What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Lupo.95,Nacet(1),MWF,Simpsons Duke2,Thayers,Prorasso aftershave,Nivea sensitive,Prorasso green pre/post.Superb shave today easy BBS no cuts,weepers or irritation.The fat was fantastic as usual it's as good as it gets for me.It's got to be a 10/10.Take care happy shaves everyone.
20210925_153652[1].jpg

@LMcC - glad you like my MWF stick. I had a puck that was almost done and had also dried out, so I soaked the soap remaining and gently pressed it into a deodorant stick for traveling. Seems to work fine and lasts, too!

Saturday mid-morning shave, two-passes, plus some clean-up, 10/10, BBS, no weepers, irritation, or stubble remaining; got to love the NYC water:

Pre-shave: cool shower
Razors: Occam's Razor
Blade: Feather AC Pro (3)
Brush: Omega 10019 scrubby small boar
Soap: La Toja stick- maybe I used more product, or the scrubby little boar was just right, but my lather today was slick and robust
Post-shave: cold rinse, then AV Musk AS; I must have bought this here on a prior trip and now remember why it's still full. I'm a huge fan of the AV Classic Ice Blue, but this one smelled quite synthetic and medicinal to me this morning; didn't get much else in the dry down.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

PXL_20210925_150710998.jpg

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Timeless TI .68SB
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Soap: Stirling Barbershop
Bowl: Blue Timeless Bowl
Brush: Semogue Cherry Wood Handle SOC Best Badger
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Syptic Pencil, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Polo Double Black EDT
Rating: 9.75/10 Very Good 3 pass BBS with two touch ups. Three weepers my fault, no cuts or irritation. Very good shave! Realized after the shave that is time to change the blade.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Slantemper Sept 25th 2021

Razor: Razorock German 37 slant- Mfg 2016> Excellent slant razor, some blade overhang, some minor adjusting of blade.
Blade: Polsilver SI (3) Great blade Sharp & smooth with good longevity, I like to cork this blade on 1st shave(iridium is a hard coating), enjoyable blade.
Soap: Razorock XXX- nice scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi 22 mm Cola synthetic, excellent lather generator, precision lather applier, soft cloud like tips, great scrubber + great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock XXX with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturiser balm( excellent + scentless)
Results : 9.5/10 CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: excellent shave with my RR German 37 slant + a Polsilver SI blade.

SOTD,  Sep 25th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

20210924_080820.jpg

Razor: Gillette 1940s Gold Fat Tech
Blade: Feather Hi Stainless
Brush: Simpson Butterscotch Chubby 2 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Noble Otter The Noir et Vanille
Aftershave: Maurer and Wirtz 4711
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Saturday's shave
The Forgotten Blades edition

Pre-shave: shower
Razor: Flare tip SS, not sure of date, but has the later, smaller head
Blade: NOS Schick Plus Platinum, Teflon coated, #5
Soap: TOBS Jermyn Street
Brush: Ever Ready reknotted 150, 24mm TGN silvertip
Post shave: Thayer's WH folowed by Floid, The Original A/S splash

DFS, 9.0 / 10

Well, no worries that this blade is a 3-4 shave blade, it's still going strong, we'll see if it will go a week, but I'm betting it will. I cannot figure out why, but this is clearly more comfortable than any current production blade, bar none. I state that as a categorical, I do not believe it is subject to YMMV. DE razor technology seems to have peaked around the end of the 1950's but blade technology continued to improve into at least the early 1970's apparently. Why no blade today is as comfortable starting with shave #1 is a great mystery to me. Phil made me aware that the dome height on Gillette's TTO razors got smaller with later designs and this one has a smaller dome on the head than my 1940's SS, I'll have to get out the magnifier and see what the date code is. There was a post along the lines of "what razor can you 'drive it like you stole it' and not get into trouble" and this combination, for me, would be unbeatable. It shaved a bit closer than the fat handle tech yesterday, too.

TOBS is always reliably wonderful, and I like the Jermyn Street scent very much. The new re-release of the Floid seemed to be made for this cream. I may sit with this exact shave combo for the next two days.

2021-09-25_shave.jpg

Last edited:
Today is my 1st Anniversary of Traditional Shaving with 350 shaves in the past year.
I selected preferred equipment to mark the occasion:
tempImageTkQhjG.jpg

Brush: PAA Green Ray
Lather: Stirling Havercherry
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Green (1)
Razor: Blackbird

Fantastic shave today, I really nailed it. BBS- results with a few weepers that vanished in the final rinse. The Havercherry soap blend provided ideal mentholation, which combined with minimal feedback from the Clubman splash, was just right. I am just starting to explore steeper angles with the Blackbird and am pleasantly surprised at the post-shave results: zero irritation or sensitivity. This has to be a 10/10 again.

Well, I didn't save any money this year, but at least I'm not spending it on carts anymore! Here's to many more years to come. Thanks B&B.

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Hawkins and Brimble Face Wash
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave Oil
- Saponificio Varesino Opuntia

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Stirling Tea Tree, Witch Hazel & Aloe
- Hylamide Skin Serums
- Arran Lochranza Aftershave Balm

Tools
- 1960's Tech on an EJ handle
- BIC Chrome Platinum (2)
- Omega Jade (011842)

Fragrance for the day:
Floris Honey Oud EDP

Shave Rating: 8/10
Second shave with the 60's tech and it feels a lot better with a heavier handle compared to the original plastic one! Mild but a better shave today with no irritation, although a bit of Alum sting.
Final shave with Opuntia in my current rotation, probably my highest rated soap for performance, scent and post shave feel. Luckily I have 5 other SV soaps in my den so I won't be without SV in my rotation for long!

Razor: 1958 Gillette TV Special (Super Speed)
Blade: Nacet SS (2)
Brush: RazoRock Barber 24 synthetic
Soap: Proraso Green
Rating: 9.9

Today's shave on 3+ days of growth. BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes, and no irritation, but one tiny nick under the nose.

Great shave with the Nacet blade today. I still can't tell the difference between it and the Astra SS, though.

Today is my 1st Anniversary of Traditional Shaving with 350 shaves in the past year.
View attachment 1334208

Fantastic shave today, I really nailed it. BBS- results with a few weepers that vanished in the final rinse. The Havercherry soap blend provided ideal mentholation, which combined with minimal feedback from the Clubman splash, was just right. I am just starting to explore steeper angles with the Blackbird and am pleasantly surprised at the post-shave results: zero irritation or sensitivity. This has to be a 10/10 again.

Well, I didn't save any money this year, but at least I'm not spending it on carts anymore! Here's to many more years to come. Thanks B&B.
Happy Shaverssary!!!

Razor: Super Speed
Blade: Feather
Brush: PAA Peregrino
Soap: PAA Grolstice (this is a mashup PAA did with Grove and Solstice)
AS: PAA Solstice
Beard Oil: PAA Solstice

10/10

The Grolstice mashup is a very good scent combo. It seems to be a random easter egg that pops up when surfing the PAA website.

View attachment 1334208

Great post. I don't know my anniversary. Glad you are here .

Soap: Stirling Scots Pine Sheep
Razor: GEM 1912
Blade: GEM blue star (did not survive) / Stainless
Brush: Simpson Special pure
Aftershave: Witch Hazel / VIBR
Balm: Nivea Sensitive

Forgot I had a few GEM blade variants, so gave the blue star one a try. Binned after 2 strokes. I'd rather listen to someone scratching their fingernails down a chalkboard.... it was almost laughable. I do recall this blade being better, so I'm sure it was a dud. Finished off the shave with a regular stainless blade with good result.

10/10

Today, a 48-hour beard on Slant Saturday:

Hoffritz vintage slant/Personna Lab Blue blade (3?)

Erasmic red-lid soap

AP Shave Co. synth brush

Clubman Special Reserve AS, Assured lotion, Clubman powder

No workout or shower this morning. I washed the phiz with Dial soap, then dabbed on some Erasmic as a pre-shave, followed by actual face-lathering. I got the soap a little too wet at first; I dried the puck and tried again, much better. Pass 1, WTG, skin-stretching for the face; pass 2, throat only, ATG, with skin stretching; pass 3, XTG and cleanup. A very smooth result without irritation or nicks.

Verdict: 9.6.

Top Bottom