What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
proxy.php

WTG & XTG & ATG 4-Day Stubble Shave!

(1) Timeless Titanium Ti95 DE Safety Razor!
(2) Gillette Nacet Stainless Blade - 1rst Use!
(3) CC Starry Night Lather Bowl!
(4) CC 45th Parallel Shave Soap Sample!
(5) CC Venture Aftershave In Big Bottle!
(6) AP G5C Synthetic Blue Lagoon Brush!
(7) Stirling 125G Alum Block!

Trying out my new razor today, didn't go quite as planned. .095 is the blade aggression of this razor. WTG passes, it was able to remove the 4-day stubble growth! The shave got smoother as the new blade wore in. I started getting used to doing XTG passes again, big mistake! Upon doing XTG passes on my neck, I nicked myself in two places. I wouldn't call them weepers per say, they weren't flowing crimson rivers, but they were blood spots.

ATG passes went a lot smoother, and this is when I started becoming more impressed with the razor. Its most certainly a smooth shaving razor, as other's have said. But as with every new razor, we have to learn new techniques in using them, and I nicked my mole, and now its inflated. However, I did achieve a smooth shave otherwise, 100% BBS, 0% DFS. Because of the nicks though, this will be a low rating.

Total score 7 out of 10!

PS: Were not off to a good start with a brand new razor, but its my fault, I just have to adjust and figure it all out.

Sat 28 SOTD
Cream BS MacaRoot & Aloe
Brush Yaqi 24mm Bali Silvertip
Razor Henkotsu Kamisori
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel MitA + BS MacaRoot & Aloe Gel
Very nice cream... the scent is pleasant and the lather is just impeccable...
Missed this razor and today's shave with it was ok. The edge after some laps on the new LaLune and Kanayama was not laser-like after pasted balsa but acceptable. I need to fine-tune how to use the LaLune. 3passes without any issues for a ccs finish. Aftershaves were excellent for a hot humid day. Rating 9/10!
20220528_090208.jpg

Here we go, my first shave for 365 shaves.
  • 28/31 days in GRUME May (90.32% completed and getting ready for the final laps - and boy am I resisting purchasing goodies!)
  • 147/148 days of shaving (99.32%)
Prep:KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Razor:Fatip Piccolo OC
Blade:Tiger Platinum (5)
Brush:Omega Black Badger
Cream:Proraso Green
Bowl:Proraso
Passes:WTG - Gillette Slide (NE-SW and E-W horizontal on the neck)
W/XTG - Gillette Slide (NW-SE and S-N on the neck)
X/ATG - Slightly slanted (SW-NE)
ATG - Slightly slanted (S-N and W-E horizontal on the neck).
Aftershave:Proraso Green
Balm:Proraso Green
Rating:8.0/10 BBS

Extended notes to today’s shave can be found here: A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11785351

Have a Great day everyone.

Guido

A bright Saturday morning.

Gold Dollar W54 6/8 round point straight razor
Simpsons Trafalgar T3 synthetic brush
Stirling "Triumph" soap
Antonio Puig "Quorum" aftershave

Something of a "how do they do it for the price" shave this morning. I've confessed previously to having something of a soft spot for Gold Dollar razors (particularly the W60 and the classic 66) - the W54 is set in nice wood scales and looks like it should be a much more expensive razor. Shaves well, too. It cost less than £20.

Similar thoughts with the Trafalgars, and all of the Stirling soaps I've tried so far (there are a lot of 'em : I have four (Spice, Triumph, Haverford and Evergreen Forest) on the go, and two more waiting in the cupboard). "Quorum" fits with the smell, and is another reasonably priced gem.

I'll call it a "9", but it's as close to full marks as makes little difference.

28 May 2022

Modern May Challenge / GRUME Day-28
20220528_054204.jpg

Prep:
Harry’s Face Scrub, with long soak in
Razor:
King C. Gillette—Germany/China
Brush:
Gray Dog--Ohio
Lathering:
Using heated rain water.

Cattie’s Bubbles – Forked River, New Jersey
Bowl:
Fine Stoneware—New York
Blade: Astra SP Russia
2 blades in reserve
Blade #14
Shave #3
Passes:
1st WTG only
2nd (mix of ATG, XTG, WTG as required)
Cleanup:
1) Rinsed & dried face
2) Witch Hazel--application
3) Omega Alum stick--Italy
Aftershave:
Pinaud Clubman--Mexico
Rating(s):
10.0 BBS
For today:
Token stubble, with no nicks or weepers
Comment:
The long soak-in of Harry’s Face Scrub softened up my steel wool beard. I only needed some token buffing to finish this morning’s shave. A clean-shaven face will be nice when I am mowing the back yard later today.

Pre-Shave: Grooming Dept Unscented Pre-shave + GD Hydrating Gel
Soap: Ethos Mandarino Fumo
Brush: Paladin Lotus
Razor: Timeless Ti .95
Blade: Astra SP(3rd shave)
Post-Shave: Mask of lather, Ethos Mandarino Fumo Skin Food Splash

Rating: 10/10 - A Timeless BBS

I think I need a new rating scale. I've been perfectly happy with the shaves from my vintage Gillette DEs. I was getting what I thought were BBS shaves practically everyday. I'm thinking this is one of those things I like to refer to as a "You don't know what you don't know" moment. After only three shaves with the Timeless, there's no doubt my shaves has gotten even better. What I don't understand is I'm noticing the difference in the feel of the my beard stubble on my jaw line as it reappears in the late afternoon.

EthosMF05282022A.jpg

Slant Saturday!

Fatip Open Comb Slant, Astra blade (3) (I'm really getting to like Astras)

Stirling Barbershop soap, with some Proraso Green cream as a pre-shave

Two passes on cheeks and lower lip, three on throat; super smooth result

Chiseled Face Midnight Stag aftershave, inexpensive skin lotion, Clubman powder

A slant razor is no gimmick, not in my experience. I use the slants on Saturday, and I always wind up with the closest and most comfortable shaves of all my small stable of razors.

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: 24K gold plated Brass Karve Overlander
Blade: Astra SP (3)
Soap: Arianna & Evans Barbiere Sophistacato
Bowl: Doug Smith Pottery Suribachi Shaving Bowl
Brush: Semogue SOC Cherry Wood Handle Boar
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Polo Double Black EDT
Rating: 10/10 Three pass BBS shave with no touch ups. No weepers, cuts or irritation. Excellent efficient Shave. Did have some red spots appear, in multiple locations, but didn't bleed, so just hit full face with an Alum Stick and all was well. The Doug Smith bowl is amazing, whips up great lather with little to no effort. At first I was concerned as the ridges on the inside of the bowl are not prominent, but after the first use I realized it's a non issue. I have yet to test a badger, probably tomorrow, but any brush I use with the bowl produces a bowl full of lather.

tempImage3IrSYK.jpg

Brush: 26mm SynBad
Lather: Stirling Scots Pine Sheep with Frost Drops
Blade: Lord New Platinum (1)
Razor: Muhle R41

What a great shave this Saturday morning. Taken at a very shallow angle, the R41 can be a surprisingly comfortable razor to use, and gives an exceptionally close shave without sacrificing any comfort at all. No injuries, irritation, or post-shave sensitivity for me today. A nearly perfect BBS shave resulted with only mild aftershave feedback. 10/10 here. Have a great weekend.

Wolfman WR2 1.25,Astra sp(1),PAA cavendish,Simpsons chubby1 super,Thayers,Floid 1932,Nivea sensitive.4th shave with the wolfman and the best so far.Starting to get the feel for this razor feels better in the hand and got the right angle more often than not.The Astra blade was a good fit for me really smooth.3 passes minimum pickups a comfortable BBS.I'll give it a 9.5/10.Take care happy shaves everyone.
20220528_163855[1].jpg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Pre-Shave: Baume.be
Soap: Canada Shaving Soap
Bowl: ESC Stef Baxter Lipped Bowl
Brush: Semogue Owner's Club Mistura Taj
Razor: ESC Claymore Evolution AC SE w/Timeless Ti Crown handle in Matte (hand rubbed with Simichrome)
Blade: Feather ProGuard (1)
Post Shave: RR Alum Bloc; Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream.

The shave was excellent... easily better than 9.9 out of 10. New blade... first time using the SOC Mistura. What a nice brush. I had done 3 wet/dry cycles to break it in a bit but I was surprised it was so soft.... with a nice scrub. Very, very pleasant and those who use this brush all say it will only improve with time, so a real treat from a moderately priced brush.

5_27_2022.jpg

Top Bottom