What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

9F24CF59-89C5-40E4-95CA-11F4F068DB45.jpeg

Timeless Ti 95
German Wilkinson
PAA Peregrino
Proraso
Nivea
Pinaud Clubman

💯 😎

• RazoRock SS.95 SB LUPO.
• Perma-Sharp blade (5).
• Mitchell’s Wool Fat Soap.
• Shave Nation Finest Badger.
• Proraso after shave balm on face.
• Proraso after shave lotion back of neck and chest.
• Thayers Witch Hazel Splash to face.
• Philips Norelco AXE trimmer for eye brows, ear, and nose pesky hairs.
• Hot shower with some Shave Nation Pre-Shave oil…..Not pictured.

Great to be back in the den this morning with my RazoRock and Perma Sharp blade (5). The fifth shave on this blade and no signs of slowing down! Still loving the Wool Fat soap and finishing with Proraso products. Had to include some clean up with the Philips Norelco trimmer. Judge is in a generous mood this rainy Monday morning by awarding a 10. Have a great week all!
C48F6A8F-2E07-40E2-867F-8DD6487CFBF8.jpeg
7E3514D8-4F52-4994-A275-3861A59C5955.jpeg

Last edited:
Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Dr Shea Black Soap
- Castle Forbes Pre-shave Balm
- Stirling Deep Blue Sea Shaving Soap (sample)

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Osma Alum Block
- The Goodfellas Smile Witch Hazel and Cucumber Facial Toner
- Niod Skin Serums
- L'Occitane Cade After-shave Balm
- Jack Black Double-Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- Gillette Flat Bottom Tech on a Razorock UFO handle
- Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (Black) (4)
- Antica Barbieria Colla Boar
- Steve Woodhead Pottery Suribachi Lather Scuttle

Fragrance for the day
- L'Occitan by L'Occitane EDT

Shave Rating: 9/10
Shaving with the Sharp Star blade in my slant before I run through all of the other Mostochlegmash blades (Rapira, Ladas, Voskhod). I also have a Rapira razor that I'll try them out on afterwards (although it doesn't seem like the best quality razor!). In the slant it's a sharp and very smooth blade, no irritation or alum feedback. A close shave even with an extra days growth to mow down.

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Seaforth Black Watch Bath Soap, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Polished Timeless Ti .68SB with Polished Crown Handle
Blade: Astra SP (2)
Soap/Cream: Seaforth Black Watch
Bowl: Georgetown Pottery Travel Shave Bowl
Brush: Semogue SOC Taj Handle Boar
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Unscented Post Shave Balm, Seaforth Black Watch AS
Rating: 10/10 Excellent efficient 3 pass BBS shave with one touch up, no weepers, cuts or irritation. Very nice lather, good cushion and residual slickness. Overall an outstanding shave!

Muhle R89, Muhle silvertip badger brush + fresh Nacet blade.

Finally got my hands on the famous Stirling sharp dressed man. Let me tell you something, this is a classic scent! I know that it is a dub of Creed green irish tweet which Cary Grant designed and i can just picture that guys like Grant or Eastwood (who also was a user of GIT) wore this classic scent. Both soap and aftershave smell fabulous and work beautifully, just like every Stirling product. This scent is a heavyweight, and does go in the same vein of old spice and tabac when it comes to the classic vibe.

10/10

2C511BD4-DFEE-4DAC-8E25-96D8C00130AD.jpeg

Great Monday morning shave with:
  • 1935-38 Schick E2 injector
  • Vintage Personna super stainless (1)
  • Fendrihan synthetic brush
  • Daveli Farms Sheep Fat Orange Cedarwood and Oakmoss
  • Cella Extra Extra Bio after shave balm
PXL_20221024_135403025.jpg

This blade is SHARP and gave a super smooth and very close shave. I had a couple random weepers without ever feeling a thing. I probably overdid the buffing on some of the spots on my neck. The soap is amazing. I really like the thick nourishment of the Cella balm too. Overall, I rate today as a 9/10 with a ding for the painless minor weepers and slight irritation on my neck (operator error). This particular injector has a cool party trick; the retention spring swivels open to allow you to clean the inner surfaces of the head!

PXL_20221023_181923421.jpg

I love this feature, but I think I can understand why Schick locked this spring in place fairly early on in the production of these E and G-type injectors. When you open the head, the blade is completely loose, which might turn off the buyers who loved the selling point of injectors, you don't have to touch the blade.

Have a great week everyone! I need to get back to work 😜

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Trick or Treet week, MMMonday, Daily Double, OCtober 24th 2022.

Razor : Gillette New long comb(Canadian variant) with a Yaqi orange brass chromed handle I won in a sale raffle, Mfg 1930's when Gillette's new blade design was introduced, mid range, works ok with no drama. This type of carbon blade was used when the first New Gillette razors where first introduced. Worked OK with no drama.
Razor: Gem Micromatic OC button less- Mfg 1930-32 for this model, upper mid range, built to last, mainly used today for my touch ups to see how my 1st experience with a carbon blade would be like. Very enjoyable different shave experience today.
Blade : Treet carbon blade(1) 1st use of a DE carbon blade in 5 years of shaving, sharp & smooth. Not sure on longevity yet.
Treet was part of the umbrella of companies that was part of the American Safety Razor Corporation and was sold off many years later because of market blade changes in the Western world.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE, very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest blade to handle.
Soap : Speick stick- nice mild spicy scent with excellent lather qualities. I like this soap slightly better than my Tabac soap . Great enjoyable thick rich excellent lather protection.
Brush : Yaqi "Red Zebra" 26mm snow leopard synthetic knot :001_wub:, excellent lather generator, luxury heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG(carbon) + ATG(carbon) + pickups (Gem Stainless).
Post shave : Razorock King Louis AS with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :9.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my Gillette New long comb + MMOC with a carbon Treet blade + a coated Gem blade.
SOTD October 24 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

1666632435961.png

Monday shave

Warm water used throughout the shave
Tabac Original shave soap
Cremo (tiny) horse hair brush
Gillette Fat Handle Tech (triangular holes in the base plate)
Astra Superior Platinum blade (new)
Pinaud Clubman aftershave

This was a three pass shave; WTG, XTG, ATG with some buffing.
This was a first shave with an ancient Fat Handle Tech. It was found to be a very mild razor, no weepers, nicks, cuts or decapitation.
Any info that you Gillette experts can offer about the age of this razor would be appreciated.
The Tech did a good job, amazing for a razor that was produced so long ago.

Rating: 9.85/10

View attachment 1544913

Monday shave

Warm water used throughout the shave
Tabac Original shave soap
Cremo (tiny) horse hair brush
Gillette Fat Handle Tech (triangular holes in the base plate)
Astra Superior Platinum blade (new)
Pinaud Clubman aftershave

This was a three pass shave; WTG, XTG, ATG with some buffing.
This was a first shave with an ancient Fat Handle Tech. It was found to be a very mild razor, no weepers, nicks, cuts or decapitation.
Any info that you Gillette experts can offer about the age of this razor would be appreciated.
The Tech did a good job, amazing for a razor that was produced so long ago.

Rating: 9.85/10
Yours looks like a 1938-45 Fat handled Tech that may have been a relatively rare black handled variant with a gold plated collar and baseplate. I can't quite make out whether the cap is also gold colored or black. During WWII, many of the Techs had a black finish applied to the handle. Many also had bakelite caps and handles instead of metal ones. The caps and baseplates (guard) were made of whatever Gillette could get its hands on (brass, aluminum, steel). Brass was precious during WWII because it was needed for shell casings (yikes). I have one with a baseplate stamped "S" (I believe signifying "steel").

Supplementing Mitch @mgweatherly - the photo is not fully clear to me but it appears you have triangular slots which would indicate this is a pre war Tech. However, as Mitch already said the golden plates are usually dubbed Gold Tech but they have different handles. Unless of course your fat handle has black plating leftovers. A full Gold Tech would also require a gold plated fat handle.

So period wise you are looking at 1938-1945.

Perhaps you can share more pictures? (which is always a good thing!!)

Guido

Last edited:
20221023_085042.jpg

Razor: Treet Baton Handle, black with red cap
Blade: Pal Carbon Steel Gem-type blade
Brush: Jayaruh #429 White Rook in two-band badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Seaforth! Sea Spiced Lime
Aftershave: Shannon's 25th Street Lime splash
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Rating Ten.

PXL_20221024_175247602.jpg

Razor: Gillette Super Speed 1956
Blade: Bic Chrome Platinum
Brush: PAA Peregrino G5B
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements

Soap: Stirling Iced Pineapple 🍍
Pre shave: Hot shower 🚿
Aftershave: Stirling Glacial Iced Pineapple 🍍

Rating: 9/10 DFS+

Super chill shave. Feels good, smells great.
Still having trouble getting my neck fully cleaned up to BBS but other than that a perfect shave.

Splashing on the Glacial Iced Pineapple 🍍 AS is always surprising and delightful!

October 24th, a good shave to start the week, but ended up with one weeper and some stinging, so far from perfect; two passes with some cleanup and stretching yielded a 9+/10 result for closeness:

Razor: RR Eco- 1/2 DE blade razor
Blade: Eddison- Israeli- part of the Discovery Adventure three-blade challenge
Lather: MdC Agrumes- always great lather
Brush: Zenith 506 unbleached boar- after using this brush for a while, it still has a bit of boar smell to it, eventually it should fade completely
Post: cool rinse, then some WH, then some older Speick AS splash, which always seems to treat me well :)

Have a wonderful week!

PXL_20221024_175214462.PORTRAIT_2.jpg

Supplementing Mitch @mgweatherly - the photo is not fully clear to me but it appears you have triangular slots which would indicate this is a pre war Tech. However, as Mitch already said the golden plates are usually dubbed Gold Tech but they have different handles. Unless of course your fat handle has black plating leftovers. A full Gold Tech would also require a gold plated fat handle.

So period wise you are looking at 1938-1945.

Perhaps you can share more pictures? (which is always a good thing!!)

Guido
Here are some more pics. I don't think the handle was black, it has an abundance of patina, though. The cap appears to be copper or an alloy with a good amount of copper.
It may be old and crusty looking, but it shaves very well.

1666635979118.png

1666636034271.png

1666636084068.png

Yeah that might very well be a 1940 Gold Tech resembling this one: https://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Tech/1940 Gold Tech tweed grained case.JPG

And depending on your personal preference you either embrace the patina or buff it somewhat back to former glory.

The cap is a different story. I have seen Techs being offered with similar caps, but references to copper are less clearly stated. It is possible the cap was from a donor razor - but perhaps Mitch @mgweatherly has better information than I do (which I assume he has by the way seeing as that his vintage collection is WAY bigger than mine!).

Enjoy your shave!

Guido

Top Bottom