What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

9.9/10
Razor: Gillette Tech
Blade: Personna
Brush: Rubberset 400#4, Silvertip
Soap: Summer Break, Prom King

IMG_0401.JPG

Preshave: From Slock’s mad scientist lab Slock’s universal, certified soon to be internationally famous proprietary shaving oil blend.

Razor: Henson Al13 Medium.
Blade: Personna Lab Blue.

Soap: Oleo Soapworks/Chicago Grooming 40

Brush: Stirling Finest Badger
Balm Stirling unscented balm.

Aftershave: Oleo Soapworks/Chicago Grooming 40

Stately BBS.

Pre-shave: None
Lather: Col. Ichabod Conk Lime
Brush: Jayaruh 347 Boar Bristle
Razor: The Winning Razor
Blade: Tatra Paltinum (1)
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Citrus Musk
Post-shave: Nivea Sensitive balm

SOTD_2022-01-18.jpeg

Today was my first shave with a Wet Shaving Club Winning Razor. It is a very heavy stainless steel razor with an interesting head design. There is some blade feel but the edge is well protected, making it seem like it would be difficult to cut myself. The Tatra blade was also a first and I am happy to say that it worked perfectly. I can't say if I should give credit to the razor, blade, or both but I had a spectacular shave ending in a solid BBS, let's say 9.8/10. Hours later, I am still touching my face to admire the smoothness.

Thanks for reading and happy shaves to all!

Wed 19 SOTD
Soap Yaqi Hypnotic Blue
Brush Yaqi 26mm Rainbow Synthetic
Razor Karve Brass SB-F
Blade SuperMax Super Stainless 1st
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel Wintergreen + Yaqi Hypnotic Blue Splash
The soap is good. The scent is nice, the lather is creamy and slick enough.
Excellent shave with the razor paired with this blade. 3passes for a bbs finish.
Matching aftershave was great. 10/10!
20220119_093607.jpg

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Razor: Rockwell 6S, #4 plate
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless (10)
Brush: Zenith aluminum boar, 27mm
Soap: Cella Red
Pre-Shave: Hot shower
Aftershave: Pre de Provence
Growth: 24 hours
Passes: WTG, ATG, cleanup
Rating: 8/10

Deep thoughts during today’s shave... Seriously, on whose lap would you allow the children to sit at Christmastime, Cella Man or Arko Man. Or which would you accept candy from the back of a white panel van, and which would prompt you to summon the police?

Maybe that’s why the Arko wrapper gets quickly removed, while the Cella red tub is welcomed sink-side to smile through great shaves.

F4547851-5C19-432F-BC2F-4E38F360DBBB.jpegD5B7979F-802E-4A70-843E-E5A49AF04DD5.jpeg

I reknotted my Captain's Choice brush from the Sue Moore Auction with a 24mm Synbad knot:
tempImageCONU1q.jpg

Brush: 24mm Synbad -- first use of this knot and really like it. I think it matches the handle well.
Lather: Stirling Gentleman -- still enjoying this scent but Deton-8 might even be better.
Blade: Feather ProGaurd (2) -- I remember not loving this blade when I first got it but it is hard to beat. So comfortable.
Razor: Blackland Vector
Post: Thayer's, Captain's Choice Italia (awesome), and Stirling Gentleman EdT

Such a nice combo of efficiency and comfort in this shave, and the splash really finished it off well. I'm not a big fan of tuxedo knots, as it turns out, so I've just reknotted this handle and another one (lined up for tomorrow). Of the three commercial brushes I've removed knots from, this was the easiest and cleanest by far. The coin came off in the process as well, but wasn't damaged, and glued right back on. I had to shallow up the socket, and rather than using washers or quarters, I decided to fill it with a couple mm of epoxy, which also leveled out very nicely before hardening.

BBS- results, no injuries, irritation, or post-shave sensitivity. Great scents, a lovely project outcome . . . it's a 10/10.

Prep : Warm Water Splashes + Glycerin Face Wash
Razor: Fatip Grande
Blade: Astra SP (D4)
Brush: Custom Shavemac Silvertip Badger
Soap : Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave: Alum Block + Cold Water Rinse + BRUT AS Lotion
Rating : 9.82/10 :pipe:
Very close, comfortable and smooth BBS in 3 passes ! :001_wub:

Pre Shave: Hot Shower plus Sanex BioMe
Soap: Catie's Bubbles
Razor: Philite
Blade: Gillette Platinum
After Shave: Black Ice
Balm: Chizeled Face Cryogen

Rate: 8

Second use of this excellent 80 year old bakelite Philips razor.
The first use was with a same blade, but a different soap.
I did the beard shave with a Rapira Super Steel, but it turned out to be a lesser shave than with the earlier combo Philite, GP and Kaizen soap.
I blamed the blade and loaded a GP for my head shave.
Even though the razor and blade handled the difficult parts with ease, the shave was raw, even drawing small blood spots. This in contrast to the superb previous shave with this combination.
The conclusion, I am sorry to draw, is that this soap is of lesser quality than the Kaizen.
The scent is extremely nice, the lather from the tub plus blooming looked good, but didn't glide as many other soaps. Last time I pressed some soap in the bottom of my bowl, but this technique does absolutely not work for every soap, this one included. Post shave left my skin dry, a rarity for me.
I will use the soap again, but not with this excellent little razor and fine blade, and probably will add some mineral oil.
0EE8AD9A-A0EC-419C-AFED-31DF52696814.jpeg

Lucky Tiger Debut - Tuesday Evening Jan 18, 2022

Razor:
Baili BD176 - good performing tech clone, nothing beats a tech
Blade: Gillette Nacet (7) - hit the road jack and don't you come back, no more, no more, no more, no more
Brush: WCS Two-Tone Tall Synthetic 26mm - lathers efficiently, comfortable handle, soft tips, great painter
Soap: Pedro Fiasco Pomegranate & Wood by Ariana & Evans - great scent, lathers easily, creamy lather, good cushion
Pre-Shave: Pacific Shaving Co. Natural Shaving Cream - 2nd use as pre-shave, excellent skin friendly ingredients
Aftershave: Lucky Tiger After Shave - no sting, light orange scent, nice face feel, skin friendly, it's a winner!
Growth: 49 hours
Passes: WTG, XTG, ATG, cleanup
Rating: 9.7/10

Results: Relaxing evening shave. DFS result. I let lather soak in for 3 minutes to soften stubble for smoother shave. Nacet's performance trending down. Time to bin the blade. 2nd shave with Pedro Fiasco Shaving Soap. Easy to lather, good cushion, nice creamy stable lather & great scent. Good post shave feel. Very good performer. Excellent value. This A&E budget soap along with Groomatorium's Stubble Buster, are my first use of these Artisan brands. I'm impressed with both. Early on, I give slight edge to Pedro Fiasco for cream quality & scent strength. I recommend both soaps. Recent additions to my A/S lineup: Pinaud Clubman, Old Spice and now Lucky Tiger. All winners!

IMG_20220117_150526739.jpg
IMG_20220118_164756183.jpg

19 January 2022
20220119_053515.jpg

Prep:
Nivea Men’s Face Wash
Today’s Razor:
King C. Gillette—China/Germany
WCS 84S
Van der Hagen
Today’s Lathering:
Cella—Green—Italy Using very hot tap water
Through the Fire
Blade:
Personna—Israel Shave #9
Today’s Brush:
Omega—1126—Italy
Van der Hagen--China
Bowl:
WCS Plastic Shaving Bowl
Homemade lathering bowl (from an old soap container)
Passes:
WTG / ATG / buffing--light
Cleanup:
Rinsed & dried face f/b Alum f/b Witch Hazel rubdown
Aftershave:
AV Musk
Pinaud Clubman
Rating(s):
Comments:
Comment: A nice shave with a much used blade.
For Today: Only token stubble, with no nicks or weepers.

Shave of Day.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Cera Ve Hydrating Facial Cleaner
Soap/Cream
Seaforth Sea Spice Lime
Brush
SOC Boar
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Wolfman WR2 SB 1.05
Blade
Personna Medical Prep
Aftershave
Thayers WH & L’Occitaine ASB
Fragrance
Yves Saint Laurent
Rating
10/10
Comments
This is my third use of this soap this time with a boar brush. It continues to impress me. This is one slick soap. Since this is Wednesday, out came the Wolfman razor. The soap and razor gave me a perfect shave. Have a great day.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR Sandalwood shave soap (applied by hand - pump)
Soap: Musgo Real Spiced Citrus shave cream (tube)
Brush: Semogue Galahad horse hair
Razor: Wolfman WR1 SS SB .74
Blade: Lord Asco (2)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Stirling Witch Hazel & Aloe (Bay Rum scent) - Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Stirling Bay Rum splash
Cologne: Stirling Bay Rum edt

Brilliant shave...two days of growth. DFS/BBS with no blood. 12 on a scale of 1 to 10. Stirling Bay Rum smells great! This brush is still shedding, but it performed better for me this morning than in its first two uses. It may be coming around. If it doesn't come around...I'm contemplating a purchase of a 22mm synthetic knot and replacing the horse hair. I like the handle...good size. Once again, apologies for the slightly blurry picture.

Happy Shaves, Everyone.

A_20220119_072714.jpg

2-pass head shave S-N, #3 with the Müster blade. I am pleased, it did well. I had no expectations on performance, so kudos. Will it replace my top blades, no. But I could happily use them otherwise. Binned after 3 uses as I do most blades. The hole in the bottom of my Stirling is getting bigger, and starting to spin when I load the brush, so a few more weeks most likely. This will also be the last shave with my Soviet Rubin for a while as my daughter got me a birth year Gillette slim for my birthday, so I'll try that out and see what I think, curious how it compares to the Rubin.

Soviet Rubin - setting 6
Müster Platinum (3 & bin)
Stirling Bay Rum
Omega Boar

9/10

shave.jpeg

Razor: Above the Tie classic R1 safety bar head, Atlas handle, vintage 2014 (discontinued in 2020, I think)
Blade: Treet Black Beauty carbon steel blued blade (2 and out)
Brush: Simpson Commodore X2 Best Badger
Soap: Cella, red tub
Rating: 8.5

This morning's shave on 2 days of growth. Only DFS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes and many minutes of blade buffing, but no burning or irritation, and no nicks.

I didn't just imagine the pulling and tugging felt during the previous use of this blade because I noticed it again today; this blade just wasn't sharp enough to do the job. I must have gotten a bad blade because I have used a few Black Beauties in the past with great success.

Soap: Stirling Electric Sheep
Razor: Le Grelot 6/8
Brush: Simpson Colonel
Aftershave: Witch Hazel / Skin Bracer
Balm: Nivea Sensitive

Went back to using warm/hot water shaves for about a week but decided to switch back to cold water shaves. It was a nice change of pace and a warm lather feels fantastic, but I enjoy the extra feedback I seem to get with cold water and my face feels a little better. It's just a refreshing way to start the morning.

Top Bottom