What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Razor: Gillette - 1955 Red Tip SuperSpeed (Birth Year)
Blade: Personna - Super Stainless (Electro-Coated) Vintage (1st)
Brush: Dscosmetic - Cashmere 26mm
Pre-Shave: Stirling Pink Clay - Facial Bar Soap
Lather: Spearhead Shaving - Seaforth! Heather
Aftershave: Spearhead Shaving - Seaforth! Heather (toner)
986D20BB-58DD-4839-86D0-D9D27CCEB160.jpeg

Shave Rating: 10/10
Seeing Red!
No, I’m not boiling mad, I’m just happy to shave with my beloved Red Tip. It’s always a pleasure.
I decided it was time to give these vintage Personna blades a try. They actually came with the razor when I purchased it. I have no idea when these blades were manufactured.
2BE1DD40-42E9-4F3E-A445-DA6EAC8FD18A.jpeg

The shave went well. The blade was as smooth as silk. What more could a man ask for.
The Seaforth Heather was uber thick and creamy. I whipped up way too much. Note to self: Use less!
While I was building my lather I was thinking it was much like PAA CK6.
The matching aftershave feels nice and leaves me smelling like a chick magnet. This is a toner, so if you crave that “afterburn”, you may not appreciate it as much.

Kept it old school simple today, with a 24-hour beard:

Gillette postwar fat-handled Tech in champagne gold/Feather (3?)

Trumper's Almond cream; Tabac in stick form as a pre-shave/wash

Semogue boar brush

Pre-shower, Ghost Town Barber AS; post-shower, Clubman Special Reserve, Assured lotion (no powder today)

No workout, so a quick face wash with Tabac soap (why not?) preceded face-lathering the Trumper's with the soaked and squeezed-out brush. No skin stretching today. Pass 1, WTG; pass 2, throat only, ATG, with some XTG and cleanup in the same pass. Smoother than I would have thought with only 1/2 passes!

Verdict: 9.4.

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Timeless TI .68SB
Blade: Personna Platinum
Soap: Stirling Barbershop
Bowl: Blue Timeless Bowl
Brush: Semogue Cherry Wood Handle SOC Best Badger
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Proraso Red AS
Rating: 10/10 Excellent 3 pass BBS with no touch ups. No weepers, cuts or irritation. Very good shave! New blade made all the difference!

Today’s shave

Preshave: From Slock’s mad scientist lab Slock’s universal, certified soon to be internationally famous proprietary shaving oil blend.
Razor: Canadian Prewar Tech
Blade: GSB

Soap: St. James of London Tonka and Tobacco flower. First shave with this. Nice and slick. Scent is tobacco forward.
Brush: PAA Peregrino
Balm Stirling unscented balm.
Aftershave: Old Spice

DFS+

@Kaldane - The Omega 10019 boar has taken effort to get its current state of niceness, but it's okay now. I did pick out a few really coarse bristles and still soak it longer than most before use. Hope you enjoy yours!

Sunday late-morning shave, two-passes, plus clean-up, 10/10, BBS-, no weepers, irritation, or much stubble remaining; loving the Brooklyn water, seems everything lathers well here:

Pre-shave: cool shower
Razors: Occam's Razor- two-dot head
Blade: Feather AC Pro (4)
Brush: Omega 10019 scrubby small boar-
Soap: The Blades Grim Luxury Shaving soap- got a fine lather this morning leading to a very close and wonderful shave
Post-shave: cold rinse, then a very healthy splash of Epsilon Amber AS, I think I prefer the Floid offerings a little better, but this little bottle traveled well; I'll probably leave it in Brooklyn for my next visit.

Have a most wonderous week!

PXL_20210926_145757736.jpg

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
Stirling Spice soap
Stirling synthetic brush
Henson AL13 Mild
Personna Lab Blue (2nd day)
Old Spice aftershave

I got brave today and the lather was exceptional. I did a full 3 pass including against the grain. I do not recall ever going against the grain in my life. WOW what a great shave. The Old Spice stung like it never has before, but my face feels GREAT!! I will know in 12 hours if I just got the best shave of my life or if I made a terrible mistake.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Sunday's shave
The Forgotten Blades edition

Pre-shave: shower
Razor: Merkur Slant 37C-HD
Blade: NOS Schick Plus Platinum, Teflon coated, #6
Soap: TOBS Jermyn Street
Brush: Stirling synthetic tuxedo
Post shave: Thayer's WH folowed by Floid, The Original A/S splash

DFS, 9.0 / 10

Nice! Still

snooth.JPG

Love the blade, the Merkur has always been perplexing to me because I don't feel like it shaves very differently than the plain Merkur 34C. If it shaves closer, then maybe I would not have rated this shave as highly as I did for #6 otherwise. I will di #7 tomorrow in the flare tip again.

2021-09-26_shave.jpg

I had a 9.8 shave with a Leaf Twig and Nacet blade. I don’t use this razor often enough and end up forgetting how fantastic it is. The built-in angle and small head make it an exceptionally easy razor to use. My face is very thin so getting under my chin is tricky with most razors but the Twig fits perfectly so the XTG pass is flat and efficient. It’s only a 9.8 because I overdid it with the pressure and had a bit of irritation.

D65B8F90-DE68-4807-A138-43226A829AC2.jpeg

Prep: Marlowe Pre-shave soap/ Hot water rinse / Marlowe Soap again as Pre-Shave
Brush: Parker Silvertip Badger
Soap: Captain's Choice Bay Rum
Blade: Gilette Wilkinson Sword (India)
Razor: Rockwell 6S R4
Post: Alum Block/ Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel/ Gillette After Shave Gel
Rating: 8.75/10 Blade/razor combo seemed too mild and areas required extra passes

20210925_081827.jpg

Razor: Schick C2 Simplified Automatic Razor
Blade: Schick Injector
Brush: Simpson Duke 3 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Caswell-Massey Newport
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten

Used New Tabac soap, which was
applied with an Omega boar brush
and shaved with a 1948-1950 Gillette Super Speed razor
loaded with a Gillette Rubie razor blade.
Finished with witch hazel and Fabergé Brut 33 aftershave.

Two pass shave. It's what you'd expect from a two pass shave. So I'll give it a 10/10 for what it is.

Razor: Gillette PII Trac II handle
Blade: Personna Twin with lubricating strip (Trac II compatible) (shave 6)
Brush: Omega Sintex synthetic
Soap: Palmolive shave stick
Rating: 9.9

Today's rushed shave on 1 day of growth. BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes, except for a tiny near BBS area along the left jawline, and no nicks or irritation.

This is the closest shave that I've gotten from a cart since when I first started shaving with Trac II style heads as a young adult a million years ago with soft whiskers. I credit my switch from Arko to Palmolive in my travel kit for this excellent result.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210926_171631~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (3)
Brush: Rudy Vey The Favorite (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: PannaCrema Nuàvia Blu
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Epsilon Scottish Spirit
Fragrance: Lagerfeld Classic EdT Spray

Superb shave! :cool:

Check out my Journal for shave notes and other musings:
never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/

Sept Stirling SR Sun 26
Soap Stirling Haverford
Brush BOTI 26mm Fan Silvertip
Razor P Hospital Le Grelot Thiers
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel BayRum + Stirling Haverford Splash & Balm!
Awesome sweet tobaccoist scent from the soap. The lather was creamy and slick too...one of my favorite for sure!
SR adventures continue with this excellent razor! Enjoyed the nice smooth pasted balsa edge in 3passes without any issues for a dfs/ccs result. Matching aftershaves were awesome as well! Rating 9.6/10
View attachment 1334523
Haverford is such a sleeper! Whatever that undertone is that comes from the soap scent....almost like a cedar-y smell (maybe that is the tobacco?).... I just want my whole house to smell like it.

Top Bottom