What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Tabac tallow shaving soap stick
Parker CHST silvertip badger brush
Vintage Mappin & Webb straight razor (ca. 1870-1883)
witch hazel
Tabac aftershave

One pass on face, two on neck. Bad shave today. I cut myself mid-stroke on the neck. Bled for a few minutes. (I was pressing way too hard for an SR and going too fast.) Secondly, I didn’t notice until I got home, but I missed a patch on my chin.

I shouldn’t have cut myself. I shouldn’t have missed a spot. The shave should be smoother and better overall. I’ll score this my lowest, a 6/10.

B8A58977-7619-490A-81ED-E94D4C12EE6A.jpeg

Last edited:

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Razor: Schick Krona
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless
Brush: Zenith aluminum boar, 27mm
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
Aftershave: Pre de Provence No. 63
Growth: 24 hours
Passes: WTG, ATG, cleanup
Rating: 3/10

I have a confession... I have become a razor snob.

In the past, I have heaped praise on the Schick Krona as a mild, cheap and accessible razor. It is my backup razor when noticing a spot was missed. Today, I decided to use it for a full shave.

Big disappointment. The razor tugged and pulled, both WTG & ATG. The razor felt flimsy. The blade didn’t feel well cinched. Sitting in church an hour later and I felt stubble. Everywhere. Give it 1 point for heritage + 1 point for no weepers + 1 point for charity. Worst shave of the past year.

Life is too short for bad shaves. The Krona is officially retired to the PIF / St. Sue Auction drawer, with its position as a cleanup razor filled by a Razorock Game Changer.

Amazing how razors like the Rockwell 6S and Rex Ambassador have rendered the Krona unworthy. Or, more likely, I’ve just become a razor snob.

A0D2F810-6097-4ABA-946E-96092B3A006B.jpeg

Epic shave again with the Karve OC-D. I think this might be my goldilocks plate.

Stirling Beeswax soap continues to impress. Super slick and protective. I don't miss scented shave soap with Proraso's pre/post-shave cream scents. Just enough to cut through to give a lightly scented sandlwood shave.

Pre: Proraso Red
Brush: Simpson T2
Soap: Stirling Beeswax
Blade: Kai
Razor: Karve CB OC-D

PXL_20220123_202823438.jpg

My Sunday Afternoon Epic Fail...err, Shave
Prep: Warm shower, two days growth​
Strop: Tony Miller Premium Steerhide Smooth w/ Linen​
One pass shave: WTG​
Razor: Henry Graves 5 /8​
Pre-Shave: Taconic Organic Pre-Shave Oil, Unscented​
Brush: Elite Razor Quilted Sapele with 24mm Mother Load 2​
Soap: Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream w/ Bowl, Royal Forest​
Facial Toner: None
Aftershave: Taylor of Old Bond Street Royal Forest Luxury Aftershave Cream​
2/10!
  • After the first stroke I was wondering if the edge needed work. The must have been enough to distract me. Just like that I had cut myself above the jawline!
  • I gave the shave a 2 because I did finish it. Surprisingly close considering. A few understandable missed patches.

My latest shave included:
King C. Gillette Razor with an Astra SP blade (2nd use for both)
IvanDerWilliams Custom Soap Blend (40% Williams, 40% VDH & 20% Ivory)
Razorock Monster 26mm plissoft brush
Whipped up lather partially in my mug and then face lathered
Prep was to was to my face prior to applying lather

Rating of 8/10 as follows:
Lather was perfect, rich, thick, long lasting and very slick
Monster held plenty of lather for all passes and touch up
New King C. Gillette is a tad milder than my Weishi so I'm still dialing in exactly how to use it. Required an extra pass (3 passes + touch up vs regular 2 passes plus touch up) for a BBS so slightly downgraded to the 8/10 rating. Otherwise razor is a pleasure to use and works well with my Astra blades.

Comments:
Really like the King C. Gillette razor, nice heavy feel to it. Blade guard appears perfectly angled/extended to allow a quality shave while minimizing the chance of any nicks. Note that you need to avoid overtightening the handle as beyond a certain point the blade will be twisted slightly off balance. For the first time I now have a razor rotation between this and my Weishi 9306 long handle. Now if we could only get Gillette to release a similar quality butterfly DE razor.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20220123_114420~3.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB (TiBam 'Antique' Titanium Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (3)
Brush: Rudy Vey Irish Bog Oak (Mühle 25mm STF)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Barrister and Mann Barrister's Reserve Lavender
Aftershave: Fine Lavender
Fragrance: Ach Brito Lavanda Eau de Cologne

Superb shave! :thumbup:

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11624814

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - PAA Tube 2.0
Soap: Captain's Choice Bay Rum shave cream
Brush: AP Shave Co G5B synthetic
Razor: RazoRock Lupo SS SB .72
Blade: Sharp Titanium (1)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Stirling Witch Hazel & Aloe (Bay Rum scent) - Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Fine Snakebite aftershave splash

Tough shave. I don't have many experiences like this anymore, but...I have to admit this was one of them. It all started this morning when we awoke to...no water. It's been sub zero weather in the Catskills during the night for a number of days in a row and one of the village water mains must have had issues as many people in our vicinity were without water. So...once the problem had been fixed and the water returned, I decided to give a night shave a go. Well...I wish I hadn't. Weepers on my lower neck...not good. I may ditch this blade in case it's a dud although, it felt ok while shaving. Well...I can be grateful that well over 90% of my shaves are not like this one. I may give my neck a couple of days to rest or simply shave around the area with the weepers and bumps. I decided to use Fine Snakebite in the hopes that it would burn the problem area away. Just kidding...I needed the antiseptic qualities.

No picture with this one. Watching this get smaller in the rear view mirror.

Happy Shaves, Everyone.

tempImageVozBFX.jpg

Brush: 24mm Faux Horse
Lather: Stirling Piacenza
Blade: 7 O'Clock Green (2)
Razor: Karve CB with SB-E plate

On only 18 hours of growth, I needed a mild yet still efficient shave. The SB-E plate knocked it right out of the park. No irritation or post-shave sensitivity. I did have a nick during the shave and one appeared a while after I was done. BBS- results on 3.5 passes; I took a little off the last pass for the sake of comfort. Slight deductions result in a 9.7/10. I do like hitting my target, though! Piacenza plus Proraso Green is a great match, IMO.

Prep : Warm Water Splashes + Glycerin Face Wash
Razor: Mühle R41(2013)
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (D2)
Brush: Shavemac Germania 2-Band Silvertip Badger
Soap : Arko Shaving Stick
Aftershave: Alum Block + Cold Water Rinse + Anherb AS Balm
Rating : 9.82/10 :pipe:
Very close, comfortable and smooth BBS in 3 passes ! :001_wub:

IMG_20220123_122834350.jpg

Blue Theme SOTD - Sunday Afternoon Jan 23, 2022

Razor:
1958 Gillette Ball End Tech - always use to test new soaps & creams, nothing beats a tech
Blade: GSB (2) - consistent good performance from russian gillette blades
Cream: Barbasol 1919 Classic Shaving Cream - fresh scent, very slick, excellent razor glide, good post shave feel
Aftershave: Lucky Tiger After Shave, Nivea Maximum Hydration Post Shave Balm - good combo
Growth: 54 hours
Passes: WTG, XTG, ATG
Rating: 9.4/10

Results: I shaved for the first time with Barbasol 1919 Classic Shaving Cream. In 1919, Barbasol invented the very first no brush, no lather, no rub-in shaving cream. Barbasol 1919 is their fresh take on the original. Nice fresh scent. Very slick & excellent razor glide. Moisturized post shave feel. Achieved a DFS result. No cuts, nicks, tugging or irritation. Very Good Shave! I use super slicks mainly for Pre-Shave to improve razor glide. But first, I always shave with the super slick to test its performance. Barbasol 1919 is similar in face feel & performance to my Trader Joe's Cream Shave, Cremo & VDH Shave Butter. However, the judges deducted points when I broke out an old toothbrush to clear the cream that clogs on the razor & blade. First time I've ever had to do that to rinse out cleanly the razor during the shave. Besides pre-shave & shave, you can also add super slicks to your shave bowl to boost the slickness of soaps & creams. I recommend Barbasol 1919 for your dopp kit for travel, gym, work and a fast evening shave before going out.

SinatraLennon, aka Bobby Barbasol

Mon 24 SOTD
Soap Barrister & Mann Vespers New 1st Use
Brush Yaqi 22mm Joy Butterscotch Boar
Razor Karve Brass OC-D New 1st Use
Blade BiC Chrome Platinum 1st
Aftershaves + Stirling Witchhazel Lemon Chill + B&M Vespers Balm
Been wanting this soap for a long time and it's finally arrived. Wow...good strong scent, is it cranberries?? The lather is rich, creamy, and slick...
Been wanting this OC-D base plate for a long time too...and it did not disappoint. Paired with the blade, the shave was crisply smooth...comfortable & efficient. 3passes for a dolphin smooth finish. The matching aftershave balm is very nice...
Rating 10/10!
20220124_144027.jpg

Razor: 1975 Soviet Anniversary Lenningrad Edition / бритва юбилейная ленинград
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (1)
Brush: Fine 20mm synthetic
Soap: Fine Lavender pour homme
AS: Tobs St.James

Haven't used this razor for a long time, I even put it on the bay for a while - had an offer but eventually the buyer asked to cancel.
Today was the best shave with this vintage gem ever, so I'm hanging on to it for a bit longer.

10/10

Special mention to the Fine soap, it's the first Fine puck I've tried but man it's great!
The scent isn't entirely my cup of tea but it's very calming and err...Fine? It's lather however is truely exceptional.

april_2022-01-24-09-30-53-600.jpg

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Aloeclear African Black Soap
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave oil
- Cella (red tub)

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Osma Alum Block
- Stirling Tea Tree, Witch Hazel & Aloe
- Hylamide Skin Serums
- Hawkins and Brimble Elemi and Ginseng Aftershave Balm
- Jack Black Double Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- FaTip Piccolo Gentile
- BIC Chrome Platinum (4)
- Epsilon 26mm White Horse Hair Brush

Fragrance for the day
- Essens Beauty version of Creed Viking EDP

Shave Rating: 9/10
I hadn't shaved since Thursday so a few extra days growth but it was no issue for the FaTip and BIC combination! It's still a very sharp and smooth combination and gave an excellent shave.
It was also my second shave with the Epsilon brush, the funky smell has gone but it's still quite scritchy (especially compared to my Zenith Horse Hair brush)
Overall a pleasant and close shave with no irritation but a touch of Alum sting (took the top off of a couple of spots).

Shave of Day.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Cera Ve Hydrating Facial Cleaner
Soap/Cream
B&M Leviathan
Brush
Paladin El Dorado
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
ATT s-1
Blade
Polsilver Super Iridium
Aftershave
Thayers WH & L’Occitane ASB
Fragrance
Yves Saint Laurent
Rating
10/10
Comments
This is the third shave with the ATT S-1 and Polsilver Super Iridium blade. Today starts a week with a new soap: B&M Leviathan. Much to my surprise, this soap has a very mild scent. Some say it has a coffee scent but neither my wife nor I found that. Nevertheless, performance-wise, it provided a decent lather. A perfect shave. Have a good one folks.

Top Bottom