What Do I Have Here?

IMG_3005.JPG
IMG_3006.JPG
IMG_3007.JPG
IMG_3008.JPG
IMG_3009.JPG
IMG_3010.JPG
IMG_3011.jpg

A friend gave me this stuff yesterday. She has had it for many years...no idea about how old it is.
Neither do I.
No markings at all on anything other than what you see. Strop is seemingly horsehide and in decent shape (BTW is there anything I can do to recondition it or otherwise get it back into shape?)
Razor is stamped "Marsyl Germany". That's it. Looks to be brass with a steel baseplate. Couple teeth are bent (can those be straightened?).
Any help...much appreciated.

Looks like an Old Type knock-off. There were any number of these, of varying quality.
Straightening a bent tooth is fraught with danger, but is not impossible.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
I agree with kingfisher on all counts. The strop reminds me of something that use to go across my backside when I crossed the line as a kid. So I guess that makes it pretty old. :eek2:

The razor is from a German travel set. It would have come in a small plain brass box. It's probably 80 to 100 years old. They're fairly common.

The strop is made of horse shell which many consider the best. You'll find more about it on the Straight razors forum.

The razor is from a German travel set. It would have come in a small plain brass box. It's probably 80 to 100 years old. They're fairly common.

The strop is made of horse shell which many consider the best. You'll find more about it on the Straight razors forum.

+1! Yes indeed! :thumbup: :thumbup:

To recondition the strop, start with cleaning the leather with saddle soap. Then use mink oil or neatsfoot oil (very sparingly) to recondition / remoisturize the leather. A little goes a long way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom