What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

linty1

My wallet cries.
E2B22B67-A9EF-4AAC-9116-2A94B343C5A5.jpeg

Duke 3 in best/dettol/general/kai milds

Haven't reached for the D3 in ages so decided to give it a whirl. Went 2 wtg passes for a good shave. Really loving this handle, its just so grippy and easy to hold.

I lathered up with TOBS Sandlewood cream then decided to use three razors today, with the luxury of time and my own bathroom:

- Feather AS-D2 (2 passes, mouth and chin) followed by
- Gillette vintage EFB Tech (entire face and neck), then a final touchup with my
- Ikon Tek (neck and jawline)

The Feather is loaded with a BIC Chrome blade, the others with Astra SPs. All blades are on the equivalent of their 2nd or 3rd shave.

BBS with no drama. 10/10.

6/23/22 Lost some man fur😡

Pre shave: Proraso pre shave cream(green).
Shave soap: Pre De Provence #63.
Brush: PAA Amber Aerolite 24mm synthetic brush.
Razor: Vikings Blade Chieftain 5 BC.
Blade: Lord Platinum Class (1).
3 passes WTG, XTG, ATG.
Post shave: Stirling MITA balm and Stirling MITA splash Glacial.

5/10😢 So I ended with close to BBS but it came at a cost. The Lord Platinum Class just is not a blade for me. The first one I used felt very sharp and was ok on smoothness. This blade(from same tuck) felt DULL and very tuggy. So tuggy that I honestly believe I lost a patch of man fur under my chin! Just yanked it right out. There were some other spots where I feel I might have lost some man fur too. At least those areas are for sure BBS spots. But yeah, I am done with these blades.

23 June 2022
View attachment 1476819

Prep
Old Spice bar soap (in bowl with white cap)
Razor
King C. Gillette
Brush
Omega---11126
Lathering
Stirling Barbershop
Bowl
Q Shave Scuttle
Blade
Gillette Silver Blue blade 1 of 2 Shave #1
Passes
WTG, XTG and then buffing as required
Cleanup
Rinsed & dried face f/b Witch Haze f/b Omega Alum stick
Aftershave
Old Spice (now in small travel bottle)
Rating(s)
9.0 DFS
Today
Lots remaining stubble, but no nicks or weepers
Comment(s)
Today was my 1st shave with GSB blade in ages. The result(s) were okay, but I had to employ 3 passes and lots of buffing. However, I started the shave with a thick scratchy beard, but now have a basically smooth face. Perhaps the blade need a ‘break-in’ shave to get started.
GSB tend to be great out of the gate for me. But the 2nd shave with a GSB is always better than the first. Plus they tend to work better in more aggressive razors. The Teflon coating is probably too thick for a first time shave in a milder razor to be efficient. I hope your 2nd use with it gives you better results.

Hot towel on the neck area for a few minutes
Hot water splash over the face
Bicrops porcelain shave bowl
Cella Crema Da Barba shave soap
Simpson Trafalgar T3 Synthetic brush
Karve Christopher Bradley brass w/D plate
Astra Superior Platinum (3)
Thayer's Witch Hazel w/aloe
Pinaud Clubman after shave

This was a three pass shave; WTG, XTG, ATG. Shave number two with the Karve CB. Got a close shave, with only two tiny weepers that disappeared on their own before the ATG pass. Minimal feedback from the alum block.
I'm very impressed with the Karve CB. Weighty, well made, attractive and provides a great shave.
10/10

20220622_092412.jpg

Razor: AutoStrop B1 Set
Blade: Personna Gem PTFE blade, modified for AutoStrop
Brush: Made-Rite 500PB, Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Mauer & Wirtz Tabac
Aftershave: Maurer & Wirtz Tabac Aftershave Lotion
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder

Rating Ten. There is nothing quite like a well broken in Gem blade.

Pre: Shower
Razor: Souplex Double Six (1935)
Blade: Gillette Indian Black
Soap: Tallow Tabac
Brush: Yaqi HM Badger

Rate: 10

Excellent close shave, my scalp was as bald as a bald man's skull.
This English bakelite vintage offers two different shave sides, one 'mild', one very aggressive.
Some use one side for each different stroke, I varied during the strokes.
A member was wondering how this razor is rarely mentioned. It can't be the shaving qualities, so it must be there aren't many that survived since 1935.
Soap and AS are fantastic, as is the brush.

A2E36148-2AB9-4777-B73C-E05EF41B330B.jpeg

GSB tend to be great out of the gate for me. But the 2nd shave with a GSB is always better than the first. Plus they tend to work better in more aggressive razors. The Teflon coating is probably too thick for a first time shave in a milder razor to be efficient. I hope your 2nd use with it gives you better results.
Thanks for your helpful comment. I haven't use a GSB blade for a year or more. I don't know if my KCG is considered to be an aggressive razor, but it works well for me.

Pre: Shower
Razor: Souplex Double Six (1935)
Blade: Gillette Indian Black
Soap: Tallow Tabac
Brush: Yaqi HM Badger

Rate: 10
Those Gillette Indian Black blades get surprisingly little praise on here. I find them really good, but the Yellows and Astra SPs edge them out in value. If they were the same price as the Astras I'd use nothing else.

Pre-Shave: Grooming Dept Moisturizing Pre-shave
Soap: Ethos Mandarino Fumo
Brush: Paladin Lotus
Razor: WSC The Winning Razor
Blade: PolSilver SI(2)
Post-Shave: Mask of lather + Ethos Mandarino Fumo Skin Food Splash
Rating: 10/10 BBS - A much better shave this morning although I'm not too crazy about the drag this razor has against the skin. Another issue I have is the squeegee effect from the SB. I'm going to have to decide, is TWR a keeper or send it back.

View attachment 1476845
I just ordered this Soap and Splash yesterday! super stoked to try Ethos for the first time.

SOTD
Razor: Blackbird Ti
Blade: Perma-Sharp (1)
Soap: Zingari Man Wanderer
Brush: Simpson M7 Super
Bowl: Captains Choice Copper
AS: Zingari Man Wanderer
9FC375F7-448D-4E32-BA2D-74A5B71511C6.jpeg

Today was a 10/10!
As close to BBS as I get. Today was an excellent shave. Everything came together for an effortless, efficient shave! About as good as it gets! Happy shaves everyone!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Soap- 345 Soap Co Trench lines
Razor- Pearl Flexi
Blade- Nacet
Aftershave and balm- 345 Soap Co Trench lines
Scuttle- Georgetown Pottery

Trench line is an homage to Lacoste white. Tbh, I've never smelled it, but I can say this stuff smells great, like a spring/summer cologne. Soap performed like one would expect. My Pearl and Nacet always deliver.

All in all I'd give today's shave a 10/ 10.

Attachments

• 20220623_085713.jpg
    20220623_085713.jpg
    636.2 KB · Views: 7
Top Bottom