What's new

What do/did other countries use before commercial shaving?

Well,

Japan has their kamisoris, england - france - germany - usa seem to have used straights and DEs which are widely available and still in production - what did some other countries use and where can we get some of their stuff?

China?

Australia?

Africa/egypt and such?

Korea

Jamaica?

Native americans?

Eskimos?

What did they use?

How do we get some of their shaving stuff?
:thumbup:

Everyone at one time used any impliment that would hold a sharp edge,be it stone,obsidian flint etc,copper, bronze,steel,clamshells,the list is endless.

Everyone at one time used any impliment that would hold a sharp edge,be it stone,obsidian flint etc,copper, bronze,steel,clamshells,the list is endless.

Yes, but did they all look like the usual straight razor? It would have had to hold a sharp edge, but what exactly did they use until 200 years ago?

Am certain even the Romans of 2000 yrs ago used razors that resembled str8s today, not sure there would be much variance from other people or cultures.
Same would hold true for say a knife.
What I would like to know is, how many men even shaved 200 + yrs ago?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Australia is a fairly recent country and would have most of the migrants using imported straights from England... Previous to that, unknown if any shaving was involved...

As for Eskimos, why would they shave? It's quite cold, even in the summer...

Legion

Staff member
I believe full blood native north and south American Indians do not grow facial hair. Is that correct?

Early Australian settlers used blades mostly imported from Sheffield.

Australia is a fairly recent country and would have most of the migrants using imported straights from England... Previous to that, unknown if any shaving was involved...

Ah ok

As for Eskimos, why would they shave? It's quite cold, even in the summer...

true that...

what about china? and the african continent in general? They are quite ancient..what did the use until shaving supplies became commercially available internationally?

I believe full blood native north and south American Indians do not grow facial hair. Is that correct?

No.
North American native people grow facial hair. Usually considerably less than western europeans, though, and it varies from tribe to tribe.

They used to most often pluck it or less often shave it with a sharp implement. It was socially unacceptable in many tribes to have facial hair.
More than a few Inuit (eskimos) have/had moustaches but full beards are/were rare.

It's been theorized that Asian heredity (sparser hair) started it off. Then evolution played a part in that hairless males were supposedly more attractive to females. It's also been theorized that diet played a role in the lack of body and facial hair.

An ancient technique in pre-industrial times, rarely described, was to plug the ears with mud, close the eyes and mouth tightly and while pinching the nose inhaling as strongly as possible effectively sucking the whiskers back into the skin and into the mouth where they were then bitten off a swallowed. This resulted in an amazing BBS shave- really, you have to believe this-really.:tongue_sm:blink:

Australia would probably have had English-imported straight-razors. China, I can't say. I think cheap, disposable DE razors were popular, though, as my father and uncle, who were children of the 50s and 30s respectively, remember using them when they first started to shave.

Makes you wonder why they would do it? Lacking elegant and efficient tools, what would drive people to shave their face?

Irritation, hygiene and individuality, I imagine.

That and the fact that hairiness was so common, shaving off your beard was probably a way to get some cavechick action back in the old days...

Apparently my great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great grandfather used to shave with one of these.

proxy.php

Luckily they hadn't invented aftershave or the sting would have been a killer.

:biggrin1:

Top Bottom