What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

A frosty Saturday morning. Looking like proper winter outside.

Thiers Issard 11/16 round point straight razor
Semogue 610 boar brush
Stirling "Triumph" soap
Antonio Puig "Quorum" aftershave

The TI is the simple (and effective) black plastic scaled model. I don't think I've had a bad shave off it (if that's not tempting fate). The Semogue 610 (black) falls into the same bracket - a nice piece of kit at a low price. The Stirling soaps are another reliable favourite, and the smell of this one suggested the aftershave.

A good start to the morning. I'll throw it a "9".

SOTD

H&S N075 razor
PAA stranglet blade (1)
Grooming dept pre shave
Grooming dept strawberry rhubarb soap
Dogwood handcrafts synthetic brush
Captains choice obsidian copper shaving bowl

Found blade tuggy but efficient on 1st pass. Could really feel it. However not a single weeper and a successful 2 pass shave leaving a bbs finish.

Finding the Grooming dept mallard base superb in every sense of the word. Hopeful that they release more great products.

Only the second time I have used this razor since buying it. My fault for keep adding hardware to my collection. The mixed metal combo works well.

9.5/10

20220115_110312.jpg

15 January 2022
20220115_054929.jpg

Prep:
Nivea Men’s Face Wash
Razor:
King C. Gillette—China/Germany
Lathering:
Cella—Green—Italy Using very hot tap water
Blade:
Personna—Israel Shave #5
Lathering Brush:
Omega—1126--Italy
Bowl:
Homemade lathering bowl (from an old soap container)
Passes:
WTG / ATG / buffing--light
Cleanup:
Rinsed & dried face f/b Alum f/b Witch Hazel rubdown
Aftershave:
AV Musk
Rating(s):
9.8 BBS
Comments:
A fantastic shave to start a very windy chilly morning.
For Today: Token stubble, no nicks or weepers.

Razor: Muhle R41
Blade: Nacet
Brush: Simpsons Synthetic
Soap: Proraso Tube
Rating: 8

Tried a Nacet I got from a blade sampler, just to see if maybe the first one I tried was a dud. Nope. My face doesn't like theses. Strange though the second pass was better than the first.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - Cremo Classic shave soap (applied by hand - tube)
Soap: Zingari Man The Wanderer
Brush: Semogue Pharos synthetic
Razor: Wolfman WR1 SS SB .74
Blade: Lord Asco (1)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Stirling Witch Hazel & Aloe (Bay Rum scent) - Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: WSP Mahogany splash

Tremendous shave! My face and neck are super smooth. DFS/BBS with no blood. Honestly, wasn't much work to do as the Karve Brass OC did a great job yesterday morning, but I decided to use my most aggressive razor this morning anyway. Not disappointed. Smooth shave. Haven't used WSP Mahogany in a while...a very strong, masculine scent...good cold weather scent. One other note...The Wanderer is now showing the bottom of the tub. It's such a good scent and a good performing soap...that I actually may replace it when it's gone.

Happy Shaves, Everyone.

A_20220115_093639.jpg

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Jan 15th 2022

Razor: Yaqi 316 V2 "Tile" with a Yaqi 316 Razzo rocket handle- Mfg 2021> Version2, Nice Tame mid range, very enjoyable shave with the V2 model that has better quality control (QC), this razor has a small sweet spot angle easy to find and is just right for those days you just want a decent shave from a hang over. V2 Tile razor works good and much better than the V1 they sold me, Yaqi corrected their QC it seems. Very acceptable machined surfaces that hold the blade with no issues, good machined tolerances on the V2 Tile razor IMO.
Blade: Gillette Astra SP(1), excellent blade, Sharp & smooth. I use this blade most of the time testing new razors as my standard.
Soap: Razorock Don Marco, nice citrus scent with excellent lather qualities. Nice scented soap to cheer up a person in winter.
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Moka 2 band badger, Excellent lather generator, big pillow soft tips, nice scrubber, nice lather painter.
Pre shave: brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Italian barber Amici, nice AS with witch hazel + dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion + scentless.
Results: 9.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17:excellent shave with my Yaqi SS V2 tile razor with a Gillette Astra.
SOTD Jan 15 , 2022.jpg

Have a great shave!

Soap: Stirling Electric Sheep
Razor: Le Grelot 6/8
Brush: Shavemac Beagle
Aftershave: Witch Hazel / Skin Bracer
Balm: Nivea Sensitive

Took to the stones last night for practice on my Gold Dollar and made some mistakes. Kept killing the edge for some reason on the 4k and was not able to diagnose why. It's just a practice razor for honing so I don't really care too much about it but it was a slight blow to my confidence so this morning I took the T.I. to my finisher for a little bit just to gain back some confidence and get some extra practice. I've gotten competent edges (for me anyway) on a few razors at this point, and last nights GD escapade was a humbling experience which will yield valuable knowledge moving forward once I get the blade figured out again.

Edge on the T.I. felt perfectly fine, so didn't screw anything up. The T.I. feels a lot more comfortable to handle while honing which certainly had a lot to do with it. I really love this razor. Just a really nice 2 pass DFS without irritation. Did get a little "peek-a-boo" weeper going XTG and it didn't show up until after applying balm.

Been SR shaving and honing for about a year at this point and still having a blast and learning a ton every step of the way.

Giving this shave a 9

Razor: GEM PushButton (Gold) 1958 - 1965
Blade: GEM (Personna) PTFE (9)
Brush: Henri et Victoria - High Mountain White Badger 22mm
Pre-Shave: CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser
Lather: Strike Gold Shave: "Happyland Barbershop"
Aftershave: Strike Gold Shave - "Happyland Barbershop"
3A11FDE0-42B7-433E-963E-369B67DF524C.jpeg

Shave Rating: 10/10
Harper Happy Valley BBS
I struck gold on todays shave. Even my razor is golden.
Studio grade shave soap and high end push button razor technology made for a carefree futuristic shave.
I have experienced the future and it is compelling.

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Colonial General V2 SS
Blade: Kai ProTouch MG (5)
Soap: Sir Henry's Black & Tan
Bowl: Blue PAA Travel Scuttle
Brush: Semogue Cherry Wood handle SOC Two Band Badger
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Proraso Red AS
Rating: 10/10 Two pass BBS shave with no touch ups. No weepers, cuts or irritation. Excellent shave. Third day using Sir Henry's Black and Tan and still impressed.

8797CE4C-69DA-452D-98C0-E13CC01E20E8.jpeg

Just my usual travel set up placed on the same shelf at my girlfriends you guys have seen before. Different vintage Gillette each time though. This time it’s a 1940’s tech with aGSB. A departure from my usual SCP blades, quite smooth. I enjoy the amber Col Conk every time but it’s running low. Hope I like the bay rum as much. Time for a thicker moisturizer though. It was -18 the other day here in MN!! Growing back my winter beard is bittersweet since entering the rabbit hole this year. A hobby that actually makes one grateful of being bald, love it! 9/10 Wishing you gentlemen all the best this weekend

linty1

My wallet cries.
Did you smoosh the tabac stick into an old Sterling container?
Yes, At first I was grating it, but then it was clogging up the grate holes so I just cut it into thing slices and smooshed it in. There's a surprising amount of soap in the tabac shave stick... 3.5 oz, almost a 4oz pour of it.

20220114_084939.jpg

Razor: Gillette 1963 I2 Slim Adjustable
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Simpson Butterscotch Chubby 2 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Noble Otter The Noir et Vanille
Aftershave: Proraso Green Splash
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Rose Petal
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Ten.

@ouchyfoot- glad you're in Happy Land today!

Saturday, a great two-pass shave, 9+/10, DFS+, no mishaps. just close and smooth today, not much shy of BBS:

Razor: Maxwell June, twinned DE- each pass with this is like 1 1/2
Blade: Treet Dura Sharp blue (2)- After using the blade in a FB Tech yesterday I loaded it into the Maxwell June, which breaks the blade in half, so it's there until binned; I'm not sure what I was expecting from a carbon steel blade, but it shaved fine, not overly sharp, yet nicely smooth; today's shave was a bit closer than yesterday's, which is attributable to the change in razor; I'll be trying a few more carbon blades in the next few weeks
Soap: DG Yuzu/Rose/Patchouli- scent is a little much for me, bit once in a while I'll reach for it; performance is excellent
Brush: Vulfix 1000A Pure Badger- low-cost, a bit scratchy, but it's still breaking in
Post-shave: cold rinse, DG Yuzu/Rose/Patchouli AS- nice face feel with a little menthol

Hope you're having a great weekend!

PXL_20220115_174848328.jpg

Top Bottom