What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Date
365 daily shaves
154/365​
GRUYERE
154/363​
GRUME June
02/29​
SOTMC
03/30​
High Efficiency June
03/30​

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95 SCLGillette PlatinumOmega Roma
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Haslinger
Sandelholz

Cold splash
Aftershave
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality
8/10 (~20 m)7.5/10 (multiple weepers)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (BBS-)9/10 (Buttery smooth)

Notes to these shaves:

Returning to my number 1 for another check in with the dark blue Gillette Platinums. So far these blades have been semi-ok which is counterintuitive to all the record I see here so I want to check (in with) this blade again. Still semi-ok. Nice end result though.

For extended notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

A sunny Saturday morning. The last few nights have been a bit cold, but this morning looks like someone's told the weather it's meant to be June.

Boker Celebrated Wengewood 6/8 square point straight razor
Nom Carl synthetic brush
Arran Lochranza soap
Denim Original aftershave

One of the earlier acquisitions (2020) and the first time I set out to get a Nice Razor rather than something to learn the basics. Still has the feel that something good is about to happen when I take it out of the box.

Screenshot from 2023-06-03 09-00-26.png

Good stuff. I'm doing that face rubbing thing I'm sure a lot of us get up to when they think no one's looking or when they don't care who is. I keep telling myself the triangular section handle on the brush should feel weird, but it just seems to fit. The soap is in the resin bowl that looks like a rock from the beach, which is either a nice touch or a clever way to milk the tourists.

The razor gave me a nudge under the nose to warn against getting cocky (which, to be fair, I was), but it didn't bite and nothing fell off or out of the face. Let's say a "9" today.

GRUME June – Day 3
Bobby B’s Daily Shave Report
03 June 2023

1685790294628.jpeg
PERMANENT SHAVE GEAR
  • Prep: Cube 2.0 Menthol with cold rain water
  • Blade: BIC Chrome Platinum Blade #18 of 100 Shave #4
  • Razor: King C. Gillette
  • Cream: Proraso Green using very hot rain water
  • Brushes: Noble Otter for prep and lathering
  • Bowls: Timeless Blue bowls for Cube 2.0 prep & Lathering
  • A/S: Proraso Green
Passes: WTG, ATG, buffing as required
Cleanup: Rinsed & dried face, Gentleman Jack alum block, Witch Hazel, A/S.
Comments: Following a Cube 2.0 soak-in prep, this morning’s shave yielded no nicks or weepers, but, a fair amount of stubble. The blade seemed to be dragging. If no improvement tomorrow, ‘bank’ it.
Today’s Rating: 9.0 DFS

Pre-Shave: Grooming Dept Unscented Pre-Shave
Soap: A little shaving stick from Turkey that smells like Ivory soap
Brush: Shavemac 24mm 2 band
Razors: Timeless Ti .95 SB
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium(7)
Post-Shave: ETHOS Succès Skin Food Splash
Rating: Good enough - No picture today as I don't want any photographic evidence that I used this soap nor will I speak its name. I will say this though, it sure lathers like nobody's business.

Pre-Shave: Grooming Dept Unscented Pre-Shave
Soap: A little shaving stick from Turkey that smells like Ivory soap
Brush: Shavemac 24mm 2 band
Razors: Timeless Ti .95 SB
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium(7)
Post-Shave: ETHOS Succès Skin Food Splash
Rating: Good enough - No picture today as I don't want any photographic evidence that I used this soap nor will I speak its name. I will say this though, it sure lathers like nobody's business.
Say my name!!!! ARKO!!!

Pre shave: Poraso sensitive pre shave cream
Razor: unbranded misaligned Amazon razor
Blade: Lord Cool (1st day)
Brush: Semogue 1800
Soap: Chiseled Face Santa Paula
AS: Thayers coconut witch hazel, Epsilon Blue
Rating: 8.5, good shave, poor blade alignment produced two weepers. Next shave this blade goes in something else, razor goes in junk box.

June 3

Razor: Gillette Super Speed (1957)
Blade: Perma-Sharp Super (3)
Brush: Omega Jade premium boar
P/S: PAA Cube (as stick)
Soap: Cella Extra Extra Bio
A/S: Osma alum block
A/S: Tuff Green splash (unscented) + Osage Rub

DFS+

I got a very calm, peaceful shave on autopilot with this setup.

SV Saturday

1685799111184.png

P/S: PAA Cube
Razor: Lambda Athena
Blade: Gillette Super Stainless (4)
Brush: SV LE 30mm
Soap: SV 70th
A/S: SV 70th

9/10

I'm growing to love SV Saturdays :) Everything today was fantastic other than I was a bit rushed because I spent too much time playing with the white plastic sheet for this photo, lol.

Have a fantastic weekend!

Razor: Gillette Black Handle SuperSpeed
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic - German (11)
Brush: EverReady 100T handle with synthetic knot
Soap: Mike's Peppermint & Rosemary
Aftershave: Speick
Rating: 9.9/10 - A quick one-pass shave. No that I am on summer break, there's going to be a lot of those. :)

Preshave: Hot shower
Soap/Shave cream: Tabac puck
Brush: Maggard 24mm Synthetic Marble Handle
Razor: 1952 Gillette Super Speed
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Post shave: Gillette Gel
Rating: 9.5/10

Yet another wonderful shave. I have a wedding to attend tonight and wanted a close but smooth one. It's gonna be an outdoor wedding and it's in the 90's here. 🥵
This is a blade I've tried before without much luck. Today it was okay.

proxy.php

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD. Saturday, June 3rd 2023

Razor : Razorock Game Changer.84 316 SS- Mfg 2018>, excellent machining and finish QC, tame mid range, I have always received decent shaves with my GC.84 but with a Kai SS extra wide it just makes my shaving more enjoyable to reach a nice level of closeness IMO. Had a close no issues shave this morning and that is all a person requires IMO.
Blade : Kai SS extra wide (6)- sharp & smooth with excellent longevity. They are pricier than other blades but worth having a few tucks for those great mild razors that need a bump in efficentcy and some extra blade feel.
Soap : Williams mug soap- interesting soap with a rich history in shaving world for millions of folks, the soap formula was changed from old to new and the brand has changed hands also and it is not as rich and wonderful as the old formula according to folks who still use both formulated soaps.
Williams mug soap could of improved their soap but sat on their hands and did nothing and now the Brand is done for now, hopefully they will bring out a new improved formula down the road that they could of easily accomplished(management problems who where not Intune with the changing times IMO). I like to use this soap every once in a while, Mr. Williams "founder" must be turning in ..........! Folks ,must of found better cheaper soap some where else is my guess! Williams works well with a thicker pastier loaded brush on a wet face is my finding and just add a little water to brush or use a water mister if needed.
Brush : Yaqi "Ever helpful" 22mm 2band badger, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, excellent splay scrubber + great lather painter. This brush is a excellent splay scrubber because of a shorter loft and still has a reasonable soft face feel.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Proraso green eucalyptus with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : 1-10 dial - Copy (2)3 template 9.5.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: excellent shave with my RR GC.84 with a Kai extra wide blade.
SOTD May June 3 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom