an issue with point #1 on that last batch" rather than saying "the top left corner". The thing is, I'm just a guy on the Internet so any expertise I may have is effectively nullified here.

Agree 100% -- I was just rattling your cage a little. Sorry! :thumbsup:

There are four people on the assembly line that sharpen 1/4 of the blade. 1 passes to 2 then to 3 then to 4. The do really fine filing on each segment then the 5 guy puts the wax paper around it....and so on.

Labor intensive.:wink:

all the above are lies and fabrications. in fact, the numbers, when properly decoded, indicate the exact date and time of the coming shavepocalypse. Be scared. Be prepared.

Top Bottom