What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Todays shave

Merkur 39c Sledgehammer with the Astra blade
GFT Violet cream. GFT Sandalwood skin food
Alum block
WXA/WAX passes
GFT Paisley cologne.

Wow! What a shave today! Was really good except the blade wasn’t quite as good as the Nacet but still highly accomplished. Some very minor pulling was evident but nothing serious. The Sledgehammer worked like a charm after deep cleaning it!

The 3 passes gave a really good BBS shave. The cream is superb along with the skin food.

First time I applied cologne. It has a really nice manly scent that isn’t too overpowering.

Great shave all round.

Score.

Blade sharpness 9/10
Blade ecomfort 9/10
Cream quality 10/10
Shave quality 10/10
Cologne opinion: Very nice.

Overall 9/10

Final thoughts.

The Astra blade still is very good but the Nacet ever so slightly remains in the lead. Still very happy with the results!

Jason.

Pre-Shave: Grooming Dept Moisturizing Pre-shave
Soap: Grooming Dept Sandalwood Nobile
Brush: Morris & Forndran L7
Razor: ATT Windsor SSRH base
Blade: BIC Chrome Platinum(2)
Post-Shave: ETHOS Mysore Santal Skin Food Splash
Rating: 10/10 BBS
20221018SOTD.jpg

Because I shaved twice yesterday, I didn't have much to shave today. But that didn't stop me. ;) I was so anxious to clean up the little bitty stubble, I couldn't even wait for the Gillette Heritage that's out for delivery or shower first.

Anyway, restored (BRG) Gillette Old Type with the Voskhod blade I've been using for the last 2-3 days in other razors, Omega 10065 brush, PdP #63 soap. Having watched the new Top Gun movie over the weekend, I felt the need for speed! Rinsed my face, ran the brush under the faucet for a few moments and massaged it like I've seen in Italian barber videos. Went straight to the puck and held it sideways over the CC copper bowl. Inside of two minutes I was lathering my face and picked up the glorious Old Type. I have to remember to keep a light touch with that razor and run it at a shallower angle than my muscle memory likes. What do you guys call it, "riding the cap"? Anyway, the usual three passes and some touch-up. I've got one weird spot under my right side chin where the beard has about an inch and a half area that grows west to east where most of the rest of my neck is more north/south. That spot is a little tougher with the Old Type compared to my other razors but got it done.

Finished with a blend of Neutrogena Hydro Boost gel and T&H Trafalgar aftershave balm (intoxicating scent). The real question is, what will I do later after the Gillette Heritage is delivered??? ;)
I'll look for the report of your afternoon shave ;)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, OCtober 18th 2022

Razor : Yaqi Beast #2-Concockted 2022>, upper mid range. my concoction of different Yaqi head parts(Flipside Dual base plate + mellon top cap) to makes a aggressive upper mid range, great audio feedback(sizzling sound), no blade over hang on bottom plate like Beast #1 makes for no nicking ear lopes. The razor is more aggressive on the safety bar side than the open comb side slightly. Nice close shave with do real drama. Light touch with steep angle works for myself. I like OC on the chin area for great results.
Blade : Gillette 7oClock SP black(1) sharp & Smoooth with reasonable longevity. Top 5 tier blades for myself.
Soap : Razorock XXX, nice unique clean scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "black marble" 24mm silvertip, this brush has the largest bloom of any brush I own and very pleasurable to use, excellent lather generator, heavenly pillow like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + great lather painter. Bit of a lather hog but enjoy using it & observing this bloom it gives:laugh:. Still easy to get under the nose area using the edges of the brush.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock XXX aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 small chin blemish weeper=:a17: excellent shave with my Yaqi Beast #2 with a Gillette 7oClock SP blade.
SOTD October 18 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Tuesday morning Connaught homage on one-day's growth:
  • Kai Gold-S disposable single edge (1)
  • WCS Silvertip Badger
  • Extro Tobacco
  • Cella Extra Extra Bio after shave balm
PXL_20221018_130601464.jpg

Everything but the brush came from my recent 60 GBP purchase from Connaught. The disposable Kai single edge razors just made me giggle when I saw them, so I put them in my cart. At worst, I thought they would be a decent travel option when I was going to carry my bag onto the plane. This razor comes in at an impossibly light weight of 5 grams 🪶. It feels like nothing in your hand.

I rate the shave only 7.5/10. There were a number of things conspiring against this shave being a good one. First, I shaved yesterday with a very aggressive (to me) MMOC, which left my face feeling just a little upset.

Second, I did not lather this soap very well, I over hydrated it. I scraped a bit out of the container and put it in a bowl. It's got a very gooey feeling and did not seem to want to dissolve into lather. Because of impatience and inexperience, I added too much water, which lead to an explosion of thin lather in my bowl. I tried to load as much as I could onto my face for the shave, but it was obviously too thin. Interestingly, even though the lather exploded, there was still a small bit of undissolved soap left clinging to my bowl in the "corner." I'll try a different method next time and be more patient. Any tips on using this soap would be welcomed. I definitely do not consider today's use to be representative.

I stopped after two passes at acceptable. My face just didn't feel up to any more. No blood or obvious irritation, just red flags telling me to live with just OK and wait for my Thursday morning shave. The blade felt smooth enough and the razor seemed quite mild. I used a fairly shallow approach with it. It works.

Oh, the Cella balm is wonderful, almost as good as the La Toja for me.

Looking forward to Thursday morning. I'll have to pick something fun from my collection.

Happy shaves everyone!
:shaving:

Last edited:
Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Seaforth Black Watch Bath Soap, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Aluminum Karve Overlander
Blade: Gillette Green 7 O'Clock (1)
Soap/Cream: Shannon's Soaps Oh To Fou! (Made for Ohio Wet Shavers Group)
Bowl: Georgetown Pottery Travel Shave Bowl
Brush: Paul Trotter Northeast Ice Handle AP Shave Co. 26mm G5A Knot
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Unscented Post Shave Balm, Proraso Red AS
Rating: 10/10 Excellent, efficient 3 pass BBS shave with no touch ups, no weepers, cuts or irritation. Very nice lather, good cushion and residual slickness. First use of a Green 7 O'Clock Blade, seems efficient but not as smooth as a Nacet. Overall an outstanding shave!

Morning Shave🪒

Razor: Copper Ascension
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: Omega 10066
Soap: PAA Atomic Pumpkin
After Shave: Atomic Pumpkin Splash

This shave was a true joy this morning. The scent is lovely and I can't get enough of it. Still honing in on my technique with this razor.

This was an 8 in my book.
8A193F4F-67F4-421B-93FC-2863049A58A6.jpeg

• RazoRock SS .95 Lupo SB.
• Perma-Sharp blade (1).
• Sterling Citron soap and aftershave.
• Shave Nation Badger.
• Thayers Witch Hazel Splash.
• Nivea aftershave cooling balm.

This mornings shave was a quick one but very smooth and efficient. The Lupo .95 SB with the new Parma-Sharp gave a near perfect shave with no weepers or any other fuss. The judge also recognized this performance and awarded 10. Have a great day all!

4C398546-4AAF-47B7-BBDA-1E387E01B594.jpeg
9A7F2699-E7AD-4469-915E-10B2BD47376A.jpeg

Tuesday's shave:

Razor: Colonel Conk "The Major"
Blade: RK Stainless (3rd use)
Pre-shave: Head Slick
Soap: Arko
Aftershave: Proraso white w/added menthol powder

The Major is a nicely efficient budget razor that I think punches well above it's price point. To save some time working the lather into the stubble, I used a dab of Head Slick and lathered over it. The result was a nice, rich, slick shaving layer. This was a 2 pass (1 WTG/XTG, and 1 ATG) shave with very nice results. Rating: 9.4/10 due to time constraints.

For those interested in trying a slightly more aggressive razor with good looks (IMO) and a budget price, the Major might be an option. I enjoy using it.

• RazoRock SS .95 Lupo SB.
• Perma-Sharp blade (1).
• Sterling Citron soap and aftershave.
• Shave Nation Badger.
• Thayers Witch Hazel Splash.
• Nivea aftershave cooling balm.

This mornings shave was a quick one but very smooth and efficient. The Lupo .95 SB with the new Parma-Sharp gave a near perfect shave with no weepers or any other fuss. The judge also recognized this performance and awarded 10. Have a great day all!

View attachment 1541462View attachment 1541458
Everytime I see that Citron, I wish I bought it. I ended up buying their Strawberry Lemonade. Which isn't bad, but doesn't smell that great off the puck. Its post shave does have a pleasant strawberry scent. I have the OC plate for the Lupo .95 on its way, I'm putting off a few shaves to give it test. The Lupo is such a nice razor.

Razor: Lupo 95p
Blade: Permasharp (1)
Soap: Razorock Acqua
Brush: Razorock Bruce Plissoft
Rating: 7.7/10
Aftershave: Dr Thayer's witch hazel facial mist (rose petal), Proraso Blue balm

I'm happy to report after about a week and a half of trial and error, I've dialed in the Lupo! I've decided the 95 is my preferred plate, and the one I'll be keeping. Like many of you, I think it just feels a good bit smother than the 75.

It was also my first time using a Razorock soap, and it was fantastic. Good lather, good scent, and pretty refreshing.

Pre: shower plus Nort for Men Subzero
Razor: Green Cult 1.0 ✨
Blade: BIC Chrome Platinum
Soap: Tallow Tabac
Brush: Omega Proraso Boar

Rate: Educational

Second shave with this discontinued Green Cult. Some praise the blade for its excellent sharpness and smoothness. I agree. But this BIC blade is also unforgiving. One small mistake and it bites. Not fiercely, it's almost knibbling. But it can draw miniscule blood drops.
The first shave was with a KCG, probably the best DE blade. Maybe a little less sharp than the BIC, but it's forgiving like a priest in a confessional.
The back of my old skull has some skin rolls, and the BIC pointed out using it requires me bending my head to straighten the skin.

Enough of that. Back to the Green Cult. This is a great razor, folks. It shaves very, very close. Some call the result BBS, but I think "oil skin" is a little more tastefull. BBS reminds me of the countless times I had to clean the BBS of my sons, and there was nothing pleasant about that.
This razor delivers a perfect shave. I intend to try every blade I have with it.

Happy shaves, brethren 🙏🏽

829120D4-2CED-4536-BE10-87D661D988D4.jpeg

Last edited:
IMG_20221018_083739.jpg
Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable 1962
Blade: Bic Chrome Platinum 🇬🇷 (4)
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3 🇬🇧
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements

Soap: CC 45th Parallel 🧭
Pre shave: Lather scrub, Kyle's routine
Aftershave: RazoRock The Dead Sea 🇮🇹

Rating: 10/10 DFS+

2pass with a little neck buffing.
I've still got a couple of spots on my neck that are eluding the BBS. Did a little neck buffing but can't quite get them cleaned up fully.

Excellent soap and AS combo. I feel and smell great.
Overall, an excellent shave.

Top Bottom