What's new

What do guys here think of Schick Injectors?

I know these devices don't get a whole lot of discussion here, but I was wondering, in general, what people think of them? Have you used them? Do you you like them? Are they worth checking out?

I know there are some people in wetshaving circles who think they are the end all and be all of shaving. The guy over at www.shaveblog.com talks about putting some other kind of blade in them. I think its a feather blade from a straight razor or something. I don't know if I would ever go to all that trouble, but I still woudn't mind trying an injector one day.

They are excellent, especially for beginners, as the angle is easy to master, and it feels familiar. I love mine, but I still go between it and my Tech, depending on my mood.

They shave great IMO, but I don't use them. I just don't enjoy them. I prefer DE's and the skill it takes to use a DE. That said, I have a bunch of them in storage and may incorporate them into the rotation someday.

I shaved with them, back in the day. Excellent shavers, probably easier to master than a DE. I think the DE's have the advantage because they give you two shaving edges per blade. Theoretically, that should cut your blade costs in half. Other than that, I never had any problem with the old Schicks, Push pull, click click.

Don't forget those four letters YMMV. I get smooth comfortable shaves from my old butterscotch Bakelite handle Injector. Love it!!

I have a first generation one do not remember the letter but loaded with Pella blades it is a great little shaver. I have heard great things about the adjustable but have never tried one

When I got my J-1 as part of a group, I hesitated to use it, and I wanted to hate it so I could get rid of it. But my first shave with it was great and very comfortable. It's now part of my permanent rotation, and I probably use around every second or third shave. It's a little faster than my DEs, too, so if I'm in more of a hurry, I'll grab the injector.

Most beginners find them much easier to use than a DE, since the correct blade angle is maintained by the razor, and not my the user. Therefore, there is little/no learning curve, and most can enjoy good results almost immediately. Secondly, the stroke is more natural for those currently using disposables or cartridge razors. You can still cut yourself if you're not careful, or if you don't keep the head plate flat on the face.

Some of the disadvantages of using an injector, opposed to a DE are:
  • Price - In general, the razors are more costly than DE's, and unless you're lucky, you'll have to buy used.
  • Blades - Choices are few, and the price per blade is more expensive than a DE
  • Fixed Angle - True, at first it's an advantage, but it doesn't offer the same flexibility as a DE

I use injectors, as well as DE's. IMO, if you're curious, simply add one to your collection, and give it a try.

-Pete

V

VR6ofpain

They shave great IMO, but I don't use them. I just don't enjoy them. I prefer DE's and the skill it takes to use a DE.
You make a good point.

I recently picked up a Schick I1 Injector (white handle) and threw in some generic ASR platinum chrome blades (sold through Longs). I got a great shave 4 days in a row. Though I have to admit going back to my slim adjustable and an Israeli blade, really made me appreciate the DE experience. There is nothing like the heft of the DE razor in your hand and the skill to use it. I found that I had a slight bit more stubble on my neck with todays DE shave but zero irritation (versus the BBS with the injector with some light irritation). I'll probably use the injector from time to time for the kick of such an easy shave (it is really hard to screw up). Think of a Mach3 shave, only closer and classier...that is an injector shave IMO.

Is an Injector a practical option is UK? I don't believe they were ever that popular here. They are difficult to find, and so are the blades.

I use my injector all the time. Love it. I'm still experimenting with blades but so far the best I have used are the older Schick brand blades made in the US. They're kinda hard to find though. The Schick brand made in Germany that come in a 7 count pack floating around Ebay nowadays are better than I expected. The jury is still out on the CVS brand blades but I'm leaning toward throwing them in the trash. :redface: I have yet to try the Ted Pellas or the Feather AC blades altered to fit the Injector.

I LOVE :001_tt1: injectors. I have and use a number of DE razors, but none of them gives me as close or as comfortable a shave with as little effort as I get from my injectors (as always, YMMV). I use the EMS/Pella Teflon-coated blades (which I believe are all sourced from ASR), which are readily available and inexpensive here in the U.S.

Longer handle injector models (from the "J" on) are closest in feel to "post-DE" razors like the Trac II and its progeny, and are therefore probably a bit easier to use for a newcomer. But all of the injector models, including the many bakelite short handle variants, give wonderful shaves. The bakelite handle injectors are readily available on eBay and generally seem to sell for a lot less than the longer handle models. -- Joe

I LOVE :001_tt1: injectors. I have and use a number of DE razors, but none of them gives me as close or as comfortable a shave with as little effort as I get from my injectors (as always, YMMV). I use the EMS/Pella Teflon-coated blades (which I believe are all sourced from ASR), which are readily available and inexpensive here in the U.S.

Longer handle injector models (from the "J" on) are closest in feel to "post-DE" razors like the Trac II and its progeny, and are therefore probably a bit easier to use for a newcomer. But all of the injector models, including the many bakelite short handle variants, give wonderful shaves. The bakelite handle injectors are readily available on eBay and generally seem to sell for a lot less than the longer handle models. -- Joe

Hi All,
Well, this is another classic example of YMMcertainly V. I find myself reading other member's views on different things such as razors and blades, and certainly scents, and constantly am reminded how opinions can vary so widely.
First of all, no offense to you at all, Joe. People who've been here a while know these are all personal opinions, and not any sort of test to pass/fail. Just as a comparison, let me mention my views of blades and razors. We're both right, of course.
I also get a GREAT shave from my injectors, but the Pella's would sometimes give me a rough ride for the first 1-2 shaves. The next 4-5 shaves were fine, but I didn't want to waste any days, if that makes sense. Haven't used those in a long time now. If I had to use those now, I'd certainly consider corking em. I like the platinum/chrome personnas that are available through Appleton Barber Supply, 7@ $2.75, and also had good luck with 'Made in Germany' schick blades. Heh, keep in mind that YMMV, of course. I just received some US made schicks and can't comment on em yet. I'd also mention that the best luck so far has been using twin blades from the 70's made by personna. Those have also gotten mixed reviews in the past, which makes sense. Luckily, (and through numerous trials of other blades), I find they work very well for me.
My experience with injectors has been quite different than Joe's also. I keep reading excellent results (such as above) when members use those earlier bakelite 'E' and 'G' models. Now THOSE little guys almost made me stop using an injector. Actually I DID stop for a month or so because they were too aggressive for me, plus the handle was uncomfortable. Took me a while to find the right (later) model and blade to go with it. Those shorty's were my first injectors and I didn't know any better. I take my hat off to anyone who gets a BBS and irritation free shave with those things. I'd definitely recommend a later model ('J' or later) injector to start with, but that's just me being me.
Once again Joe, I just thought it would be interesting to see side by side how things affect us so differently. Heh........scents are certainly another, which is why anyone curious about what something smells like will NEVER truly know until they smell the stuff with their very own sniffer.
Martin.

I used one in college in 1967.
We all did a one pass shave then ( I did to some touch ups with regular soap), and I had no idea what I had. Don't know what the fate of that individual razor may have been. Went into the Army. May have ended up as a display razor in my foot locker for inspections. I recall using a Gillette DE in Viet Nam. In fact, the first rounds I heard coming over my head where while I was shaving in the morning after coming off radio watch.

Love 'em. Need to have at least one in the rotation and I've got three-no adjustable though so I can't speak to that. They shave differently than the DEs so learn the razor before you get up to speed with one because they can leave you a bit bloody if you aren't careful (at least that was my first experience).
All three of mine are the bakelite beauties including one navy blue silver head courtesy of Don. I have a yellow gold head in the case and the other is a clear amber gold head. I use the ASR blades because they are readily available in my area.

I believe there are Schick Injector blades on the shelf of a store near where I live. So when I get my injector handles maybe I will buy them. I got a few of them coming. I think - but am not certain - that they are all from the 40s onward. I think they all carry the Eversharp name.

I believe there are Schick Injector blades on the shelf of a store near where I live. So when I get my injector handles maybe I will buy them. I got a few of them coming. I think - but am not certain - that they are all from the 40s onward. I think they all carry the Eversharp name.

If they all carry the Eversharp name they will be early Schicks as opposed to latter models. I don't recall when they dropped that designation but I want to say it wasn't until the fifties but don't hold me to that.
FWIW, I was in an antiques mall the other day and a guy was trying to sell a navy blue silver head uncased for $35.00! :eek: Looks like the DE popularity is filtering outside our closed circle. Not necessarily a good thing where the dealers are concerned.

Top Bottom