What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Pre-Shave: Grooming Dept Moisturizing Pre-shave
Soap: Captain's Choice Venture
Brush: Paladin Lotus
Razor: Timeless Ti .95
Blade: BIC Chrome Platinum(4)
Post-Shave: Ethos Succès Skin Food Splash
Rating: 10/10 BBS
20220806SOTD.jpg

• Alpha/Executive Shaving Outlaw, (M).
• Nacet (2).
• Mitchell’s wool fat shaving soap.
• Finest Badger brush from Shave Nation.
• Alum stick.
• Duke Cannon after shave cooling balm.
• Fine American after shave lotion.

This morning I reached for a stainless steel razor I have not used in several months and was
pleasantly reminded of how comfortable, efficient, and that beautiful singing this razor brings. I am also reminded that I had forgotten this bar is scalloped and may lead to this razor being a bit more on the aggressive side than the branded (M) for mild really is….At least on my mug anyway. I performed a WTG on cheeks, neck, and mustache followed by a XTG on my cheeks and mustache and finished with a ATG on the cheeks. No issues whatsoever. Fifteen minutes after the shave and there is no irritation. The soap continues to please me with a nice lather and leaves my face feeling soft, (according to the spousal unit).
That Duke Cannon really feels refreshing on a hot summer day. A little feedback on the Alum as I am sure I was a bit heavy handed and fast. The judge is awarding a 10 today based on overall shave experience. Have a wonderful weekend!

Attachments

• F893949C-10FF-4608-A3AC-C97AA9657B3A.jpeg
    F893949C-10FF-4608-A3AC-C97AA9657B3A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • F77EE68C-AD14-4D3A-8E67-2140408AB3AB.jpeg
    F77EE68C-AD14-4D3A-8E67-2140408AB3AB.jpeg
    841.4 KB · Views: 14
  • C8153530-DD11-4B4B-8181-EBD2CA7D3E75.jpeg
    C8153530-DD11-4B4B-8181-EBD2CA7D3E75.jpeg
    692.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Blade: Super Max Diamond Edge (1)
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Mistura Taj
Razor: Rex Konsul
Soap: Taylor of Old Bond Street ~ Royal Forest SC
FOTD: Creed Aventus EdP.
20220805_140615-01.jpeg

My output of 10/10 shaves has quite increased recently... but, it is what it is... and why should I moan? ;)

Here's the story of another shave where the stars alligned perfectly:

Our family is attending a wedding this weekend. We arrived late yesterday at the hotel. When I unpacked my stuff I realized I forgot to bring my travel bowl with me. Fortunate me, the staff of the receiption took care and organized a huge cappuccino cup* for me. Check.

When I woke up early my wife and the kids still were sleeping. I love it when this happens, it's a rare occasion. Check.

So I sneaked into the bathroom, took a shower and had a brilliant, brilliant shave in stealth mode: to assure to not nick myself on this eventful day I dialed down the setting of the Rex Konsul to setting 2 for my regular two passes and went to the lowest setting of 1 for a clean up pass. I easily could have stopped after the second atg pass, but I totally digged the lovely scent of Royal Forest, which I had whipped up with the lovely Taj Mistura, and had entered a zen like state of mind, so I just had to continue.

A calm BBS skin was the result of this marvelous shave. A 10/10 shave in all aspects.

Happy shaves!

(* I already took the picture at home, that's why you won’t find the Cappuccino cup pictured 😉)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Saturday August 6th 2022

Razor : Yaqi Katana with Yaqi rocket handle & Yaqi retracting handle- Mfg 2019> excellent mid upper mid range, this razor uses a 1/2 DE blade, use a steep approach angle(riding the bar) works the best with a short handle 2 3/4 inch, it will give a great close shave from my experience. Very affordable for those who are budget minded.
Blade : Gillette Astra SP 1/2 blade(1) sharp & smooth with great longevity.
Soap : Razorock "The Dead Sea" very nice unique scent with excellent lather qualities. I enjoy this scent very much.
Brush : Yaqi Cola 22 mm synthetic, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, great spray scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock "The Dead Sea" with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my Yaqi Katana with short handle + a Astra SP blade.
SOTD August 6 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Blade: Super Max Diamond Edge (1)
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Mistura Taj
Razor: Rex Konsul
Soap: Taylor of Old Bond Street ~ Royal Forest SC
FOTD: Creed Aventus EdP.
20220805_140615-01.jpeg

My output of 10/10 shaves has quite increased recently... but, it is what it is... and why should I moan? ;)

Here's the story of another shave where the stars alligned perfectly:

Our family is attending a wedding this weekend. We arrived late yesterday at the hotel. When I unpacked my stuff I realized I forgot to bring my travel bowl with me. Fortunate me, the staff of the receiption took care and organized a huge cappuccino cup* for me. Check.

When I woke up early my wife and the kids still were sleeping. I love it when this happens, it's a rare occasion. Check.

So I sneaked into the bathroom, took a shower and had a brilliant, brilliant shave in stealth mode: to assure to not nick myself on this eventful day I dialed down the setting of the Rex Konsul to setting 2 for my regular two passes and went to the lowest setting of 1 for a clean up pass. I easily could have stopped after the second atg pass, but I totally digged the lovely scent of Royal Forest, which I had whipped up with the lovely Taj Mistura, and had entered a zen like state of mind, so I just had to continue.

A calm BBS skin was the result of this marvelous shave. A 10/10 shave in all aspects.

Happy shaves!

(* I already took the picture at home, that's why you won’t find the Cappuccino cup pictured 😉)
Have fun guys!

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Liquid Bath Soap, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Aluminum Overlander
Blade: Personna Platinum (4)
Soap/Cream: Stirling Baker Street
Bowl: Doug Smith Sirabachi Shave Bowl
Brush: Paul Trotter Northeast Ice Handle APSC 26mm G5A Knot
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Stirling Executive Man EDT
Rating: 10/10 Three pass BBS shave with one touch up. No weepers, cuts or irritation. Excellent efficient shave. Still great lather, excellent cushion during shave, great residual slickness

💈SOTD // Blackland Blackbird Ti // Spearhead Seaforth! Fleur de France Soap and Splash // Simpson M7 Manchurian // Captains Choice Copper Bowl // Perma-Sharp(2)
View attachment 1499911
9.90/10
Another Outstanding shave today!
My face is smooth and I smell fantastic!

A most excellent start to the weekend!
😎
Does the aftershave have the same scent as the soap? I assume it does, but I could be wrong, so I ask. I’ve been told La Toja aftershave smells different than La Toja soap, for example.

💈SOTD // Blackland Blackbird Ti // Wholly Kaw Timmermann Classic 1869 Soap and Splash // Simpson M7 Manchurian Butterscotch // Captains Choice Copper Bowl // Perma-Sharp(3)
801EF200-AD2E-48FF-B19D-4FAAE7FD7A2C.jpeg

9.8/10
Another wonderful shave.
Knocked out some chores early so the LOTH and I can go enjoy our small town fair this afternoon.

Have a great day everyone! 😎

Been off lately on my shave routine, today's shave after 2 days off:

Pre-shave: hot shower, then Proraso Green
Soap: Stirling Lemmon Chill
Brush: Semogue 1305 boar
Razor: Game Changer .84p
Blade: Persona Lab Blue (2)

Overall great, smooth shave after a few days growth. A minor nick on the neck, but so minor it didn't impact my rating of the shave.

9.5 out of 10

Razor: Gillette Super Speed 1956
Blade: Bic Chrome Platinum
Brush: AP ShaveCo Silksmoke Blue Lagoon
Preshave: Hot towel
Soap: Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill 🍋
Aftershave: Stirling Glacial Citron 🍊
Finish Scent: Stirling Executive Man EDT

Doesn't get much better than this for me.
Rating: 10/10 DFS+
IMG_20220723_120821-01.jpeg

Saturday, August 6th- ARKO/Boarko on the down low (shave #5)- an excellent two-pass shave, I'll score it a BBS-, 10-/10:

Razor: Gillette Tech
Blade: Wizamet SI (5)- smoother than the BIC CP (4) used yesterday for me, maybe just a hair less sharp, but good
Lather: ARKO stick- nice lather, I let the lather get just about runny for my second pass and it worked well
Brush: Zenith 506 unbleached- my use continues, brush remains excellent
Post: rinse, then Thayer's Superhazel, a nice splash; I may need some moisturizer later- it's back to being warm and dry here after a wonderful, cooler, rainy day yesterday

Be well everyone!

PXL_20220806_163242741_2.jpg

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - Cremo Classic shave soap (applied by hand - tube)
Soap: Arko 👍🤯
Brush: AP Shave Co G5A synthetic👍😍🤯
Razor: Wolfman WR1 SS SB .74 🐺👍😍🤯
Blade: Shark Super Chrome (2) 🦈👍
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Stirling Witch Hazel & Aloe (Margaritas in the Arctic) - Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber aftershave splash 😍👍

A late Arko/Sharko August shave. Great shave on three-days of growth, DFS/BBS with no blood. Shark Super Chrome was not as good as it was on shave #1...which is odd...however, this was on three-days of growth, not two. Still, after the first pass, it settled in. Ghost Town Barber is a great, unique scent. Recently received this splash and also their Bay Rum which I've always liked. I'm not a fan of menthol and all their aftershaves are mentholated, but I can get by it, especially on a day like today...the heat and humidity are through the roof here in the Catskill Mountains. New spot for the picture setup. Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic Witch Hazel and Aloe...gone!

Happy Shaves, everyone!

A_20220806_124923.jpg

Last edited:
Slim Saturday

Pre-shave: shower, Jack Black Face Buff
Soap: SV 70th anniversary
Brush: Parker silvertip
Razor: 1962 Slim H3 (5 setting); Nacet (2)
Post-shave: cold water splash, Jack Black protein booster, Nivea sensitive
Aromatherapy: SV 70th anniversary EDP

I have to be honest, the Slim isn’t the razor out of the 7 in my rotation to where I’m thinking, “oooh….awesome….it’s Slim day”. Slim day means I need to concentrate more on technique. I think a combination of generally light weight and low blade feel causes me to try and compensate with more pressure and/or buffing.

So anyway, loaded up with my favorite soap, a solid blade and had at it. Just as expected, I had to force myself to back off a bit. But definitely satisfied with 2 passes free of drama or irritation for a 9.2 DFS. Progress not perfection!

ED42DF8D-A6DB-4E32-84DA-61EF715F12E0.jpeg

Saturday shave

Cold water used throughout the shave
Yaqi Timberwolf "Mysterious Space" 24mm synthetic brush
Bicrops porcelain lather bowl
ARKO shave soap, puck (ARKO August)
Henson Al13 +++ (Aggressive)
Astra Superior Platinum (2)
Pinaud Clubman after shave

This was the usual three pass shave; WTG, XTG, ATG. I re-opened two weepers from a previous shave, but they disappeared quickly. Otherwise, no other faux pas. The main thing with a Henson is how easy it is on the skin, no irritation at all, and BBS all over! No after shave feedback.

I would rate this shave 9.7/10

Top Bottom