What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Todays shave on a 3 day beard.

My 39c Sledgehammer with a Merkur blade and the Bodyshop aloe Vera cream.
Alum block and the Geo F Trumper skin food.

Shave was really good though got one nick on my neck, though in fairness this was due to carelessness rather than the razor.

Nowadays I prefer to do just 2 passes (W and X) as the shave is so close and it’s better for my sensitive skin.

Shave score 9/10.

Jason.

Last edited:
4E496CF0-1DD7-4151-941A-3AF9D5FEF695.jpeg
Cold water prep
Grooming Dept pre shave
MdC original soap, bowl lathered with 5 drops argan oil
Semogue TSN 2020 LE boar
Timeless 0.68, new GSB blade
Wholly Kaw balm

A perfect 10

Regards,
Stan

5839DC06-FB50-4A08-8651-64CB5300274D.jpeg

Soap: TFS Mattino
Brush: TGN Silvertip
Razor: Razorock Lupo .72
Blade: PermaSharp (3)

Good morning! Incredibly nice shave this morning. Mattino makes great lather, very slick, and it smells amazing. Three drama free passes. I think I’m going to get a quantity of these PermaSharp blades. Very sharp and smooth. Finished with Speick

10/10

26 October 2021
20211026_063209.jpg

Prep:
Face wash using Old Spice shower soap.
Razor:
King C Gillette (KCG) Closed Comb --China & Germany
Lathering Cream:
Proraso Green—Italy Using rain / tap water
Blade:
Azmusebat--Derby Premium—Turkey Shave #5 and out
Lathering Brush:
Gray Dog--Ohio
Bowl:
Fine Stoneware
Passes:
WTG and ATG lots of buffing
Cleanup:
Rinsed and dried face, f/b Dickinson’s Witch Hazel f/b Alum rub down.
Aftershave:
Jeris Musk for Men—USA
Rating(s):
9.0 CCS
Comments:
A dulling blade yielded a basic shave. For today, lot of stubble, with no nicks or weepers.

With heavy rain storm(s) coming through overnight, I hope harvest lots of rain water for shaving.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
It's be kind to my face week!

Tuesday's shave

Pre-shave:
shower & Proraso red preshave cream
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89
Blade: Schick Plus Platinum #3
Soap: Cella Extra Extra Bio
Brush: Ever Ready 150 reknotted with TGN 24" silvertip fan
Post shave: Thayer's WH, followed by Cella red A/S

DFS+, 9.5 / 10

Mmmmmm, face is coming back into shape nicely now on shave #2 of be kind to my face week. Two things jumped out at me today.

1. Cella Extra Extra Bio may have just jumped to the best-for-your-face shave lather ever, and it's slick as greased owl snot, and protective during the shave, to boot! I used to think TOBS Avocado Cream may have been the best for your face on the planet. this may have dethroned that one, which is good because the TOBS Avocado was recently discontinued.

2. I think the Edwin Jagger is very underrated around here. While just about everyone recommends it as a "beginner's choice" I often get the feeling it's not considered a "real razor" for experienced shavers--sort of like a razor with training wheels or something. It's actually a fantastic shaver! Lot's of us who have been at this for 10+ years even with grizzled old grampa whiskers sing the praises of some mild classics like Fat Handled Techs and 1940's Super Speeds ... but the DE89 doesn't seem to get much respect. I think it's as good a shaver as I've ever used! I do like mild razors, but this is a wonderful "grown up" razor" IMO.

2021-10-26_shave.jpg

Prep: Sauna, warm shower, cold shower
Soap: Santa Maria del Fiore
Razor: ATT Windsor SSH1, with DE89 handle
Blade: Nacet (1)
Afters: Alum block, Santa Maria del Fiore

Three passes (sort of), minimal cleanup.

Rating; 9.5/10

First shave with the H1. So far I like it. Very efficient, and a good but comfortable level of blade feel. Got an excellent shave, BBS in most places, but I was so focused on angle and pressure I deviated from my normal pattern and missed a few spots. No irritation or other problems, and very minimal feedback from the alum.
So far the razor seems to like riding the cap, but I'll have to experiment with the angle the rest of this week to dial it in.

I just got a notification that my Atlas handle is out for delivery today, so will have the proper handle to shave with tomorrow morning.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, OCtober 26th 2021

Razor: Razorock Old type open comb-Mfg 2015,milder range, have not used this beauty since the last OCtober possibly, put in a Kai blade and man this baby perform today. The Kai blade cranked it up a nice notch to my sweet spot for shaving, very comfortable shave. Use to be my old travel razor with a standard blade, hard to nick your self when in the tropical climates.
Blade : Kai SS (3) excellent blade, sharp & Smooth with excellent longevity. Extra wide by 4.5/1000 of a inch per side than a standard Gillette Astra blade. Gives milder razors a nice boost in efficentcy or for those who just enjoy blade feel in any razor.
Soap: Ogallala Bayrum with sage & cedar wood, nice scent + great lather qualities. Have been using a water mister lately when mixing lathers and this has helped keeping this soap from being so airy IMO. Nice soap regardless.
Brush: Yaqi 24mm tuxedo knot, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: witch hazel cleanse + Ogallala Bayrum with sandal wood + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizer lotion balm(scentless)
Results: 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:excellent shave with my RR old type OC with a Kai blade.
SOTD, Oct 26.2, 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Shave 1.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Facial Soap
Soap/Cream
GD Asinus
Brush
Paladin El Dorado
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Merkur 37C
Blade
Kai
Aftershave
Thayers WH & Neutrogena Triple Protect
Fragrance
Jimmy Choo, Man Intense
Rating
10/10
Comments
I will be traveling for the next two weeks so this is my last home shave for a while. Today’s have is the fourth shave in a row with the Merkur 37C and Kai blade. Once again, the razor-blade combo was outstanding. An incredibly smooth, close shave. 45th use of the GD Asinus soap. A nice, slick lather. A perfect shave today: BBS with no irritation. Have a great day and see you soon.

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Colonial General SS V2
Blade: Kai ProTouch MG
Soap: Barrister & Mann Reserve Classic
Bowl: PAA Blue Travel Scuttle
Brush: RazoRock/Zenith 506UK Boar
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Proraso Red AS
Rating: 10/10 Excellent 2 pass BBS with no touch ups. No weepers, cuts or irritation. Overall a supurb shave.

Today’s shave:

Razor:
Viking Chieftain
Blade: Derby Premium (day 3 of use)
Brush: Jequil Corenvveo
Cream: Proraso shaving cream (green)
AS: Power Stick soothing balm

Best shave yet, nice and close, no nicks or weepers, but I’m retiring this blade for a fresh one next shave. Don’t want to push the Derby blade past three shaves.

Found this after shave at Dollar Tree for a buck and really liked it.

Attachments

• B629CC85-6F50-4B31-B6E6-6E8929280549.jpeg
    B629CC85-6F50-4B31-B6E6-6E8929280549.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 2

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Today is
TUESDAY
26 October, 2021

______

Razor: RazoRock "Mamba 70"
Blade: Lord "Platinum"
Pre: CeraVe "Moisturizing Bar" + Elegance Plus gel
Brush: RazoRock 24mm "Hive"
Lather: Long Rifle "Brown Bess"
Balm: CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion
Frag: Caron "Pour Un Homme"

Rating: 10/10
In a Brown Bess mood this morning.
Had a real hankerin' for some of
that "Cherry Blend" scent.

Lathered up beautifully and
smoothed the way to a
tip-top BBS shave.

Figure I have at least one
or two good shaves left on
this blade. I will miss it
(though I have 98 more).

Now to go and see
what mischief today's
nor'easter has wrought.

Stay healthy,

Bill

SOTD

Rocnel elite medium
GSB (1)
Barrister and mann soft heart figarose set
Saponificio Varesino bowl
PAA starcraft brush

Ooh what a shave. The gillette silver blue sung and mowed. The rocnel is just so goddamm smooth. The scent on the figarose is one of my current favourites.

10/10
20211026_161257.jpg

Lupo.95,Astra SS(3),Tabac(tallow),Simpsons Duke2,Thayers,Prorasso splash.Nivea sensitive,Prorasso green.Another superb shave with the Lupo easy BBS no cuts,weepers or irritation.The Astra SS works really well in the lupo and the Tabac performed as good as ever one of my favorite soaps.Really nice shave today i'll give it a 9/10.Take care happy shaves everyone.
20211026_160533[1].jpg

Tuesday's Tabac comparison shave, three passes then a bit of clean up, 10/10, BBS, half my face shaved with the Maxwell June and a Red Personna, while the other half with a Feather AC SR and a Feather Pro, no weepers or mishaps, smooth and sweet! I've been missing the feel of an AC shave for a bit, so I decided to do this shave-off today. The results were equally close and smooth, although the DE half did take more clean up to get there. There's something about the thicker, stiffer AC, injector, and Gem blades that gives a much different feel for me than a DE blade; not any closer a shave, just different- they're both great and much fun; I love our hobby:

Pre-shave: warm shower w/ a goat's milk soap
Razors: Maxwell June twinned DE and Feather AC SR
Blade: Red Israeli Personna (2)- blade smoothed out nicely today and did a tidy job on one side; the Feather AC Pro (8) did a fine job on the other side
Brush: Omega Jade boar- simply a great boar brush for me; the tips have softened, so they are now gentle and massaging making this brush just so nice to use- funny but while I'm typing @Cesare just posted his Jade
Soap: Tabac tallow stick- always makes a great face lather, and with excellent performance for a mass-market soap
Post-shave: cold rinse, then Tabac AS lotion- face feels smooth and just great

Have some great shaves!

PXL_20211026_152701708.jpg

Oct 26th
PreshavePAA Mentholated Cube
BrushSOC Ash Wood Finest Badger
BowlCC Copper
SoapB&M Hallows Soft Heart base
RazorWolfman WR2 1.15 SB
BladeWizamet Polsilver Stainless (26)
Post ShaveAlum followed by Witch Hazel
After ShaveB&M Hallows Splash
BalmB&M Hallows Balm
FragB&M Hallows Frag
RatingDFS+ 9.7/10 No irritation and One nick

Hallows shave with Soft Heart base this time. No itchiness that I had with Hallows Excelsior base. Maybe it was something else. I will try again with the Excelsior. I took two days growth down with the WR2 1.15. My neck is pretty smooth for the most part. My chin, soul patch, and, upper lip could be better. Next week I will add the shim to try 1.25. It was a good shave. I didn't chase BBS which I wouldn't achieve anyway. Alum gave very little feedback. There was no irritation, though I did get a small nick going ATG on the underside of my chin. The Unobtainium blade performed stellar once again. I got my Wizamet Iridium Supers made in Poland yesterday. I really want to shave with one of those and see how long they last. If the Stainless is any indication I see good things for my favored blade in it's vintage incarnation. Then again, I also want to try my other vintage blades. Patience was never one of my virtues.

Top Bottom